+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Oriental....

Re: Oriental....

Yes it is

International

that's not arguing. You're just contradicting me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Hang on now, this is the internet, you can't be doing mature apologies and apology acceptance and all that. Call him a c**t or something, or tell him to get a life
    Not my style delmbox.

Hope you're well btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Not my style delmbox.

Hope you're well btw.
    all good ta!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    If I said the "new girl in work is an oriental" then that does seem a little ignorant and offensive. By no means as obliquely offensive as some things, but certainly not something I would say, it just doesn't seem right.
    If you said the " the new girl in work is oriental", or substituted the word 'oriental' for Asian, why would that be a little ignorant or offensive?

If someone in Africa, Asia or any other continent , said the "the new girl in work is European", would that be considered a little ignorant and offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    If you said the " the new girl in work is oriental", or substituted the word 'oriental' for Asian, why would that be a little ignorant or offensive?

If someone in Africa, Asia or any other continent , said the "the new girl in work is European", would that be considered a little ignorant and offensive?
    No, but the Orient isn't a continent

I’d be surprised if anyone on here would describe an Asian person as Oriental, unless they are of a certain age, as it’s such an old fashioned word.
    I’ve only ever used it when talking about Leyton Orient, or Murder on the Orient express.
    I’d also be very surprised if any of the younger generations anywhere in Europe would use it nowadays either.
    I’ve also never heard any youngsters I know refer to a Chinese takeaway as a “ Chinky”. I’ve heard a few older folk I know use the term though.
    Its another awful word to use, that hopefully will be used less and less as the yrs go by.

I think it comes down to the orient being an old fashioned word when Asians weren't treated in a good way. It's just seen as a bit out of touch more than offensive in this country I think.

In the US it's been used more as a derrogatory term and that's why it's seen as more offensive there.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think it comes down to the orient being an old fashioned word when Asians weren't treated in a good way. It's just seen as a bit out of touch more than offensive in this country I think.

In the US it's been used more as a derrogatory term and that's why it's seen as more offensive there.
    The term oriental is often used to describe objects from the Orient. However, given its eurocentric connotations and shifting, inaccurate definition through the ages, it may be considered offensive as a label for people from East Asia.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9] Although considered outdated, most Asian Americans do not find the term offensive as they have never had the word used against them as an insult.[10]

Wikipedia seems to say the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The term oriental is often used to describe objects from the Orient. However, given its eurocentric connotations and shifting, inaccurate definition through the ages, it may be considered offensive as a label for people from East Asia.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9] Although considered outdated, most Asian Americans do not find the term offensive as they have never had the word used against them as an insult.[10]

Wikipedia seems to say the opposite.
    Fair enough I'm no expert, but I was listening to something a few weeks ago and they were saying it was.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...nap-story.html

That seems to say it's thought to be politically incorrect but no one is bothered by it

“In the U.S., the term ‘Oriental’ has been used to reinforce the idea that Asians were/are forever foreign and could never become American. These ideas helped to justify immigration exclusion, racial discrimination and violence, political disfranchisement and segregation.” Lee also claimed that continued use of the term “perpetuates inequality, disrespect, discrimination and stereotypes towards Asian Americans.”

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Fair enough I'm no expert, but I was listening to something a few weeks ago and they were saying it was.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...nap-story.html

That seems to say it's thought to be politically incorrect but no one is bothered by it
    Whichever way we look at it, it’s certainly an interesting topic.