+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Marshall signs for Wigan

Marshall signs for Wigan

Hope he does the Ayatollah every time he gets the ball out of his net in the first game! Many times!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...david-16551650

He was great for us (and good to see him get a club) but it seems his career has been in reverse ever since he left.

Re: Marshall signs for Wigan

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Hope he does the Ayatollah every time he gets the ball out of his net in the first game! Many times!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...david-16551650

He was great for us (and good to see him get a club) but it seems his career has been in reverse ever since he left.
    That would make an interesting comparison - players that have left us and gone on to better things Vs players that have left us and been utter gash elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    That would make an interesting comparison - players that have left us and gone on to better things Vs players that have left us and been utter gash elsewhere.
    Off the top of my head David Marshall, Roger Johnson, Michael Chopra and Jay Bothroyd are definitely in the second category

McCormack could go into both categories, great for Fulham, utter shite for Villa

In the first category Ramsey, Heaton, Ledley, Gabbidon, Collins, Burgstaller?

I think Marshall and his family were happy and settled here (S.Wales, not just the club) and he couldn't settle elsewhere.
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Off the top of my head David Marshall, Roger Johnson, Michael Chopra and Jay Bothroyd are definitely in the second category

McCormack could go into both categories, great for Fulham, utter shite for Villa

In the first category Ramsey, Heaton, Ledley, Gabbidon, Collins, Burgstaller?
    An interesting topic. As an unashamed Dave Jones fan, I suspect the outcome would be a significant indicator that he got the best from players. And on the subject of Ross McCormack, who was always a bona fide quality player... he’s only 32. Im not one for re signing players but he had actual class. No idea what his salary demands are given that he is seemingly unemployed, but he’s got the talent and he’s young enough still to get fit again. I’d be interested to see what he could still do for us.

I should add that I am really quite drunk and the at-present romantic thought of a still-in-service ex-hero returning may, once sober, seem like a terrible plan. But from where I am sat right now, having experienced god knows how many years of bang average strikers, the thought of a player who openly enjoys kicking a ball into a net and has the ability to do so is uplifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    An interesting topic. As an unashamed Dave Jones fan, I suspect the outcome would be a significant indicator that he got the best from players. And on the subject of Ross McCormack, who was always a bona fide quality player... he’s only 32. Im not one for re signing players but he had actual class. No idea what his salary demands are given that he is seemingly unemployed, but he’s got the talent and he’s young enough still to get fit again. I’d be interested to see what he could still do for us.
    I think an in form Ross McCormack could do better for us than most of our striking options.

What are the odds on Marshall saving a pen and Pilks scoring the winner against us.Its writ in the stars.

What ever people’s opinions of Dave Jones, his squads would piss all over the squad we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    What ever people’s opinions of Dave Jones, his squads would piss all over the squad we have now.
    Well until November and then March onwards, Warnock would be fist pumping like it's going out of fashion then.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think an in form Ross McCormack could do better for us than most of our striking options.
    Only one small problem, McCormack hasn't been in form since early 2016.

Jones was a good manager. Warnock would get the better out of him more often than not, just like he did at QPR.

It’s been reported that Ross has just had a £30k per week pay rise for promotion with Villa despite not starting for them since September 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    It’s been reported that Ross has just had a £30k per week pay rise for promotion with Villa despite not starting for them since September 2017.
    He was released at the end of the season. I currently earn more per week than he does

He was released at the end of the season. I currently earn more per week than he does
    OK, missed that.

He has signed a variation agreement at Villa. He's still getting paid 70k a week for this season but whatever club he signs for, Villa will make up the difference. So if he signs for 10k a week, Villa pay him 60k.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He has signed a variation agreement at Villa. He's still getting paid 70k a week for this season but whatever club he signs for, Villa will make up the difference. So if he signs for 10k a week, Villa pay him 60k.
    Missed that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Missed that too.
    So you are right, he got a massive payrise (and a slice of their promotion bonus). Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Jones was a good manager. Warnock would get the better out of him more often than not, just like he did at QPR.
    They were halcyon days under Jones. Some of the best football down the city I’ve seen in my lifetime.
    The collapse at the end of 2008/2009 was unforgivable, but the play off defeat was unbearable. I often wonder how things would have panned out for the club if we’d beaten Blackpool that day.

They were halcyon days under Jones. Some of the best football down the city I’ve seen in my lifetime.
    The collapse at the end of 2008/2009 was unforgivable, but the play off defeat was unbearable. I often wonder how things would have panned out for the club if we’d beaten Blackpool that day.
    And some of the worst, too. Good side but so reliant on Bothroyd. I think we'd probably have been in the PL for a good number of seasons but you never know!