+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Women's World cup part 2

Re: Women's World cup part 2

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Of course you can't, and if you try to you're being idiotic.

Unsurprisingly, the women's game is nowhere near as physical as the men's game and in general terms the players are nowhere near as skillful, which is hardly a revelation. However, that doesn't mean to say that women's football can't be exciting or enjoyable to watch.

There have been plenty of entertaining games in this World Cup and lots of impressive skills on show too. One thing's for sure, last night's game was far more entertaining than much of the dross City served up in the Premier League last season.
    Are you trying to suggest our Barcelona-esque passing/attacking fluent style that won plaudits from top pundits in the game was not always amazingly and exhilaratingly edge-of-the-seat entertainment of the highest order?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I went to the Barry Town v Cilftonville game last night and the entertainment and finishing served up by England Ladies looked far superior.
    I watched that game. Agree it was not entertaining but the quality was far better. Not because Barry or the Irish side were any good but because neither of them make the sort of mistakes the women make constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    I watched that game. Agree it was not entertaining but the quality was far better. Not because Barry or the Irish side were any good but because neither of them make the sort of mistakes the women make constantly.
    I referred only to entertainment and finishing.

Anyway, what is the underlying reason for pointing out that women’s teams are usually not as good as men’s teams at football? Is it that women’s football shouldn’t be given airtime until it is of a higher standard? There must be some reason this rather obvious point gets raised over and over again and perhaps that would make a more meaty discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I saw Josh McGennis try to take a throw in from the middle of the pride park pitch, Djimi Traore do a cruyff turn into his own goal, Peter Enckleman let a ball roll under his foot after a throw in. People are just focussing on the mistakes more because they're women and for some reason are desperate to talk the game down whenever possible.
    Maybe some are, as suggested, on a wind up, but I'd suggest that, for reasons I cannot begin to fathom, some men feel almost threatened by the coverage the women's game is getting at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I sat down last night fully intending to watch the whole game with an attitude that it was not the men's team, so I would not be too bothered by an England win. After about ten minutes of listening to the commentary and the pundits though I was feeling like I always do when England play in certain sports and I started watching something else around the quarter of an hour mark.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll never get over my England thing - it's got nothing to do with how I view women's football, I'd be watching every minute of every game if Wales were there and I've quite enjoyed the non England matches so far, but it's like flicking a switch with me as soon as I see the three lions or hear a chorus of Football's coming home!
    I have noticed the english men are starting to talk about 1066 when they last won something, and are now clutching to the women's team bringing home the trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I have noticed the english men are starting to talk about 1066when they last won something, and are now clutching to the women's team bringing home the trophy.
    They lost in 1066

What I will say, is every time I turn over the channel, when the adverts come on, one side is always attacking, non of this tippy tappy shit between the back 4

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    They lost in 1066

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I saw Josh McGennis try to take a throw in from the middle of the pride park pitch, Djimi Traore do a cruyff turn into his own goal, Peter Enckleman let a ball roll under his foot after a throw in. People are just focussing on the mistakes more because they're women and for some reason are desperate to talk the game down whenever possible.
    Josh’s on-pitch thrown in was at NP want it? Unless he did it twice!

What about Jobi McAnuff’s ‘stepover’.

I was pretty sure it was away.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Derby, Robbie Savage was pissing himself laughing

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    OK, I must have watched it too many times when it was on You Tube then as I was sure I was there.

CardiffCitySince1927

These things are funny in the mens game due to the rarity in which they frequent... in the women’s game the errors occur more often and at a higher level - in world cups and in the women’s champions league finals.
    One example of how many errors are made is Cardiff’s Women’s side who if you have ever watched the Cardiff City Round-Up often see at least 3 goal-scoring errors every match where either keeps decides she doesn’t know what to do.
    If we all agree, which we should, that the World Cup is the highest internationak level of Women’s football then the flaws in the dark side of their game is flabbergasting. Particularly with the teams who dealt with Wendie Renard scoring 4 (or 5 if you count the own goal) in 5. She is a centre back.

CardiffCitySince1927

However, I would also comment that the level of football in the women’s game is obviously below the men’s game. I don’t mind seeing the women’s world cup being played on mainstream television, but the thing which grinds my gears is that some women seem intent on showing “us men” up. Females claiming equality is completely fine. However, when it is unwarranted then it is an issue. For example, in sporting events where Women claim they deserve equal pay. The men’s national sides who even though they may be less successful pay out much more money. Also I believe a female tennis player said they should be paid more, however they play for a shorter period of time (correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t know as much about tennis)

Yes, but the men’s game seems to get better and better every time we warch a ladies match. People frequently talk about City not being able to string passes together and focus on defensive blunders, but all of a sudden mistakes are rarely made and the overall quality is seemingly a joy to behold.

