+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An evening with Warren Gatland

An evening with Warren Gatland

Went to see him at The Roses Theatre in Tewkesbury tonight. He was certainly candid at times particularly in regard to the make up of the squad for the Rugby World Cup squad which looks like an 18/13 split between forwards and backs.

The back row is where the stiffest competition arises and of the likely five back rowers to go he mentioned Josh Navidi, Justin Tipuric, Ross Moriarty and interestingly Aaron Wainwright. He spoke in glowing terms of Wainwright. He then said that with Ellis Jenkins still out injured three players were vying for the final place. Those being James Davies, Aaron Shingler and Taulupe Faletau. So Faletau is far from certain of his place.

He also hoped that if one of his scrum half’s gets injured he hopes common senses applies and he is allowed to call up Rhys Webb.

I asked him a question about the four warm up games against England and Ireland which I think is too intense and could result in a number of injuries. He agreed and felt three games would have been better but that money talks.

Re: An evening with Warren Gatland

Interesting.

I'm halfway through his book (ghosted) on the last Lions Tour - Warren Gatland: In The Line Of Fire. He comes across as very focussed, unsentimental and understated, but also as surprisingly impressed by celebrity and royalty (which disappointed me). Above all he is a winner with so much experience and confidence that my usual pessimism about World Cups has been dented. Wales could go the distance!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Interesting.

I'm halfway through his book (ghosted) on the last Lions Tour - Warren Gatland: In The Line Of Fire. He comes across as very focussed, unsentimental and understated, but also as surprisingly impressed by celebrity and royalty (which disappointed me). Above all he is a winner with so much experience and confidence that my usual pessimism about World Cups has been dented. Wales could go the distance!
    Yep he is certainly confident about the World Cup. Said he is very happy where the squad is right now bar a couple of players who are a bit off the pace. He is also said Shaun Edwards is a bit mad and takes some managing as in has missed meetings. turns up not dressed appropriately on occasions and went on the Lions tour in 2009 with his partner, mum and dad, son, son’s friend and his priest John who got pissed and wet himself.

How did he come across? A few years ago I was a part of a choir that sang at a birthday party put on for him by the WRU and he certainly didn't like being the centre of attention. His acknowledgement speech started something along the lines of "Those of you who know me will know how much I haven't been looking forward to this evening", plus he talked about taking over the Welsh job and living in the bay counting down the days til the contract had ended. Cheerful and engaging weren't words any of used to describe him!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    How did he come across? A few years ago I was a part of a choir that sang at a birthday party put on for him by the WRU and he certainly didn't like being the centre of attention. His acknowledgement speech started something along the lines of "Those of you who know me will know how much I haven't been looking forward to this evening", plus he talked about taking over the Welsh job and living in the bay counting down the days til the contract had ended. Cheerful and engaging weren't words any of used to describe him!

He came across as pretty modest and quietly spoken but had some humourous stories to tell and got a good response from the audience. Family comes first for him and he admitted that he comes across as miserable in a professional capacity but is not like that when he was with his family.

All I know about him is he's highly professional and successful ,and a royalist to boot ,good on you Warren

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Went to see him at The Roses Theatre in Tewkesbury tonight. He was certainly candid at times particularly in regard to the make up of the squad for the Rugby World Cup squad which looks like an 18/13 split between forwards and backs.

The back row is where the stiffest competition arises and of the likely five back rowers to go he mentioned Josh Navidi, Justin Tipuric, Ross Moriarty and interestingly Aaron Wainwright. He spoke in glowing terms of Wainwright. He then said that with Ellis Jenkins still out injured three players were vying for the final place. Those being James Davies, Aaron Shingler and Taulupe Faletau. So Faletau is far from certain of his place.

He also hoped that if one of his scrum half’s gets injured he hopes common senses applies and he is allowed to call up Rhys Webb.

I asked him a question about the four warm up games against England and Ireland which I think is too intense and could result in a number of injuries. He agreed and felt three games would have been better but that money talks.
    Surely a fully fit Faletau has to go?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Surely a fully fit Faletau has to go?
    I think he will but he is no longer a guaranteed starter having barely played last season. He wasn’t really missed. If Ellis Jenkins was fit he would really struggle to make the squad. The one player Gatland singled out from the current squad was Aaron Wainwright. He was really effusive about him.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

“ four warm up games against England and Ireland which I think is too intense and could result in a number of injuries. He agreed and felt three games would have been better “

It’s not the number of games it’s who they’re against is the problem for me

If Wales play both of them twice in what will be highly competitive games how do you try new things without giving away any game plans/moves or as has been pointed out the chances of picking up injuries is high.

The WRU seem to be intent on sucking as much financial juice out of this and the autumn internationals as they can to cover financial shortcomings in other areas like funding junior clubs and grass roots development whilst paying the top players a competitive wage

Was sludge there?

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    “ four warm up games against England and Ireland which I think is too intense and could result in a number of injuries. He agreed and felt three games would have been better “

If Wales play both of them twice in what will be highly competitive games how do you try new things without giving away any game plans/moves or as has been pointed out the chances of picking up injuries is high.

