Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
Whatever happened to his political asylum appeal to Donald Trump?

Well that was a bit strange really ,wasn't it, because you've really got to be in a country to ask for political asylum there.

I don't especially want to join in the Tommy Robinson kicking club because I don't know a great deal about him and I'm sure there are two sides to the story. However, I think this was obviously more of a stunt than anything else.

His version of the events leading to the current conviction are certainly not true, but it is nonetheless very politically naive of the establishment to press it home. Similar offences wouldn't normally be pursued and it creates the impression , rightly or wrongly, that he has been persecuted.

An opportunity was missed to sentence him to 'time served' and therefore make it go quietly away rather than create any martyrs .

Again without taking sides, I think Mr Robinson is - not for the first time - being quite a clever politician in all this.

Is he really surprised or very upset about being imprisoned, or is that a price he's willing to pay for the sympathy and political kudos it will certainly yield L