+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Harry Maguire worth £70M

Re: Is Harry Maguire worth £70M

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I hope it happens. I still bear resentment to OGS and the sooner he's shown up for what he is, the better. He's completely out of his depth. Surely Fergie advises in some capacity? I wonder what he thinks about Harry Maguire. Then again he did blow £25M on Juan Veron nearly 20 years ago. How much is that is today's money?
    Veron, what a player he was! Wasn't right for England at the time perhaps but incredible. Ferguson's transfers were extremely hit and miss but worse ideas for Man Utd than to buy a British spine of hungry players and go from there. Spent too much on wasters like Lukaku and Pogba who don't give a toss. The latter would be amazing in the right team but that isn't Man Utd right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Veron, what a player he was! Wasn't right for England at the time perhaps but incredible. Ferguson's transfers were extremely hit and miss but worse ideas for Man Utd than to buy a British spine of hungry players and go from there. Spent too much on wasters like Lukaku and Pogba who don't give a toss. The latter would be amazing in the right team but that isn't Man Utd right now.
    Veron was so good that when he signed for an already massively dominant team (10 points clear the season before) I really thought they were going to win 90% of their games in the following five years.

Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    Not in a million years ........ Average at best, still riding the wave from England's AMAZING World Cup run
    Was that the one where they didn’t meet anyone seeded higher than 10 or something? And when they did, they lost?

The concept of value is a bit false in a football player context, especially at the premier league level. How do you value a footballer? Will the buying club earn more than £70m in additional revenue (after adjusting for his salary) over the course of his contract, after discounting, as a result of him being there? Almost certainly not. Will the market value of the club increase more than £70m as a direct result of the acquisition? Doubt it.

But then applying a normal valuation approach makes no sense in football because the entire industry is, I suspect, loss-making, and winning things (rather than making money) is ultimately what football clubs should exist for. So the question then becomes, are the new club £70m more likely to win something with Maguire than without? But of course that is a nonsensical question because you are comparing apples with oranges.

It is - again - where I think they get it right in the US and players are exchanged for other players or draft picks rather than cash. It is legitimate to ask whether you are more likely to win something by swapping say 2 squad players for Maguire.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Was that the one where they didn’t meet anyone seeded higher than 10 or something? And when they did, they lost?
    It was, but with the young talent they've got coming through I think we're going to have to deal with an England team winning a major tournament at some point in the not too distant future

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    It was, but with the young talent they've got coming through I think we're going to have to deal with an England team winning a major tournament at some point in the not too distant future
    Bowls, netball ????? I did notice you very craftily left out the word ‘football’ Delmi😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Bowls, netball ????? I did notice you very craftily left out the word ‘football’ Delmi������
    Hedging my bets