+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anne Widdicombe

Re: Anne Widdicombe

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Anne Widdicombe is many (bad) things but not Hitler (nor a 3rd rate Goebbels).

However there are many aspects of current political and social attitudes that have strong echoes of the 1930s. Apart from the overt fascists and neo-Nazis, many of the right wing populist demagogues around the world (and their movements) look and sound a lot like the European and American fascists of the 1920s/30s.

You clearly see them as freedom fighters against the Globalist Conspiracy (also has echoes from the 1930s!). I do not. I think we need to learn the lessons of the past before some international trigger event gives these people more of the power they crave and the ability to turn their vile fantasies into reality.
    No criticism of left with their Antifa brigades, Alinsky playbooks, propaganda media, and a desire to curtail free speech? Where you see fascists, I see communists! The truth is both sides are not at bad as you think, although each does have their unsavoury elements. So come on old chap, show a bit of balance, and there is plenty of room on the fence if you want to come and join me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    No criticism of left with their Antifa brigades, Alinsky playbooks, propaganda media, and a desire to curtail free speech? Where you see fascists, I see communists! The truth is both sides are not at bad as you think, although each does have their unsavoury elements. So come on old chap, show a bit of balance, and there is plenty of room on the fence if you want to come and join me!
    Oh come off it. You have never been on any fence when it comes to the alt right poster boys! You are firmly up Donald Trump's back passage, and (weirdly) 'life on mars' has decided his role is to be up yours!

It's like a preview for Human Centipede 4.

Oh come off it. You have never been on any fence when it comes to the alt right poster boys! You are firmly up Donald Trump's back passage, and (weirdly) 'life on mars' has decided his role is to be up yours!

It's like a preview for Human Centipede 4.
    Yeah, but what about the left? No comment??

Create a thread about whatever on the ‘left’ that’s on your mind tonight .

Then you can discuss it on there instead of living it up to your reputation as the ‘Mr Whatbaoutery’ trying to derail yet another thread

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Create a thread about whatever on the ‘left’ that’s on your mind tonight .

Then you can discuss it on there instead of living it up to your reputation as the ‘Mr Whatbaoutery’ trying to derail yet another thread
    Why didn't you say this thread was only for people wearing blinkers! I never realised it was a private echo chamber for the intolerant, so please accept my humble apologies

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    I can honestly say, I have never in all my life seen anything so embarrassing. It made me feel physically sick. To think that she has likened being in the EU to slavery is pathetic in the extreme. Anyone who voted for The Brexit Party is off their feckin rocker.
    Oh dear oh dear.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think this speech and the childish turning of backs by Brexit MEPs only confirms the general view of the rest of the world that Britain has gone mad and it explains why it is a subject of ridicule these days, but there's a substantial minority at home and abroad who'll lap this sort of thing up - the world has regressed back to the 30s.

I think much of the rest of the world has far more to worry about than the actions of some here today gone tomorrow politicians in a European talking shop.

How do you feel about the yellow shirted Liberal Democrats Bob?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I think much of the rest of the world has far more to worry about than the actions of some here today gone tomorrow politicians in a European talking shop.

What you hear is the ghost of John Nott storming out of the studio!

What you hear is the ghost of John Nott storming out of the studio!
    The ghost of Robin Day watching him lesve perhaps.

John Nott is actually still alive.

And supports a no deal Brexit!!

I think much of the rest of the world has far more to worry about than the actions of some l here today gone tomorrow politicians in a European talking shop.

Why don't you think they will last the course?

Seeing as you once called accused people of pushing Communism/being Communists for defending a private business' right to sell what they wanted, I'm not sure we should go by your definition of what a Communist is

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Why don't you think they will last the course?
    All politicians are here today gone tomorrow of course.

But if the Brexit party achieve their aim of no deal by 31 October, it will be a conservative government which will be responsible and I can see the majority of their support drifting away.

They will have no seats in Europe and I can't see them winning many seats in the next general election.

That is one possible scenario there are of course others!

The ghost of Robin Day watching him lesve perhaps.

John Nott is actually still alive.

And supports a no deal Brexit!!
    And was trying to be a "personality" in the recent, very good, Margaret Thatcher documentary series on the BBC, but came over as just a caricature of a batty old man.

At this time in particular, the last thing we need are political stunts, whether they be cheap ones like turning your back on your hosts while an anthem is being played or wearing "bollocks to Brexit" t shirts or more expensive ones like a military style parade organised by a draft dodging President. This is a dangerous period for the planet in many ways and a time for maturity and gravitas from politicians, yet a strong case could be made for saying that the best example we've seen of those qualities in 2019 has come from a sixteen year old Swedish schoolgirl.

Turning to domestic matters, the difference between the Lib Dems and Farage's mob is that a very large minority (16.1 million) of those who voted on a particular day over three years ago, voted unequivocally for what the Lib Dems want - that is, to remain in Europe. By contrast, what did the 17.4 million we keep on hearing about vote for exactly? What did Brexit mean back in June 2016 and what does it mean now?

To try and answer that last question first, I read and hear with increased frequency that the choice is now between remaining in Europe and no deal. Maybe that's not true, but there seems to be general agreement that the deal negotiated by Theresa May (the only one both sides have come up with in all of that time since 2016) is not going to be a basis for us leaving. Is this the situation that 17.4 million wanted when they voted Leave? No, I'm pretty it wasn't, but I'm equally certain that leaving with a deal like May's was the way some of them wanted Brexit to pan out.

Indeed, I would go as far as to say that if you asked Leave voters to rate the various differing options for the type of Brexit available being talked about in 2016, a no deal one, as being increasingly advocated by those who deal in cheap political stunts, would come bottom, or very close to bottom, of the list.

Increasingly, the Churchillian spirit "which won us the last World War" is being invoked by those who see Brexit as some sort of crusade. Come September, you will need to be at least eighty one years old to have lived through the duration of the Second World War and so I can only deduce that this sort of claptrap has it roots in generations which, at best, were born during the war. Indeed, here is an example of research carried out which suggests that the extent of support for the EU/integration among the "war generation" is only beaten by Millennials - it's the generations that came along after the War that are the bedrock of the Leave voters - the generation that actually experienced a War appear to be more sympathetic towards Remain.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandp...er-65s-brexit/

So we cannot criticise Anne Widdecombe because, somehow, we're all as bad as her?
    Didn't say that ,was just pointing out there are a lot of her like minded about ???

criticize away I have over many a year.

You still have a view on other folk who spout this stuff a lot.

Politics is full of this crap .

At this time in particular, the last thing we need are political stunts, whether they be cheap ones like turning your back on your hosts while an anthem is being played or wearing "bollocks to Brexit" t shirts or more expensive ones like a military style parade organised by a draft dodging President. This is a dangerous period for the planet in many ways and a time for maturity and gravitas from politicians, yet a strong case could be made for saying that the best example we've seen of those qualities in 2019 has come from a sixteen year old Swedish schoolgirl.

Turning to domestic matters, the difference between the Lib Dems and Farage's mob is that a very large minority (16.1 million) of those who voted on a particular day over three years ago, voted unequivocally for what the Lib Dems want - that is, to remain in Europe. By contrast, what did the 17.4 million we keep on hearing about vote for exactly? What did Brexit mean back in June 2016 and what does it mean now?

To try and answer that last question first, I read and hear with increased frequency that the choice is now between remaining in Europe and no deal. Maybe that's not true, but there seems to be general agreement that the deal negotiated by Theresa May (the only one both sides have come up with in all of that time since 2016) is not going to be a basis for us leaving. Is this the situation that 17.4 million wanted when they voted Leave? No, I'm pretty it wasn't, but I'm equally certain that leaving with a deal like May's was the way some of them wanted Brexit to pan out.

Indeed, I would go as far as to say that if you asked Leave voters to rate the various differing options for the type of Brexit available being talked about in 2016, a no deal one, as being increasingly advocated by those who deal in cheap political stunts, would come bottom, or very close to bottom, of the list.

Increasingly, the Churchillian spirit "which won us the last World War" is being invoked by those who see Brexit as some sort of crusade. Come September, you will need to be at least eighty one years old to have lived through the duration of the Second World War and so I can only deduce that this sort of claptrap has it roots in generations which, at best, were born during the war. Indeed, here is an example of research carried out which suggests that the extent of support for the EU/integration among the "war generation" is only beaten by Millennials - it's the generations that came along after the War that are the bedrock of the Leave voters - the generation that actually experienced a War appear to be more sympathetic towards Remain.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandp...er-65s-brexit/
    This is true and depressing. Good post.

There's a lot of sitting on the fence in that left world these days

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    There's a lot of sitting on the fence in that left world these days
    Nothing to do with fence sitting.

The thread is about Anne Widdicombe and the Brexit Party - not about 'the left' (although Wales-Bales has been telling us for years that left-right is meaningless these days; it's all about globalism and anti-globalism).

Just because I and others ignore your mate's constant attempts at deflection it doesn't mean that we have come to love the top of a fence.

Nothing to do with fence sitting.

The thread is about Anne Widdicombe and the Brexit Party - not about 'the left' (although Wales-Bales has been telling us for years that left-right is meaningless these days; it's all about globalism and anti-globalism).

Just because I and others ignore your mate's constant attempts at deflection it doesn't mean that we have come to love the top of a fence.
    😂😂