Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 86

Thread: Oriental....

  1. #1

    Oriental....

    Iím ambivalent. Is the term offensive or not??

  2. #2
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    8,513

    Re: Oriental....

    Not if you use it occidentally.

  3. #3

    Re: Oriental....

    Depends how you use it I suppose

  4. #4

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Depends how you use it I suppose
    Implies you think it can and canít be.... when would it be offensive or not?

  5. #5

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Not if you use it occidentally.
    Very good.

  6. #6

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Implies you think it can and can’t be.... when would it be offensive or not?
    If you need a list to check from then follow a simple rule and don't use it unless you're certain there'll be no problems.

  7. #7

    Re: Oriental....

    Naively, I used to never understand why the term '****' was taken as so offensive. My reasoning being that surely it is just short for 'Pakistani' just as 'Brit' is to 'British'.

    I realised later that the offence is in the fact that the term is used sweepingly to describe anyone of south Asian origin which is ignorant.

  8. #8

    Re: Oriental....

    I think itís considered offensive in the US because itís often been used in a derogatory way and is seen as out of date. Iíve not really heard anything about it outside of that though.

    I suppose ďthe orientĒ is quite an outdated term.

  9. #9

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Naively, I used to never understand why the term '****' was taken as so offensive. My reasoning being that surely it is just short for 'Pakistani' just as 'Brit' is to 'British'.

    I realised later that the offence is in the fact that the term is used sweepingly to describe anyone of south Asian origin which is ignorant.
    And itís mostly always been used in a negative way too.

  10. #10
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Anglia East
    Posts
    14,698

    Re: Oriental....

    Everything is offensive when it comes to identity politics, even geographic terms. You'd be better off dropping nouns and pronouns from your vocabulary completely.

  11. #11

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Everything is offensive when it comes to identity politics, even geographic terms. You'd be better off dropping nouns and pronouns from your vocabulary completely.
    That's not true though is it? The only terms that are offensive are words that have history of being used in an abusive way and to dehumanize and racially abuse people. There's no problem with Aussie, Brit, Saffa etc.

    You have the odd lunatic who'll go over the top but your logic seems the sort of thing posted on 4chan by people who've never left their basement let alone visited another country

    The real logic is if you're not a c*nt you'll get by, even if you accidently use an outdated term. If you are a c*nt you'll use an excuse about everything being offensive to try and cover yourself.

  12. #12
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Anglia East
    Posts
    14,698

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The real logic is if you're not a c*nt you'll get by, even if you accidently use an outdated term. If you are a c*nt you'll use an excuse about everything being offensive to try and cover yourself.
    You'll find that epithets are used in most countries, and I've come across quite a few names for white people.

  13. #13

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    You'll find that epithets are used in most countries, and I've come across quite a few names for white people.
    So what? There are loads of racist names for white people how does that help that complete bollocks point you've made?

    The trick is still don't be a c*nt and you'll be fine.

  14. #14

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    You'll find that epithets are used in most countries, and I've come across quite a few names for white people.
    The facade slipped with this I feel

  15. #15

    Re: Oriental....

    What about that old chestnut, the ďNĒ word.
    A horrible word, that is only acceptable nowadays if used by black folk to describe themselves.
    You couldnít make it up 🤔

  16. #16

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    What about that old chestnut, the “N” word.
    A horrible word, that is only acceptable nowadays if used by black folk to describe themselves.
    You couldn’t make it up ��
    But I want to say the n word too. Wah wah wah. Grow up.

  17. #17

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    What about that old chestnut, the ďNĒ word.
    A horrible word, that is only acceptable nowadays if used by black folk to describe themselves.
    You couldnít make it up 🤔
    Is this board getting stupider or just more racist?

    Are there really posters who literally have zero grasp of history or context?

