+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some advice needed please

Re: Some advice needed please

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Is Pension Credit worth looking into? I would buy gold with your savings.....not counted as an asset...
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information...ension-credit/
    Personal jewellery made of gold is not counted as an asset, gold bullion certainly is counted.

OP has an alternative, New Style ESA. I think it pays the same as New Style JSA. A doctor's Fit Note (used to be Sick Note) is required to make that claim.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-suppor...e-9f183aca85b9

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Way off normal topic but l have recently been sacked from my job,something called ill health retirement no problem with that as l was struggling to do the job as l got older.Ive been very fortunate during my working life,started work in early 1972 and have never been out of work until a few weeks ago,I don’t believe l would be allowed or indeed want to claim any benefits as I’ve got savings and receive a private pension but I was wondering I’ve been reading about job seekers allowance and was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation to the one l find myself in
    If you have been used to a good life then don’t bother, nothing is for free, they will have you applying for 10 shiiiite jobs a day just to get your 37.50 a week.....keep your dignity instead....

- I think the point about 16K has been cleared up as several people have pointed out you can claim benefits based on your National Insurance record if household savings/capital is too great. There are some benefits, such as PIP, where you can claim if you're in work or out of work and with any type of savings or capital - obviously certain eligibility criteria points have to be met but these benefits won't firstly assess your NI record or income/capital/savings.
    - Severe Disability Benefit is a means-tested component but to be entitled it requires you to be on a qualifying benefit (for example the Daily Living Component of PIP), be treated as living alone (either living alone or that the other person can be disregarded) and that no one is getting paid carer's allowance for looking after you.

- Regarding New Style ESA, depending on what your pension is and how much is paid then you may find yourself having deductions made from your New Style ESA payment. Certain types of pension are ignored but others, that a periodically paid, will allow an £85 disregard before then deducting half the excess from your payment of New Style ESA. For example, if you've got one of the pensions that isn't ignored paying at £105 per week then £10 will be deducted from your New Style ESA payment. Likewise, if you work as a local councillor you may find yourself caught up in this.

Maybe calling Turn2us would be a good shout or looking on the Citizens Advice website? It can be a complicated system and important to ask whether you have a right to work legally and claim benefits in the UK, how old you are and whether your work/residence is in the UK or abroad too.

For the person who is moving from DLA to PIP may I ask if you've seen the following page: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...f-you-get-dla/

Just to say thanks to all who responded to my question much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Way off normal topic but l have recently been sacked from my job,something called ill health retirement no problem with that as l was struggling to do the job as l got older.Ive been very fortunate during my working life,started work in early 1972 and have never been out of work until a few weeks ago,I don’t believe l would be allowed or indeed want to claim any benefits as I’ve got savings and receive a private pension but I was wondering I’ve been reading about job seekers allowance and was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation to the one l find myself in
    Call DWP on 0800 917 2222.

They'll give you the most accurate advice rather than on here. I've not worked there for 15 years so my knowledge of it is out of date, as may be some of the above responses.

But if you are entitled to it due to paying your NI conts over the years claim what ever you can. You never know if it'll come in handy or even if you are just thinking of continuity of your own NI conts - they'll be covered if you claim so no shortfall in your pension. (even if you get no monetary benefit they'll cover those)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Call DWP on 0800 917 2222.

They'll give you the most accurate advice rather than on here. I've not worked there for 15 years so my knowledge of it is out of date, as may be some of the above responses.

But if you are entitled to it due to paying your NI conts over the years claim what ever you can. You never know if it'll come in handy or even if you are just thinking of continuity of your own NI conts - they'll be covered if you claim so no shortfall in your pension. (even if you get no monetary benefit they'll cover those)
    Thank you will make the call

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    - I think the point about 16K has been cleared up as several people have pointed out you can claim benefits based on your National Insurance record if household savings/capital is too great. There are some benefits, such as PIP, where you can claim if you're in work or out of work and with any type of savings or capital - obviously certain eligibility criteria points have to be met but these benefits won't firstly assess your NI record or income/capital/savings.
    - Severe Disability Benefit is a means-tested component but to be entitled it requires you to be on a qualifying benefit (for example the Daily Living Component of PIP), be treated as living alone (either living alone or that the other person can be disregarded) and that no one is getting paid carer's allowance for looking after you.

- Regarding New Style ESA, depending on what your pension is and how much is paid then you may find yourself having deductions made from your New Style ESA payment. Certain types of pension are ignored but others, that a periodically paid, will allow an £85 disregard before then deducting half the excess from your payment of New Style ESA. For example, if you've got one of the pensions that isn't ignored paying at £105 per week then £10 will be deducted from your New Style ESA payment. Likewise, if you work as a local councillor you may find yourself caught up in this.

Maybe calling Turn2us would be a good shout or looking on the Citizens Advice website? It can be a complicated system and important to ask whether you have a right to work legally and claim benefits in the UK, how old you are and whether your work/residence is in the UK or abroad too.

For the person who is moving from DLA to PIP may I ask if you've seen the following page:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...f-you-get-dla/
    Thanks for that. I've not seen that particular page, though there are a few others.
    I had my face-to-face this morning.
    It seemed to go OK, guess I'll find out in a couple of months.