+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BBC Remain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: BBC Remain

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I was in Malta when the result was announced and I'm pretty sure the rate was slightly higher than 1.34. 1.39 possibly.
    No it wasn't.

I booked euros with Sainsbury's bank about a month before the referendum. I did so because they offered cancellation up to 24 hours before I needed them. I did so thinking that, if the rate did go up, I could cancel and buy again, but had the security that if the pound plummeted as a result of the referendum I could still get a reasonable rate.

The day following the referendum, the rate had dropped below 1.2. I was reading about it on my Facebook feed recently as I posted about it. Pro Brexit supporters talking bollocks that it was just a normal ebb and flow of currency.

I remember working out that I saved around £90 by buying when I did, not after the referendum, though I can't remember how much I actually converted. The guy at Sainsbury's said they had around 3 months business in 1 day the day before the referendum.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    No it wasn't.

I booked euros with Sainsbury's bank about a month before the referendum. I did so because they offered cancellation up to 24 hours before I needed them. I did so thinking that, if the rate did go up, I could cancel and buy again, but had the security that if the pound plummeted as a result of the referendum I could still get a reasonable rate.

The day following the referendum, the rate had dropped below 1.2. I was reading about it on my Facebook feed recently as I posted about it. Pro Brexit supporters talking bollocks that it was just a normal ebb and flow of currency.

I remember working out that I saved around £90 by buying when I did, not after the referendum, though I can't remember how much I actually converted. The guy at Sainsbury's said they had around 3 months business in 1 day the day before the referendum.
    1.34 ish was the market rate. Tourist rate would have been lower. The graph of £/€ over the last 5 years clearly shows the £ dropped after the referendum and has never recovered since.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    The pound is down and it makes BBC Remain headlines.

The 453 days it has been stronger was not newsworthy. What a total joke they are.
    When has it been stronger?

Do you think the BBC is backing remain?

It's what's been known for years as a currency race to the bottom with governments desperately trying to devalue their ones against others, while simultaneously robbing savers of interest income, especially their main rivals. The pound could easily revert back to its pre-2016 exchange rate value versus the euro by increasing the BoE base rate from its current 0.75% to 2% which is what UK CPI inflation is running at.

All currencies have lost 96%-98% of their purchasing power during the past century by being eroded through the inflation tax, most of it since 1971, because every one of them are backed by precisely nothing, and nothing is their true intrinsic value.

It's telling that the BoE base rate has been stuck under 1% for the past 10 years but had never been below 2% at any time before that since the Bank of England's creation in 1694.

First Team

Fair play, there are some very misinformed and deluded Brexiters in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    The number of people employed in manufacturing in the U.K. is at its highest level since September 2008.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/file?uri=/emp...a01jun2019.xls

Click on tab 6 and the numbers employed in each sector are tabulated.
    Doesn’t that spreadsheet back up his point about manufacturing massively decreasing over the last 30+ years?

The increase since 2008 isn’t the significant either is it considering the numbers?

freed of a lot of restrictions to their lives which they don't yearn for because they've never had them.
    What restrictions are placed on them now?

Ronniebird is a brand new account that has made all 4 of his posts today and 2 of them use the word globalist. My advice would be don’t waste your time trying to get a coherent argument out of him.

It’s probably gluey anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Ronniebird is a brand new account that has made all 4 of his posts today and 2 of them use the word globalist. My advice would be don’t waste your time trying to get a coherent argument out of him.

Bit uncalled for really.
    I used the word globalist in two posting which pertained to globalism. I don't think I mentioned it when I posted about Lee Tomlin, and the gluey reference I presume is an accusation of multi I.d's , but that's not the case.

As you say, I only just joined and in fact made a bit of a joke about that at the end of my previous posting, but I'm dissapointed that I got a personal attack so quickly - I don't think I said anything terrible did I ?

By the way, I assume that you've been appointed as the word police representative here and didn't like the word "globalist" . Are there any other words or parts of the English language which are banned ?

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Bit uncalled for really.
    I used the word globalist in two posting which pertained to globalism. I don't think I mentioned it when I posted about Lee Tomlin, and the gluey reference I presume is an accusation of multi I.d's , but that's not the case.

As you say, I only just joined and in fact made a bit of a joke about that at the end of my previous posting, but I'm dissapointed that I got a personal attack so quickly - I don't think I said anything terrible did I ?

By the way, I assume that you've been appointed as the word police representative here and didn't like the word "globalist" . Are there any other words or parts of the English language which are banned ?
    What did you expect from a bunch of Guardian readers?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post

Up yours! RonnieBird speaks sense. China don't have our best interests at heart, their long-term goal is world domination. They were bribing leading politicians who are also on the globalist bandwagon. The USA realised this, and they are seeking to readdress the trade imbalances that would have seen communist China become the dominant superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Up yours! RonnieBird speaks sense. China don't have our best interests at heart, their long-term goal is world domination. They were bribing leading politicians who are also on the globalist bandwagon. The USA realised this, and they are seeking to readdress the trade imbalances that would have seen communist China become the dominant superpower.

