+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some advice needed please

Some advice needed please

Way off normal topic but l have recently been sacked from my job,something called ill health retirement no problem with that as l was struggling to do the job as l got older.Ive been very fortunate during my working life,started work in early 1972 and have never been out of work until a few weeks ago,I don’t believe l would be allowed or indeed want to claim any benefits as I’ve got savings and receive a private pension but I was wondering I’ve been reading about job seekers allowance and was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation to the one l find myself in

Re: Some advice needed please

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Way off normal topic but l have recently been sacked from my job,something called ill health retirement no problem with that as l was struggling to do the job as l got older.Ive been very fortunate during my working life,started work in early 1972 and have never been out of work until a few weeks ago,I don’t believe l would be allowed or indeed want to claim any benefits as I’ve got savings and receive a private pension but I was wondering I’ve been reading about job seekers allowance and was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation to the one l find myself in
    If you've got £16k or more in savings you won't be eligible.

try NI contribution based ESA if you have been constantly working

Are you actually deemed medically fit or unfit for work ?
    If you are unfit for work due to medical reasons you wouldn"t be able to get job seekers even if your savings were under 16k (as you are not fit to seek work) but you may well be able to claim PIP, personal independence payment, which has replaced disability living allowance.
    If you are deemed medically "fit for work" then your sacking could well be unfair dismissal, although you have stated that you are fine with your dismissal.

Just because your firm sacked you it doesn't mean you can't claim jobseekers allowance as until your declared unfit by the social, for which they would have to assess you first ,you'll be seen as fit for work.The 16k savings bit is right though.You owe your previous employer nothing at all so the advice about checking to see if you have a claim for unfair dismissal is good.

You may also be entitled to "Ill health retirement benefits", which I think is being able to claim your state pension early https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employ...lth-retirement

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    Are you actually deemed medically fit or unfit for work ?
    If you are unfit for work due to medical reasons you wouldn"t be able to get job seekers even if your savings were under 16k (as you are not fit to seek work) but you may well be able to claim PIP, personal independence payment, which has replaced disability living allowance.
    If you are deemed medically "fit for work" then your sacking could well be unfair dismissal, although you have stated that you are fine with your dismissal.
    Had a series of interviews with occupational health set up by my employer who decided l was not able to do the job l was employed for and as there were no other vacancies within the business l was offerered ill health retirement but yes it was amicable and l did receive an amount of money from my employer.Whilst l could not continue to do that particular job I’ve not spoken to anyone else and certainly don’t feel l would be classed as unfit for certain kinds of work.

It sounds as if this could be you then as you can"t do your old job but could do a different, I assume less demanding, job. "If you are unable, through illness, to work in your present job and your condition is permanent, you may be able to retire early and take your pension benefits without actuarial reduction. This is known as a Tier 1 (lower tier) award. "
    Job seekers won"t give you anything as your savings are over 16k & you would need to be assessed as unfit to work by the DWP to claim PIP.

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    It sounds as if this could be you then as you can"t do your old job but could do a different, I assume less demanding, job. "If you are unable, through illness, to work in your present job and your condition is permanent, you may be able to retire early and take your pension benefits without actuarial reduction. This is known as a Tier 1 (lower tier) award. "
    Job seekers won"t give you anything as your savings are over 16k & you would need to be assessed as unfit to work by the DWP to claim PIP.
    Appreciate your feedback thank you,just seems strange that a system that I’ve contributed into for 46 years does nothing for you when you need it and l will have to carry any cost entailed trying to get back into employment

Do you mind me asking “how old you are” ????

Similar, but different.
    I took "voluntary" redundancy in 2007, I was struggling after a stroke and other stuff, my job was being outsourced and my building was closing, so it wasn't entirely voluntary. I thought I could get another job soon enough - how was I to know the crunch was about to affect world-wide industry?
    Anyway, I signed on for job seekers allowance, but after signing for a couple of weeks, the job centre chap told me not to be stupid and switched me to Incapacity Benefit (Later ESA) I was already on DLA from the stroke, so my GP was only too happy to certify me as sick.Since then I've taken my works pension, but as I'm on max DLA, my ESA continued unchanged (It is reduced if not max DLA)
    I've got the dreaded PIP assessment next week to move off DLA. There's been horror stories about these assessments - people have been told they're fit as they can walk their dog - when they haven't even GOT a dog!
    A welcome consequence of being on disability bens is I get a free assistant to go to watch City.