  18. #18

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    What about that old chestnut, the “N” word.
    A horrible word, that is only acceptable nowadays if used by black folk to describe themselves.
    You couldn’t make it up ��
    F*ck me

  19. #19

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    But I want to say the n word too. Wah wah wah. Grow up.
    How old are you? My point is, itís a horrible word that nobody of any colour should be using anymore.
    Itís akin to Welsh folk getting in 1st, and describing themselves as sheep shaggers.

  20. #20
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Anglia East
    Posts
    14,698

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    So what? There are loads of racist names for white people how does that help that complete bollocks point you've made?

    The trick is still don't be a c*nt and you'll be fine.
    I'm just pointing out that it works in both directions, so we can also be on the receiving end. In fact, indentity politics is an American construct that has made its way to Europe, but it doesn't exist elsewhere so we could find ourselves being called politically incorrect names on our travels, and it would be considered normal.

  21. #21

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Is this board getting stupider or just more racist?

    Are there really posters who literally have zero grasp of history or context?
    Youíve been brainwashed to follow the lemmings and accept the unacceptable.

  22. #22

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    How old are you? My point is, itís a horrible word that nobody of any colour should be using anymore.
    Itís akin to Welsh folk getting in 1st, and describing themselves as sheep shaggers.
    This would be a valid point if racists weren't still using the word.

  23. #23

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Youíve been brainwashed to follow the lemmings and accept the unacceptable.
    What makes you say that?

  24. #24

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    This would be a valid point if racists weren't still using the word.
    That is my point. Itís a vile word, and no matter itís history, it should be stamped on every time itís used, by anyone of any colour.

  25. #25

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    What makes you say that?
    You seem to accept the word being used by black folk, because of ďhistory and contextĒ, when in reality, itís like hundreds of other racist and derogatory words and term that are vile, disgusting and outdated, and no matter itís original origin, should be condemned to the bin.

  26. #26

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    That is my point. It’s a vile word, and no matter it’s history, it should be stamped on every time it’s used, by anyone of any colour.
    Even though there's a history of reclaimed words making the original offensive remark lose it's power? It's up for debate sure but I don't think saying "black folk should stop saying it" is the way to put the argument across.

  27. #27

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    You seem to accept the word being used by black folk, because of ďhistory and contextĒ, when in reality, itís like hundreds of other racist and derogatory words and term that are vile, disgusting and outdated, and no matter itís original origin, should be condemned to the bin.
    But what about words like queer and Yid that were reclaimed and stopped being offensive?

    It would be better if it wasnít being used at all but the fact itís still constantly being used by racists means thereís more power in black people saying it than not.

  28. #28

    Re: Oriental....

    So, is it okay to keep on calling them Leyton Orient?

    This seems a fair summary of how "oriental" should be used to me, but I daresay some will find a problem with it;-

    https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...?term=oriental

  29. #29

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    But what about words like queer and Yid that were reclaimed and stopped being offensive?

    It would be better if it wasnít being used at all but the fact itís still constantly being used by racists means thereís more power in black people saying it than not.
    Yid has not been reclaimed. It is offensive.

    Also, just don't say the n word. It isn't hard, it isn't something that is in my daily usage. If black people want to say it, then let them.

  30. #30

    Re: Oriental....

    Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    But what about words like queer and Yid that were reclaimed and stopped being offensive?

    It would be better if it wasnít being used at all but the fact itís still constantly being used by racists means thereís more power in black people saying it than not.
    I donít agree with your logic at all. To me, words like Queer and yid still sound offensive, and no matter how many times they get ďreclaimedĒ, they always will.
    Racism has been around since time began. Bourne of ignorance and fear of something thatís different.
    We have made greAt strides in trying to educate people that itís wrong, but it will never get eradicated from society completely.
    All we can do is carry on trying to educate folk about how pathetic racism really is and condemn as many racist words and terms to the dustbin.
    Do you think it would be acceptable in todayís society for disabled folk to go around describing themselves and other other disabled folk as Spastics? It wouldnít. Itís another vile word and term that needs to remain buried, and not ďreclaimedĒ.
    Last edited by William Treseder; 08-07-19 at 09:45. Reason: Spelling

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •