+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City out of step with modern day thinking?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cardiff City out of step with modern day thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    While the author of this piece seems to see Neil Warnock as an exception to the rule, I think he has a point - my own view is that we were a club with a "focus on clean sheets and set-pieces" long before our current manager showed up.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...lish-old-guard
    Good article, thanks for that. He sees Warnock as an exception because he's still being successful (he obviously considers Dyche too young to be another exception) and while he's still in credit here we're going to escape excessive criticism for the way we set up, which is fair enough I guess. What happens after Warnock is the big issue though, as Sneggy says. The direction we take and the way the fans respond to it is going to be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Good article, thanks for that. He sees Warnock as an exception because he's still being successful (he obviously considers Dyche too young to be another exception) and while he's still in credit here we're going to escape excessive criticism for the way we set up, which is fair enough I guess. What happens after Warnock is the big issue though, as Sneggy says. The direction we take and the way the fans respond to it is going to be very interesting.
    Our fanbase isn't patient enough for a project. Granted, our "project" was Trollope, who lived up to his name. I think Warnock picking his successor (or helping to) will see us pick a steady pair of hands that won't set the world alight but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Our fanbase isn't patient enough for a project. Granted, our "project" was Trollope, who lived up to his name. I think Warnock picking his successor (or helping to) will see us pick a steady pair of hands that won't set the world alight but I could be wrong.
    I'd like to think the same but I can't see how that would work unless Warnock was prepared to aid the transition by moving towards a style of play that his successor would favour and making deals in the transfer windows to reflect that. How would that happen? Having kept Warnock for another season it would be pretty pointless to encourage him to mimic someone else and if we're involved in the promotion race in January you could hardly expect him to go out and buy players the new manager would like for next season.

Whatever long term planning is going on behind the scenes, Tan will be happy to see us go up by any means, however ugly it is, and worry about the future come May. And who can blame him for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I'd like to think the same but I can't see how that would work unless Warnock was prepared to aid the transition by moving towards a style of play that his successor would favour and making deals in the transfer windows to reflect that. How would that happen? Having kept Warnock for another season it would be pretty pointless to encourage him to mimic someone else and if we're involved in the promotion race in January you could hardly expect him to go out and buy players the new manager would like for next season.

Whatever long term planning is going on behind the scenes, Tan will be happy to see us go up by any means, however ugly it is, and worry about the future come May. And who can blame him for that?
    Provided Warnock signs players like Reid, Murphy, Holtby or whatever, then we've got somewhere to go. We'll have issues if we sign a load of cloggers, as our team won't be able to do anything else, so we'll either have to stick or go through a massive period of change.