+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Women's World cup part 2

CardiffCitySince1927

Re: Women's World cup part 2

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I wasn't referring to team tactics. I was talking about the ability to bring a football under control and pass it to a teammate who is in space ten or fifteen yards away - something the majority of City's players seemed to find extremely difficult to do for much of last season.
    As I said, this is down to two reasons... a) the tactics which will make someone more likely to play a thirty yarded long pass than a 10 yard short pass, so yes the tactical referance stands and b) the league are extremely effective at pressing so will hoover up obvious 10 yard passes to our own.

S
    Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    As I said, this is down to two reasons... a) the tactics which will make someone more likely to play a thirty yarded long pass than a 10 yard short pass, so yes the tactical referance stands and b) the league are extremely effective at pressing so will hoover up obvious 10 yard passes to our own.
    If they iron out all their mistakes, they may stand a chance, but if they lose, they’ll just have to dust themselves down and go again

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    S

If they iron out all their mistakes, they may stand a chance, but if they lose, they’ll just have to dust themselves down and go again

I think most would agree the skill and quality of the womens game is way behind the mens however that doesn`t stop it being a good watch. My issue is while they are out in France playing all these games who is doing the dishes and making dinner for their other halves, seems like a case of domestic neglect if you ask me.

International

Could you translate point be into English for me please?

The blonde pundit talking now is hurting my ears. She sounds like I'm listening to her from my old really shit Technika speakers.

It's down to one reason - a lack of ability.

CardiffCitySince1927

It's down to one reason - a lack of ability.
    No. I disproved that arguement.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Until they utter the words “NINTEEN SIXTY SIX”
    Lack of ‘Es’ in your diet 🤪🤪

No. I disproved that arguement.
    In your own mind perhaps, but not in reality.

In your own mind perhaps, but not in reality.
    It’s down to who they are paying against. If our midfield were playing against a women’s side they would easily keep the ball and close down and win it off the women,
    That’s fact.

It’s just a waste of time to compare the 2.

The women’s game should just be admired for what it is and not knocked because the men may be better. Same as all other sports.
    The players who have dedicated themselves to it ( and especially the many women in the tournament who gave other jobs or have sacrificed so much to be there) deserve some respect

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    It’s down to who they are paying against.
    So you're saying all of those countless times City's players failed to control the ball or needlessly gave it away last season was simply down to the opposition they were playing against?

Righto.....

So you're saying all of those countless times City's players failed to control the ball or needlessly gave it away last season was simply down to the opposition they were playing against?

Righto.....
    I can't understand why people are comparing the two. The women's game has only started to be taken seriously over the last ten years, with more investment and infrastructure. Girls haven't been encouraged to get into sport like boys have, the majority of girls who play football probably would've anyway, what's needed is the chance for all girls to be able to have a go at playing the game whether that's within an organised format or not, only then will it get better. I've enjoyed the tournament and i'm not looking at the errors, i'm more interested in the positives.

There's a sense of people(men) wanting it to fail, that's something i don't get as plenty of us have daughters, wives, mothers etc-Don't we want them to be successful and to be able to perform at the highest level? I know that i do.

There's also a sense of irony. Skilful players have always polarised opinion amongst City fans, players that tried but who struggled to control the ball or make a five yard pass were let off the hook a bit, some of them revered. It seems that a bloke who is shit at football who compensates a lack of ability with graft and character is allright, not so a Women? It's sexism, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Shhh View Post
    I watched 5 minutes if the England game. Knocked it off after the first goal. One player totally miskicked it and the England player behind her stuck her foot out and it went in.

Thought that was bad but when the commentator said "what a fantastic goal" I laughed and turned it over.
    I've just watched this on the tv for the first time and the commentator said it's been scuffed in by Jill Scott. Admittedly the woman co commentating started spouting shite

I was at the England game in Le Havre with my English born daughter. I got the tickets couple months ago before knowing who was going to be playing. Thought I'd be in a ballot didn't realise you got them on the spot! The atmosphere was a bit like NFL games at Wembley where the majority of the fans (75% minimum were French) didn't care who won.

I found supporting England was easy enough at the ground ignoring the dirge of the anthem. I've only been watching the same game on the tv for about 10 minutes and this time I'm feeling much more anti England so it must be the tv that makes it worse!!

