Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 32

Thread: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

  1. #1

    Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    I haven't seen it! He's always struck me as a bit agricultural 25M maybe but not 70M shirley!

  2. #2

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Nowhere near that.
    Average to good at best.

  3. #3

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I haven't seen it! He's always struck me as a bit agricultural 25M maybe but not 70M shirley!
    Pablo Sarabia got 13 goals and 13 assists for Sevilla last season, he's gone for €18m to PSG. The Premier League clubs have gone mad.

  4. #4

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Quite simply No.

  5. #5

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Players who play consistently for England are always quite marketable so that increases their price, plus he will count as a home grown player (or whatever it is), still quite young too. He is definitely a good player and transfer fees have gone wild in the last few years. Is 70 million even a lot of money any more.

    Plus Premier League clubs are loaded and everyone knows it so prices always go up.

    Wan Bisakka (who is very good) has gone for about 50 million so on that evidence you'd have to say Maguire is worth more.

    25 million isn't worth what it was 5 years ago.

  6. #6

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I haven't seen it! He's always struck me as a bit agricultural 25M maybe but not 70M shirley!
    John Percy, who in my experience is super reliable, is reporting Leicester have told Man Utd they need to pay 90m

  7. #7
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    15,763

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Pablo Sarabia got 13 goals and 13 assists for Sevilla last season, he's gone for €18m to PSG. The Premier League clubs have gone mad.
    A thinly veiled "I'm obsessed with Spanish football" post NQAT

  8. #8

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    I genuinely thought if we did last year which did season before in terms of getting lots of cs and Morrison getting a good number of goals in 1-0 wins could have seen him getting called up and being sold for big money.

    For me he is the best defender attacking a ball I've seen, not defending

  9. #9

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Yes if you reflect the market and he's one of the best defender's in England.

    I remember the same shock and horror when Rio went to Utd for what's was a big fee at the time .

  10. #10

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Yes, if that is what has been offered then that's what he is worth. Is it good value? No.

    Is there better value elsewhere? Almost certainly. But he's English, is decent, relatively young for a cb.

    Have Leicester rejected it? I mean unless it's heavily based on apps, etc then they would be silly to reject if they come back slightly higher.

  11. #11

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    No, he's a big lump who'd probably do well in a Warnock team, but hardly top class players than Man Ure need.

    ANd they just paid 45m, up front! for Wan-Bissaka! Ole doing a great job.

  12. #12

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Absolutely not. If wasn't English and didn't come up with occasional goal, no one would mention him. He was shit when we played Leicester. Who's supposed to be paying 70M? Solskjaer?

    Harry Maguire is no Vigil Van Dyck.

  13. #13

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Absolutely not. If wasn't English and didn't come up with occasional goal, no one would mention him. He was shit when we played Leicester. Who's supposed to be paying 70M? Solskjaer?

    Harry Maguire is no Vigil Van Dyck.
    Hes no f*cking Dick Van Dyke 🤪

  14. #14

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He’s no f*cking Dick Van Dyke ��
    I don't know, he can probably do a better cockney accent.

    But there's no way he could win a dance-off.

  15. #15

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    I don't rate him as good as Van Dyke.

  16. #16

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Man City have carved them up again, like they did with that heap of waste Sanchez from Arsenal.

    Pretend to show an interest, when they have no intention of buying

  17. #17
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    6,305

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    A thinly veiled "I'm obsessed with Spanish football" post NQAT
    does that relate to Sarri ball in any way??

  18. #18

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Old slab ed cant believe his luck.

  19. #19

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Better player than he is often given credit for, but, with someone like him going for that sort of fee and Palace demanding more than that for Zaha, the domestic market at the top level no longer even offers moderate value for money.

  20. #20

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Technically he's worth what the buying club are willing to pay for him. Should Manchester United be looking elsewhere at that price? Absolutely.

  21. #21

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    John Percy, who in my experience is super reliable, is reporting Leicester have told Man Utd they need to pay 90m
    He’s ok but he’s not the enforcer Man Utd need at the back, there lovely struggles look set to continue on.....