Thank you for the support there Wales Bales.
    I must say I wondered what I'd let myself in for , because I honestly don't think I'd said anything terrible.

Actually , when I thought it through I realised I'd misunderstood - you see I'd assumed that the other chatter's screen name referred to the French player we had, but perhaps it's a clever parody account based upon the gimmick that he's just very very rude without any apparent reason.
    I must apologise then to Mon. Gestède - I'm sorry Rudey , now that I see the pun I can appreciate your humour, which is a bit like where Ali G meets Monty Python I suppose .

Anyway, having cleared that up, I think you put the situation regarding Globalism, ( sorry if that word has triggered anyone), very well and succinctly , Wales Bales.

****ing hell

The number of people employed in manufacturing in the U.K. is at its highest level since September 2008.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/file?uri=/emp...a01jun2019.xls

Click on tab 6 and the numbers employed in each sector are tabulated.
    Barely an increase. Go back on tab 6. 4 million less in manufacturing since 1978. The sector's downward trend in employment continues. We import too many components which are now more expensive as a result of the post Brexit decline in the value if the £. Good luck to anyone manufacturing in the UK, using UK only components, selling overseas and wholly UK-owned. Sadly, not sufficient companies of that ilk.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Barely an increase. Go back on tab 6. 4 million less in manufacturing since 1978. The sector's downward trend in employment continues. We import too many components which are now more expensive as a result of the post Brexit decline in the value if the £. Good luck to anyone manufacturing in the UK, using UK only components, selling overseas and wholly UK-owned. Sadly, not sufficient companies of that ilk.
    I was merely pointing out that since the Brexit referendum, manufacturing employment has increased in the U.K.

You have pointed out that since the U.K.’s accession to the EEC/EU manufacturing employment has been reduced by nearly two thirds. Do you still believe that the our membership of the EU is good for manufacturing?

I was merely pointing out that since the Brexit referendum, manufacturing employment has increased in the U.K.

You have pointed out that since the U.K.’s accession to the EEC/EU manufacturing employment has been reduced by nearly two thirds. Do you still believe that the our membership of the EU is good for manufacturing?
    And do you think manufacturing has decreased because we were members of the EU rather than decisions made by our own Government?

Do you think our manufacturing industry is going to thrive after brexit, despite numerous manufacturing companies closing down or relocating because of brexit?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    And do you think manufacturing has decreased because we were members of the EU rather than decisions made by our own Government?

Do you think our manufacturing industry is going to thrive after brexit, despite numerous manufacturing companies closing down or relocating because of brexit?
    Why are you so terrified of a post-brexit Britain?

Why are you so terrified of a post-brexit Britain?
    Because we're part of a number of institutions through the EU that would have to be replaced without, currently, the skills required and lead by politicians who argue that Ireland can be negotiated in an "implementation period" that wouldn't exist without a deal or that Article 24 can be used if we crash out with a no deal - they don't understand our membership of the EU or don't want us to understand it.

TL:DR Brexit is a massive job and those currently pushing for it, and those wanting to lead it, are incompetent, corrupt or a mixture of the two.

How many people on here remember what Wales was like between the mines and steelworks closing and the Maastricht Treaty? It was grim. Wales has done very well from the EU. I can't understand why anyone living there what want to return to a centralized Tory government led by Cameron, May and now ****ing Boris Johnson controlling the purse strings.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    How many people on here remember what Wales was like between the mines and steelworks closing and the Maastricht Treaty? It was grim. Wales has done very well from the EU. I can't understand why anyone living there what want to return to a centralized Tory government led by Cameron, May and now ****ing Boris Johnson controlling the purse strings.
    They can be voted out.

They can be voted out.
    When the damage is done.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    When the damage is done.
    The damage was done over many years by EU, Labour and Conservative politicians. We need to reinvent ourselves, a fresh start with a new approach is what is required.

The damage was done by EU, Labour and Conservative politicians. We need to reinvent ourselves with a fresh start and a new approach.
    OnLy NiGe CaN sAvE uS

The damage was done over many years by EU, Labour and Conservative politicians. We need to reinvent ourselves, a fresh start with a new approach is what is required.
    Reinvent yourselves? As what? How are you going to be competitive?

You don't respond cos I whipped your arse, and you've been exposed as being an incompetent propagandist. The sad part is you don't even realise it!
    Imagine writing this in complete seriousness. Go get some fresh air ffs