+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Thomas Cook advice

Thomas Cook advice

Found a holiday that is £300 cheaper for me and the Mrs than at TUI holidays.
    The holiday is for my neices wedding next September being held In cyprus. The trouble is I've read that Thomas Cook are in big financial trouble at the moment and they are having to sell off a lot of they're jets?
    Would you book a £2700 holiday with a company that could go bust even if they are ABTA protected?
    The hotel is selling out fast. Its a 5 star resort and even if we got our money back then we won't get back into that same hotel as it will be sold out for that week pretty soon.

Re: Thomas Cook advice

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    The holiday is for my neices wedding next September being held In cyprus. The trouble is I've read that Thomas Cook are in big financial trouble at the moment and they are having to sell off a lot of they're jets?
    Would you book a £2700 holiday with a company that could go bust even if they are ABTA protected?
    The hotel is selling out fast. Its a 5 star resort and even if we got our money back then we won't get back into that same hotel as it will be sold out for that week pretty soon.
    I guess it depends how much you want to gamble. Saving 11% or losing the hotel and possible holiday? I'd pay the extra just to be safe

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Book the hotel independently.

Then book flights with Easyjet on the dates flights for Sept 2020 are released.

When i say as soon as i mean get up around 5.30am on the morning of release and wait for them to come up.

I bought flights to Crete last 3 years school hols. Saved about a grand.

I’ve just done an ATOL claim with Holiday Place going bust. It’s easy to get the money back. I don’t think TC will go to the wall. Too big. It’s only come about as they struggled to borrow to cover winter costs. Snowballing speculative rumours.

As previously said book hotel now and flights later is a good option. Flight costs will be unknown and you may lose out cost wise but could save. Just remember to use a credit card. The likes of booking.com also offer pay on check-in/out.

I've played it safe and gone with TUI.
    Doesn't look good for Thomas cook

Why don't you see if tui will match it?

Disappointing about Thomas cook I know people have bad experiences etc but us Brits try and squeeze every last penny out of someone. I doubt it's the same now with online companies but I know we used to pay a lot less for our holidays than most others. I remember searching a few international websites German/ American for hotels and the cheapest one was British.