Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
No it wasn't.

I booked euros with Sainsbury's bank about a month before the referendum. I did so because they offered cancellation up to 24 hours before I needed them. I did so thinking that, if the rate did go up, I could cancel and buy again, but had the security that if the pound plummeted as a result of the referendum I could still get a reasonable rate.

The day following the referendum, the rate had dropped below 1.2. I was reading about it on my Facebook feed recently as I posted about it. Pro Brexit supporters talking bollocks that it was just a normal ebb and flow of currency.

I remember working out that I saved around £90 by buying when I did, not after the referendum, though I can't remember how much I actually converted. The guy at Sainsbury's said they had around 3 months business in 1 day the day before the referendum.
1.34 ish was the market rate. Tourist rate would have been lower. The graph of £/€ over the last 5 years clearly shows the £ dropped after the referendum and has never recovered since.