+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gay footballer

Gay footballer

So there's a championship player who's recently made a twitter account under the handle @footballergay and is expected to come out very soon (Jim White has been in contact with the player to confirm it's not a hoax)

I know there's going to be a few people on here giving out the "I don't care" response and that's fine, but this is a big step to hopefully getting rid of the stigma around homosexuality in football. The fact there's only been two players to my knowledge to be openly gay in football is astonishing (Justin Fashanu and Robbie Rogers). Not entirely sure if the match-going fans will be accepting of him though

Re: Gay footballer

I had to google Robbie Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    So there's a championship player who's recently made a twitter account under the handle @footballergay and is expected to come out very soon (Jim White has been in contact with the player to confirm it's not a hoax)

I know there's going to be a few people on here giving out the "I don't care" response and that's fine, but this is a big step to hopefully getting rid of the stigma around homosexuality in football. The fact there's only been two players to my knowledge to be openly gay in football is astonishing (Justin Fashanu and Robbie Rogers). Not entirely sure if the match-going fans will be accepting of him though
    Why do you think fans wouldn't be accepting of him?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post

Thr german fella who played for villa. Hitzlesberger

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Bit of an odd sentence to finish on I thought. I thought it would be the opposite with a minority of brain dead idiots perhaps chanting stuff.

Just come out and stop acting like a big bloody drama queen announcing it anonymously on Twatter

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I'm guessing it was a poor choice of words, possibly implying that the odd opposition crowd may well offer some light hearted "bantz"?

Isn’t it curious that in other civilisations, in other periods of history, being homosexual was no big deal.

And we still consider ourselves advanced. Most of us aren’t able to fathom any type of reality outside the current place and time.

Jim White with his hyperbole bollocks

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I had to google Robbie Rogers.
    Robbie Rogers who? I've never heard of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Jim White with his hyperbole bollocks
    I wish I had hyperbole bollocks, I can barely last 5 minutes.

First thought was it looked like a hoax account. If its not then fair enough.

Biggest issue for me is the big unveiling event of it, why would you do that? From the gay friends or peoe I have met over the years they just want to fit in and for their relationships to be accepted like everyone else's. Unveiling himself like Real Madrids next signing is just strange for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Biggest issue for me is the big unveiling event of it, why would you do that? From the gay friends or peoe I have met over the years they just want to fit in and for their relationships to be accepted like everyone else's. Unveiling himself like Real Madrids next signing is just strange for me.
    I suppose it could pave the way for others to come out. The fact that quite a lot of people are actually gay, but other than 2 players who came out after they retired, no footballer has ever comes out must mean it's seen as a really difficult thing to do.

Coming out is supposed to be very difficult for anyone no matter how supportive their friends and family are. Imagine that in front of thousands of backwards football fans and the british tabload media.

Exactly, that's why I still don't buy it.

I think there’s a huge commercial opportunity awaiting someone. If this is a real player, it’s likely most people won’t have a clue who he is. After the big reveal there will be interview opportunities, magazines, sponsorships etc. He’ll also become far more well known, which will help him find clubs moving forward.

I can’t see him getting much abuse from fans. Not sure homophobia is that much of a thing to be honest. I’m sure we all know gay people - do you know any which are persecuted? The ones I know seem to be getting on just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    I think there’s a huge commercial opportunity awaiting someone. If this is a real player, it’s likely most people won’t have a clue who he is. After the big reveal there will be interview opportunities, magazines, sponsorships etc. He’ll also become far more well known, which will help him find clubs moving forward.

I can’t see him getting much abuse from fans. Not sure homophobia is that much of a thing to be honest. I’m sure we all know gay people - do you know any which are persecuted? The ones I know seem to be getting on just fine.
    Agree on the commercial opportunities, but they'd be exactly the same whether there was this dripfeed or not. It also said that he'd only come out to family and friends a few days before making the account. You'd imagine he'd allow them more time than doing it publicly almost immediately.

A lesbian couple were beaten up on a bus for refusing to kiss for a gang of men just last month, its very much still there

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Robbie Rogers who? I've never heard of him.
    Other blokes apparently.

I can’t see him getting much abuse from fans. Not sure homophobia is that much of a thing to be honest.
    I know people might say this is rubbish but this is the "straight white male priviledge" that people go on about, just because it's not something that we experienc in normal day to day life doesn't mean it isn't an issue.

Gay men and women are still regularly assaulted when people realise they're gay or for holding hands in public. And that's just in this country.

Have you ever seen how football fans from other countries react when clubs have promoted gay pride?

There seem to be quite a few LGBT+ women's footballers and a couple of high profile rugby names who identify as such (in Wales) - surely it's time that it can happen in men's football and it be recognised as normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I know people might say this is rubbish but this is the "straight white male priviledge" that people go on about, just because it's not something that we experienc in normal day to day life doesn't mean it isn't an issue.

Gay men and women are still regularly assaulted when people realise they're gay or for holding hands in public. And that's just in this country.

Have you ever seen how football fans from other countries react when clubs have promoted gay pride?
    Yeah because homophobia is such a problem with straight, white, males only.

The only people that go on about it are tools like you. Self appointed apologists who get offended on behalf of any minority they can latch onto to give themselves some kind of self important purpose on the internet.

****ing idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post

The only people that go on about it are tools like you. Self appointed apologists who get offended on behalf of any minority they can latch onto to give themselves some kind of self important purpose on the internet.

****ing idiot.

****ing idiot.
    Um mate that’s not what it means. It means straight white males don’t experience homophobia not that they are the ones being homophobic.

****ing idiot.
    I’d be sure you know what something means before calling someone a ****ing idiot.

****ing idiot.
    It was a response to someone saying "Not sure homophobia is that much of a thing to be honest" rather than pointing the finger at straight, white, males only. The point, in this case, being that if you live as what is presented as the norm then you generally don't see the experiences of people who don't share those characteristics and therefore can easily underestimate/deny any problems they experience or how difficult their lives can be because of them.