Thread: Chris Williamson should he stay or go

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Chris Williamson should he stay or go

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes or no will do
    Doesn't really do for me.

I don't know his background.

If we are specifically talking about what he said that got him suspended, stay.

If there is a history of other offences then I would have another think.

Doesn't help that he looks evil.

Re: Chris Williamson should he stay or go

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Doesn't really do for me.

I don't know his background.

If we are specifically talking about what he said that got him suspended, stay.

If there is a history of other offences then I would have another think.

Doesn't help that he looks evil.
    Like you I don't know a lot about Chris Williamson's past comments or actions.

However, the incident he was suspended for, and the words he used (and subsequently clarified), should not have resulted in suspension, let alone the expulsion that the Labour PLP right, the LFI and their media supporters are demanding. It is a witch hunt, and a proxy complaint for the anti-Corbyn agenda.

Williamson said two things at that member meeting in Sheffield - that he thought the leadership had caved in too far to a camapign that was not justified by the evidence of anti-semitism in the Labour Party (and that it was motivated by the twin objectives of changing the leadership and shutting down criticism of Israel), and also that there is a real problem of anti-semitism that must be rooted out, just not on the scale that was claimed or inherent in support for Palestinian rights. I agree with him based on the stories and evidence that have found their way out into the public. I have seen some horrific examples of anti-semitic tropes and abuse from Labour Party members. I have seen a lot of examples of anti-Zionism labelled anti-semitism (often from Jewish critics) and I have seen descriptions of complaints and allegations put forward by Margaret Hodge and others that are presented as if from Labour Party members but are not - they are often from neo-Nazis (and several of them have been jailed in the last few years)

A few of the MPs who signed the letter today disappoint me, as I have some respect for them in other ways. But most are the 'usual suspects' who are heading into their fourth year of trying to force Corbyn out - with Watson, Hodge, Phillips and the other remaining leading figures from the Labour Friends Of Israel (the ones that didn't defect) at the forefront.

In my opinion it stinks - but it would not surprise me to see the Labour leadership cave in again and kick Williamson out. It has made concessions it didn't believe in before under similar co-ordinated pressure (like adopting all the examples to the IHRA definition of anti-semitism that have nothing to do with Jews and Jewishness and everything to do with protecting the state of Israel from criticism or non-violent resistance, like BDS).

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...jewish-members