Thread: National Anthems Do We Need Them

Re: National Anthems Do We Need Them

Never sung better than in Rick's Cafe Americain

The French one, I mean

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    The French one, I mean
    After ours (or even on a par) is there really a better anthem than this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOAtz8xWM0w

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Watching the cricket and viewing the multi ethnic make up of the team , which can now be seen within other sports , do we really need it .

Some fans/ attendees of national games may have allegiance , because they live in that country, and like attending games

Do we need it when you see the waining of the old colonialism type nationalism as we embrace a wider mixed culture?
    No, I dislike them all. I have paid my money to watch a sporting contest not to hear a couple of songs ,with no real relevance to me ,belted out incorrectly by a fair number of people attending.
    Just get on with the game.

Melodically I'd go for Ireland, Scotland and France's anthems as the most pleasing to the ear.

But imagine how much more satisfying they'd sound if the lyrics were to be shouted indistinctly rather than sung by someone as supercalifragilisticexpialidociously gifted as Stormzy?

Bar for the severely out of touch and crusty Victor Meldrew types, the rest of us would find his mellifluous tones so intoxicating it would be nigh on impossible to resist imitating Theresa May strutting her stuff which was so cruelly dismissed as 'spazz dancing' by those same musically uncultured plebs.

Here's a reminder of Mayhem's awesome moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    No, I dislike them all. I have paid my money to watch a sporting contest not to hear a couple of songs ,with no real relevance to me ,belted out incorrectly by a fair number of people attending.
    Just get on with the game.
    I will never support england cricket team as it is only known as england not england and Wales,pompous pricks

International

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    I will never support england cricket team as it is only known as england not england and Wales,pompous pricks
    That's a bit precious.