The skill levels were decent but the speed of the game is a lot slower. Enjoyable but a different experience to a partisan rowdy crowd that I'm used to

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I can't understand why people are comparing the two. The women's game has only started to be taken seriously over the last ten years, with more investment and infrastructure. Girls haven't been encouraged to get into sport like boys have, the majority of girls who play football probably would've anyway, what's needed is the chance for all girls to be able to have a go at playing the game whether that's within an organised format or not, only then will it get better. I've enjoyed the tournament and i'm not looking at the errors, i'm more interested in the positives.

There's a sense of people(men) wanting it to fail, that's something i don't get as plenty of us have daughters, wives, mothers etc-Don't we want them to be successful and to be able to perform at the highest level? I know that i do.

There's also a sense of irony. Skilful players have always polarised opinion amongst City fans, players that tried but who struggled to control the ball or make a five yard pass were let off the hook a bit, some of them revered. It seems that a bloke who is shit at football who compensates a lack of ability with graft and character is allright, not so a Women? It's sexism, isn't it?
    That's an excellent point.

And a century ago.... When the Dick, Kerr Ladies were top of the pile.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/j...nned-by-the-fa

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48510198

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    And a century ago.... When the Dick, Kerr Ladies were top of the pile.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/j...nned-by-the-fa

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48510198
    Looking at that BBC site, I bet you Joan Briggs was popular in 1959 striking lass

11.8 million watched the England match last night, 50% share of the TV audience making it the watched thing on TV this year.

No one is interested though apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    11.8 million watched the England match last night, 50% share of the TV audience making it the watched thing on TV this year.

I really enjoyed the game, no messing, both teams trying to win the game, USA were more tactical, England were at it from the start, getting the ball forward early and supporting eachover. It's quite funny reading some of the responses as i'd say that the majority of those who are discrediting the womens game are staunch Warnockites who don't seem to give a hoot about mistakes, lost possession, enjoy a more direct style of football etc. There was a bit of that from the England team last night, it seems that some posters only prefer that kind of football if there's a pair of bollocks on the end of it. Very strange.

I watched the second half last night and have seen a few other games too. Thought it was entertaining because there was tension, and no small amount of exciting football. The disallowed goal was slick. No point in comparing it to the men’s game because it is completely different but that doesn’t stop it being entertaining in its own right.

It was full of basic errors though- the frequency was far higher than in the men’s game. I put that down to the fact that women’s football is still in its infancy though rather than an absolute lack of quality. Just look at the “penalty”- it was a mis-kick not a foul, and the penalty itself was horribly scuffed. And I am pretty sure I saw another player foul-throw a ball into the back of her own head shortly after. All things that happen in men’s pro football of course, but nowhere near as often.

The game tonight isn't anywhere near as good as last night's effort, USA an absolute shoe in to win it now, but for ancestry, c'mon you Swedes

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

Who said no one is interested? I'm not even sure who you and Tuerto are arguing with in this thread now, the board has been broadly supportive bar a handful of posters, the overall coverage has been positive and the viewing figures suggest it's been massively popular. I'm sure there's a 'twitterstorm' out there somewhere but I'm not aware of the ignorant backlash from staunch Warnockites that Tuerto talks of. People I know have either been indifferent to it or enjoyed it, I haven't met anyone who's been as offended by it as you seem to suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Who said no one is interested? I'm not even sure who you and Tuerto are arguing with in this thread now, the board has been broadly supportive bar a handful of posters, the overall coverage has been positive and the viewing figures suggest it's been massively popular. I'm sure there's a 'twitterstorm' out there somewhere but I'm not aware of the ignorant backlash from staunch Warnockites that Tuerto talks of. People I know have either been indifferent to it or enjoyed it, I haven't met anyone who's been as offended by it as you seem to suggest.
    That post becomes even more bizarre considering this thread is longer than most of the matchday threads on this board

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    That post becomes even more bizarre considering this thread is longer than most of the matchday threads on this board
    And it's at least the third such thread since the tournament started. 11.8 million viewers too, just imagine how big women's football will be when everyone stops hating it and starts taking an interest.

Had more fun watching England vs USA than any other Cardiff game last season. I’ll bet the stats for a proper football game will smash City to. They lack tempo and strength. But other than that, the women are as good as any. Stop criticizing and pretend you know what you are talking about.