The WRU seem to be intent on sucking as much financial juice out of this and the autumn internationals as they can to cover financial shortcomings in other areas like funding junior clubs and grass roots development whilst paying the top players a competitive wage
    You could get injuries against any opposition. In 2015 both Rhys Webb and Halfpenny were injured against Italy, having played previously against Ireland. The number of games pre World Cup does increase the chances of injuries but they could equally happen in training, given the intensity of some of the seasons.

I think he will but he is no longer a guaranteed starter having barely played last season. He wasn’t really missed. If Ellis Jenkins was fit he would really struggle to make the squad. The one player Gatland singled out from the current squad was Aaron Wainwright. He was really effusive about him.
    Pearcey, do you have a team?

London Irish given that they play at the Madejski?

Ellis is my bolter for Lions captaincy.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Pearcey, do you have a team?

London Irish given that they play at the Madejski?
    I used to support The Celtic Warriors because my dad’s family are from the Bridgend area. Since then I just like to see any of the regions do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Ellis is my bolter for Lions captaincy.

I think he’s brilliant and it’s such a shame that he picked up that injury against the Boks. Next in line to take over from AWJ so Lions skipper? Why not.

International

Another thing about these games that bothers me is that if they lose 1 or more of those games and break their winning streak, maybe heavily just before the competition it may have an adverse affect on their mental state.

This was the point I was making. Nothing wrong playing four warm up games but not all against strong, physical opposition.

This was the point I was making. Nothing wrong playing four warm up games but not all against strong, physical opposition.
    I was also there last night. Very interesting and an enjoyable evening. Loved his Scottish jibe about not picking any of their players for the lions and his Mike Phillips gag about being world class when he was asked economy class or business class. But nearly fell off my chair at the Toby statement. Tried to get the microphone after that to ask him if he was being serious. Think he will only take 5 props and an extra back rower which will allow Toby and Ellis Jenkins (if fit) or shingles to go. Last comment - have a flutter on Wales. He is confident!!

Cannot believe for a moment that he won't take Faletau, assuming he is fit. I would also expect him to reclaim the 8 spot.

Shingler may miss out if Gatland is set on taking Wainright (who did look good in the 6N).....and I thought Shingler was outstanding before he got injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    I was also there last night. Very interesting and an enjoyable evening. Loved his Scottish jibe about not picking any of their players for the lions and his Mike Phillips gag about being world class when he was asked economy class or business class. But nearly fell off my chair at the Toby statement. Tried to get the microphone after that to ask him if he was being serious. Think he will only take 5 props and an extra back rower which will allow Toby and Ellis Jenkins (if fit) or shingles to go. Last comment - have a flutter on Wales. He is confident!!
    Where were you sitting Lord W? I was dying to ask him more questions. Thought it was good but they could do with some air con at The Roses. The Mike Phillips story was exactly what you would expect Phillips to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue blood View Post
    Cannot believe for a moment that he won't take Faletau, assuming he is fit. I would also expect him to reclaim the 8 spot.

Shingler may miss out if Gatland is set on taking Wainright (who did look good in the 6N).....and I thought Shingler was outstanding before he got injured.

From last night I would say Moriarty is now first choice 8. Gatland was as clear as can be that four back rowers were definite for the World Cup and Faletau wasn’t one of them. He also said a couple of players in the squad are not where they need to be at the moment. Faletau with his lack of matches may be one of those.

Where were you sitting Lord W? I was dying to ask him more questions. Thought it was good but they could do with some air con at The Roses. The Mike Phillips story was exactly what you would expect Phillips to say.
    A few rows behind you. Had lots of questions for him but didn't get a look in! The back row is a real conundrum. Tipuric the only natural 7 so if Ellis not fir he may have to take James Davies - as good as Navidi is he is not a natural 7. So what would that mean for Toby! But surely has to take him. Who starts 10 and who starts 15 in a WC Final?! Headaches evreywhere.

It seems mad to play four high profile warm-up games when it was injuries that spoiled the last world cup and this being Gatland's last world cup. I can see us losing at least one but it will be injury rather than defeat that is the bigger risk factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    A few rows behind you. Had lots of questions for him but didn't get a look in! The back row is a real conundrum. Tipuric the only natural 7 so if Ellis not fir he may have to take James Davies - as good as Navidi is he is not a natural 7. So what would that mean for Toby! But surely has to take him. Who starts 10 and who starts 15 in a WC Final?! Headaches evreywhere.
    Nice headaches to have though. Our back row options are almost endless. Even with injuries the likes of Lydiate and Thomas Young won’t get a look in. Personally I would have Biggar at 10 and Liam Williams at 15. If Biggar doesn’t start I would think about bringing Halfpenny in on the wing because we need a reliable goal kicker. I’m not convinced Anscombe is that.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It seems mad to play four high profile warm-up games when it was injuries that spoiled the last world cup and this being Gatland's last world cup. I can see us losing at least one but it will be injury rather than defeat that is the bigger risk factor.

My thoughts precisely. I suppose with a World Cup squad of 31 each player will start in two warm up games only but even so it’s high risk playing such physical and competitive sides.