Sounds like voluntary redundancy - I presume if you started work in 72 then you're 63 ish? so only 4 years off state pension.

What sort of work did you do? - there may be something you could do for a few years till that kicks in, or as others say if you are unfit then a pip assessment may be the way forward

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Do you mind me asking “how old you are” ????
    Not at all I’m 63

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Sounds like voluntary redundancy - I presume if you started work in 72 then you're 63 ish? so only 4 years off state pension.

What sort of work did you do? - there may be something you could do for a few years till that kicks in, or as others say if you are unfit then a pip assessment may be the way forward
    I was a postman sorry person.for just over 21 years,yes l see no problem with me doing a job that dosen’t entail to much heavy lifting of carrying just feel I’ve earned the right to some payment while l seek employment

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Similar, but different.
    I took "voluntary" redundancy in 2007, I was struggling after a stroke and other stuff, my job was being outsourced and my building was closing, so it wasn't entirely voluntary. I thought I could get another job soon enough - how was I to know the crunch was about to affect world-wide industry?
    Anyway, I signed on for job seekers allowance, but after signing for a couple of weeks, the job centre chap told me not to be stupid and switched me to Incapacity Benefit (Later ESA) I was already on DLA from the stroke, so my GP was only too happy to certify me as sick.Since then I've taken my works pension, but as I'm on max DLA, my ESA continued unchanged (It is reduced if not max DLA)
    I've got the dreaded PIP assessment next week to move off DLA. There's been horror stories about these assessments - people have been told they're fit as they can walk their dog - when they haven't even GOT a dog!
    A welcome consequence of being on disability bens is I get a free assistant to go to watch City.
    Sorry to here what you are being put through and l hope all goes well for you,and l must confess it makes me feel more than a little ashamed when l think that I’ve come on here bleeting about my problems when they are small in comparison to what you have and are going through

Is Pension Credit worth looking into? I would buy gold with your savings.....not counted as an asset...
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information...ension-credit/

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Just because your firm sacked you it doesn't mean you can't claim jobseekers allowance as until your declared unfit by the social, for which they would have to assess you first ,you'll be seen as fit for work.The 16k savings bit is right though.You owe your previous employer nothing at all so the advice about checking to see if you have a claim for unfair dismissal is good.
    That would depend on the level of pension he receives. I tried to claim job seekers a few years ago, but because I was in receipt of a pension was unable to get any benefits whatsoever. He will need to speak to someone at the Job Centre though to ensure sufficient NI contributions have been paid to receive the State Pension when eligible. Someone in my family lost out because they retired from a job, received a private pension and then when it came to state pension, there was a gap in NI contributions from the time they retired until state retirement age, they then received a smaller state pension. You can sign on for a contributions only benefit.

Ah - just noticed the words "You may be eligible for Guarantee Credit if you've reached State Pension age"

Had a series of interviews with occupational health set up by my employer who decided l was not able to do the job l was employed for and as there were no other vacancies within the business l was offerered ill health retirement.
    It may have been better to seek advice before accepting the above - I suspect that it was cheaper for them to "pay you off" rather pay you sick pay for 4 years...

Heisenberg

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

I sometimes use this with clients to check their entitlements. Got to be worth a go.

Everything the OP has remarked in this thread indicates he's eligible for six months worth of contribution-based JSA providing he's seeking work. It matters not whether he has any amount of savings.

Here's the criteria - https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Everything the OP has remarked in this thread indicates he's eligible for six months worth of contribution-based JSA providing he's seeking work. It matters not whether he has any amount of savings.

Here's the criteria - https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility
    Yes I’ve thought the same l just dont want to waste my time at a job centre if I’m not entitled to job seekers allowance

Yes I’ve thought the same l just dont want to waste my time at a job centre if I’m not entitled to job seekers allowance
    The two people who said you can't claim with over £16K in the bank are both wrong because that applies to income-based JSA. Get on the blower to the JC and have your claim backdated to the day you became unemployed if it's possible to do so.

Contributions based JSA states
    "Contribution-based JSA
    You can only apply for contribution-based JSA if you either:
    get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it
    got or were entitled to the severe disability premium within the last month and are still eligible for it
    I don"t think Since 62 is or was receiving severe disability premiums is he ?

From the same link He qualifies because of his contributions made during the past three years -

‘New style’ JSA

To be eligible for ‘new style’ JSA you’ll need to have worked as an employee and paid Class 1 National Insurance contributions, usually in the last 2 to 3 years. National Insurance credits can also count.