The women’s National League only appeared in the 90’s with 10 amateur clubs and for most of the since it has been massively overshadowed by the men’s game. It is clearly still a long way behind but is improving so perhaps it can be watched in that context without being belittled at every opportunity.

Given the respective profiles and the histories of the sports (not to mention the fact that they are played by different sexes), I find it mind-numbing that people seem so determined to discredit women's football by attempting to compare it with the men's game. It's just so dumb.

Having said that, some of the finishing I've seen in this World Cup has been of a quality that Premier League superstar Oumar Niasse could only dream about. Meanwhile, there are plenty of women who can head the ball better than Kenneth Zohore and several of the goalkeepers are far more adept with the ball at their feet than Neil Etheridge and can kick it further and more accurately than him too. Also, the close control and quick, accurate passing displayed by some of the better female midfielders makes you wonder why City's highly-paid professionals found it so difficult to keep the football for much of last season.

International

Given the respective profiles and the histories of the sports (not to mention the fact that they are played by different sexes), I find it mind-numbing that people seem so determined to discredit women's football by attempting to compare it with the men's game. It's just so dumb.

Having said that, some of the finishing I've seen in this World Cup has been of a quality that Premier League superstar Oumar Niasse could only dream about. Meanwhile, there are plenty of women who can head the ball better than Kenneth Zohore and several of the goalkeepers are far more adept with the ball at their feet than Neil Etheridge and can kick it further and more accurately than him too. Also, the close control and quick, accurate passing displayed by some of the better female midfielders makes you wonder why City's highly-paid professionals found it so difficult to keep the football for much of last season.
    I tend to agree. some of the football has been very entertaining and it is such a pleasure not to see players rolling about on the floor holding their faces when they have been kicked in the leg or something. The women just get up dust themselves down and go again. (Couldn't resist that)
    The game last night France v USA was a good game to watch, and some of the passing heading and goalkeeping did much to support your comments.

I'm looking forward to the USA v England game, I just can't decide who I'd like to win.

Yes there are more errors in the women's game, they seem to turn over possession a lot more, but the excitement of the game doesn't suffer for it. At least there are regular chances, not like one team is playing keep ball.

If you're watching a British female sprinter clinch gold at the Olympics, it doesn't make that race any less exciting to know that any of the men competing at the equivalent event would have finished metres clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yes there are more errors in the women's game, they seem to turn over possession a lot more, but the excitement of the game doesn't suffer for it. At least there are regular chances, not like one team is playing keep ball.

If you're watching a British female sprinter clinch gold at the Olympics, it doesn't make that race any less exciting to know that any of the men competing at the equivalent event would have finished metres clear.
    Your last sentence depends on if there’s a sale on at NEXT !!!! Women would piss that race

CardiffCitySince1927

To flip the view on its head... the defending is of higher quality in the Premier League therefore meaning it is harder to pass/head accurately. However, we both know that was a useless comparison down to the play style and tactics we use; the idea of giving up possession for territory.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    To flip the view on its head... the defending is of higher quality in the Premier League therefore meaning it is harder to pass/head accurately. However, we both know that was a useless comparison down to the play style and tactics we use; the idea of giving up possession for territory.
    I wasn't referring to team tactics. I was talking about the ability to bring a football under control and pass it to a teammate who is in space ten or fifteen yards away - something the majority of City's players seemed to find extremely difficult to do for much of last season.

The day when the best ladies team in the world can beat the best mens team in the world is, surely, still a long, long way away, so, having got that out of the way, why can't people enjoy the women's game, which I believe has improved a lot in terms of quality in the last decade or so, for what it is?

The day when the best ladies team in the world can beat the best mens team in the world is, surely, still a long, long way away, so, having got that out of the way, why can't people enjoy the women's game, which I believe has improved a lot in terms of quality in the last decade or so, for what it is?
    I enjoyed the England game the other night and last night's game, USA v England will I'm sure be a good game, think the Americans have too much for them but will be willing England on to victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I enjoyed the England game the other night and last night's game, USA v England will I'm sure be a good game, think the Americans have too much for them but will be willing England on to victory.
    I agree, I think the US will be too strong for them, but my intention is to start the game wanting England to win - can't see my resolve lasting too long once the television coverage starts though.

I agree, I think the US will be too strong for them, but my intention is to start the game wanting England to win - can't see my resolve lasting too long once the television coverage starts though.
    Until they utter the words “NINTEEN SIXTY SIX”