  22. #22

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Not in a million years ........ Average at best, still riding the wave from England's AMAZING World Cup run

  23. #23

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Technically he's worth what the buying club are willing to pay for him. Should Manchester United be looking elsewhere at that price? Absolutely.
    Not really. It's not like he's a rare collectible like Dave Gilmour's guitar. He's being bought to perform a task and the results of his labour should result in tangibles like trophies and money. There's no way Harry Maguire can live up to a 70M fee. It can be argued that Van Dyck took Liverpool to the next level resulting in 97 points in the EPL and a European Cup. Is Harry Maguire going to make that kind of difference to Man U?

  24. #24

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Not really. It's not like he's a rare collectible like Dave Gilmour's guitar. He's being bought to perform a task and the results of his labour should result in tangibles like trophies and money. There's no way Harry Maguire can live up to a 70M fee. It can be argued that Van Dyck took Liverpool to the next level resulting in 97 points in the EPL and a European Cup. Is Harry Maguire going to make that kind of difference to Man U?
    That was 18 months ago. Football has disappeared up it's own arse yet further in that time. If Lucas Hernandez is going for €80m and AWB is worth 50m then who knows what's going to happen next?

  25. #25

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    That was 18 months ago. Football has disappeared up it's own arse yet further in that time. If Lucas Hernandez is going for €80m and AWB is worth 50m then who knows what's going to happen next?
    I hope it happens. I still bear resentment to OGS and the sooner he's shown up for what he is, the better. He's completely out of his depth. Surely Fergie advises in some capacity? I wonder what he thinks about Harry Maguire. Then again he did blow 25M on Juan Veron nearly 20 years ago. How much is that is today's money?

  26. #26

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I hope it happens. I still bear resentment to OGS and the sooner he's shown up for what he is, the better. He's completely out of his depth. Surely Fergie advises in some capacity? I wonder what he thinks about Harry Maguire. Then again he did blow 25M on Juan Veron nearly 20 years ago. How much is that is today's money?
    Veron, what a player he was! Wasn't right for England at the time perhaps but incredible. Ferguson's transfers were extremely hit and miss but worse ideas for Man Utd than to buy a British spine of hungry players and go from there. Spent too much on wasters like Lukaku and Pogba who don't give a toss. The latter would be amazing in the right team but that isn't Man Utd right now.

  27. #27

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Veron, what a player he was! Wasn't right for England at the time perhaps but incredible. Ferguson's transfers were extremely hit and miss but worse ideas for Man Utd than to buy a British spine of hungry players and go from there. Spent too much on wasters like Lukaku and Pogba who don't give a toss. The latter would be amazing in the right team but that isn't Man Utd right now.
    Veron was so good that when he signed for an already massively dominant team (10 points clear the season before) I really thought they were going to win 90% of their games in the following five years.

  28. #28

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    Not in a million years ........ Average at best, still riding the wave from England's AMAZING World Cup run
    Was that the one where they didn’t meet anyone seeded higher than 10 or something? And when they did, they lost?

  29. #29

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    The concept of value is a bit false in a football player context, especially at the premier league level. How do you value a footballer? Will the buying club earn more than 70m in additional revenue (after adjusting for his salary) over the course of his contract, after discounting, as a result of him being there? Almost certainly not. Will the market value of the club increase more than 70m as a direct result of the acquisition? Doubt it.

    But then applying a normal valuation approach makes no sense in football because the entire industry is, I suspect, loss-making, and winning things (rather than making money) is ultimately what football clubs should exist for. So the question then becomes, are the new club 70m more likely to win something with Maguire than without? But of course that is a nonsensical question because you are comparing apples with oranges.

    It is - again - where I think they get it right in the US and players are exchanged for other players or draft picks rather than cash. It is legitimate to ask whether you are more likely to win something by swapping say 2 squad players for Maguire.

  30. #30

    Re: Is Harry Maguire worth 70M

    Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Was that the one where they didn’t meet anyone seeded higher than 10 or something? And when they did, they lost?
    It was, but with the young talent they've got coming through I think we're going to have to deal with an England team winning a major tournament at some point in the not too distant future

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •