+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Josh Murphy

Josh Murphy

I really hope we keep him he will play a big part for us this season.

Re: Josh Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Agree. Not good enough in the PL, but decent at championship level.

I was under the distinct impression that both Murphy and Bobby Reid were signed as a provision for the future of City - with relegation back to the Championship in mind. They are young and have had an opportunity to be moulded into the "Warnock Way".

Whether Warnock and his team have liked what they've seen is quite another matter....

Fully agree!

There were many times when he proved a bit of a handful for his opponents in the Premier.. just that he was hindered when expected to sprint back and act as a left-back the moment we lost possession.

Murphy, if the ball is played to him in a bit of space, will be a potent weapon for us this coming season. I like the prospect of him, Bobby Reid, NML and a new striker in the mould of Jarrod Bowen(?) up front, it will give us frightening pace on the break. Opposition defenders would have to stay "honest" and we probably wouldn't see too many teams pressing their fullbacks forward like they did against us in the Premier.

I don't think we have seen the best of Murphy. Last season he was not played to his strengths. What irritated me most is that for periods in the first half he would start off on the left, terrorise the opposition's full back and then inexplicably either moved or was moved to the opposite flank where he was ineffective. Played correctly Murphy could play far more effectively. I hope he stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I don't think we have seen the best of Murphy. Last season he was not played to his strengths. What irritated me most is that for periods in the first half he would start off on the left, terrorise the opposition's full back and then inexplicably either moved or was moved to the opposite flank where he was ineffective. Played correctly Murphy could play far more effectively. I hope he stays.
    Yeah, that was a bit mystifying, clearly getting the better of his opponent and then suddenly changed to the other side. When a player is starting to get the better of an opponent, we should look to capitalise and turn the screws.

Very talented lad but he has weaknesses.He is not strong and too easily brushed off the ball ( that cost us a couple of goals at home last season when he lost the ball in our half). Also very much a first half player who struggles to last more than 60-70 minutes. I don't buy the idea that he shouldn't be asked to get back and defend. Every winger has to do that in a Warnock side and Josh is a very reluctant defender.. All that said I think there is a lot more to come from him and I hope we keep him,but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Warnock were prepared to let him go..

We could potentially have a very pacy front 3 or 4. I'd like to see the wingers kept high up the pitch and staying wide that way you stretch the defence and maximize the number of one on ones that the forwards generate.
    As the forwards aren't encouraged to track back, the defence and remaining midfield have to be much more defensively focused. I.e. no marauding fullbacks and at least one cm very positionally disciplined.

Basically how Warnock's qpr team were set up

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We could potentially have a very pacy front 3 or 4. I'd like to see the wingers kept high up the pitch and staying wide that way you stretch the defence and maximize the number of one on ones that the forwards generate.
    As the forwards aren't encouraged to track back, the defence and remaining midfield have to be much more defensively focused. I.e. no marauding fullbacks and at least one cm very positionally disciplined.

Basically how Warnock's qpr team were set up
    I remember Martinez's Swansea side ensuring that they usually had a winger hogging the touchline on the opposite side of play, waiting for the opportunity to break. As you say, it stretches the opposition's defence.

Warnock likes (he's said as much) players to win their own battles first. He's also quite demanding of his wide players in that he prefers our defence to sit deep , so we struggle to get out as our wingers are helping the full backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Very talented lad but he has weaknesses.He is not strong and too easily brushed off the ball ( that cost us a couple of goals at home last season when he lost the ball in our half). Also very much a first half player who struggles to last more than 60-70 minutes. I don't buy the idea that he shouldn't be asked to get back and defend. Every winger has to do that in a Warnock side and Josh is a very reluctant defender.. All that said I think there is a lot more to come from him and I hope we keep him,but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Warnock were prepared to let him go..
    I'd be happy for Murphy to stay high up the pitch if the other winger tracks back so we get another option on the counter. Too often last season we had just one player upfield and the ball just kept coming back

I would be happy to get our money back.
    Undoubtedly talented, but inconsistent and often appears disinterested / lazy.
    I’m not sure those traits will change.
    If he stays then I hope to be proved wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I was under the distinct impression that both Murphy and Bobby Reid were signed as a provision for the future of City - with relegation back to the Championship in mind. They are young and have had an opportunity to be moulded into the "Warnock Way".

Whether Warnock and his team have liked what they've seen is quite another matter....
    Think the Warnock way would wobble by a 12 million bid , anyway he would be surplus to requirement next year, when were back up and Bales signs