Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 184

Thread: BBC Remain

  1. #31

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    The number of people employed in manufacturing in the U.K. is at its highest level since September 2008.

    https://www.ons.gov.uk/file?uri=/emp...a01jun2019.xls

    Click on tab 6 and the numbers employed in each sector are tabulated.
    In 1978, we made stuff. Nearly 7m out of a 42m working population were in manufacturing.

    In 2019, 2.7m out of a 53m working population were in manufacturing.

    We make a lot less than we used to.

  2. #32

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    The number of people employed in manufacturing in the U.K. is at its highest level since September 2008.

    https://www.ons.gov.uk/file?uri=/emp...a01jun2019.xls

    Click on tab 6 and the numbers employed in each sector are tabulated.
    It's now about 7% of jobs. In 2008 it was 10% of jobs. How much bigger will it have to become, and how quickly, for us to start fending for ourselves and buying British?


    It's nearly the 2020s. We have to start thinking of the world in the 2020s and not how it was in the past. The days of countries manufacturing all their own stuff are gone. If we try it we'll get destroyed by the countries who have hundreds of millions of low paid workers. It really doesn't matter if we like the way the world is, or if we close our eyes and Back Britain with all our might. I daresay the majority of workers in the 18th century didn't like the Industrial Revolution and wanted to go back to living on their farm with their family and not in a dirty smelly tiny house while working 14 hours in a dirty smelly massive factory, but the world changed and you either change too or get left behind.

  3. #33
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Anglia East
    Posts
    14,749

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Why would you want to go to Barcelona when you can go to sunny Skegness?

    We also have to actually make stuff for any of this to work. We don't.
    I'd rather go to Chelsea, now that they've got a proper manager

  4. #34

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    So where are all the factories and infrastructure going to pop up from on November 1st?

    Why did manufacturing etc leave our shores? I'm not so sure it was part of an EU master plan, more that other countries (and not EU countries) made stuff cheaper and consumers like cheaper things.

    Well of course they're not going to pop up on November first in time for bonfire night or anything. Whenever we do anything worthwhile in life there's going to be a bit of disruption from the norm and initial inconvenience, but the snags of a transition back into a manufacturing economy are worth it.

    As far as your question about the decline of manufacturing is concerned, well that's a very big subject and largely to do with globalism. Now, globalism is intricately connected to the EU, and the EU is the most advanced globalist excersise so far, but for the purpose of the current duscussion I think we must separate it from the issue of Brexit or we'll get very mixed up !
    Suffice it to say here that Globalism is the real enemy and that the EU is not only an important bastion of globalism, but the specific one which is stifling our own economy and nation - therefore it is the one which we must overcome first.

    I think the problem is that younger people have no adult memory of British sovereignty and so they are naturally wary of the unfamiliar and unknown. The truth is, though, that they'd soon see the advantages of Brexit in the real world and be freed of a lot of restrictions to their lives which they don't yearn for because they've never had them.

    You can trust me on this because this is my third posting on this forum and so by now you've had plenty of time to get to know me !

  5. #35

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I think the problem is that younger people have no adult memory of British sovereignty and so they are naturally wary of the unfamiliar and unknown. The truth is, though, that they'd soon see the advantages of Brexit in the real world and be freed of a lot of restrictions to their lives which they don't yearn for because they've never had them.
    What are laws have we had that were foisted upon us?

  6. #36

    Re: BBC Remain

    freed of a lot of restrictions to their lives which they don't yearn for because they've never had them.
    What restrictions are placed on them now?

  7. #37

    Re: BBC Remain

    Ronniebird is a brand new account that has made all 4 of his posts today and 2 of them use the word globalist. My advice would be donít waste your time trying to get a coherent argument out of him.

    Itís probably gluey anyway.

  8. #38

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Ronniebird is a brand new account that has made all 4 of his posts today and 2 of them use the word globalist. My advice would be don’t waste your time trying to get a coherent argument out of him.

    It’s probably gluey anyway.

    Bit uncalled for really.
    I used the word globalist in two posting which pertained to globalism. I don't think I mentioned it when I posted about Lee Tomlin, and the gluey reference I presume is an accusation of multi I.d's , but that's not the case.

    As you say, I only just joined and in fact made a bit of a joke about that at the end of my previous posting, but I'm dissapointed that I got a personal attack so quickly - I don't think I said anything terrible did I ?

    By the way, I assume that you've been appointed as the word police representative here and didn't like the word "globalist" . Are there any other words or parts of the English language which are banned ?

  9. #39
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Anglia East
    Posts
    14,749

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Ronniebird is a brand new account that has made all 4 of his posts today and 2 of them use the word globalist. My advice would be don’t waste your time trying to get a coherent argument out of him.

    It’s probably gluey anyway.
    Up yours! RonnieBird speaks sense. China don't have our best interests at heart, their long-term goal is world domination. They were bribing leading politicians who are also on the globalist bandwagon. The USA realised this, and they are seeking to readdress the trade imbalances that would have seen communist China become the dominant superpower.

  10. #40
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Anglia East
    Posts
    14,749

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Bit uncalled for really.
    I used the word globalist in two posting which pertained to globalism. I don't think I mentioned it when I posted about Lee Tomlin, and the gluey reference I presume is an accusation of multi I.d's , but that's not the case.

    As you say, I only just joined and in fact made a bit of a joke about that at the end of my previous posting, but I'm dissapointed that I got a personal attack so quickly - I don't think I said anything terrible did I ?

    By the way, I assume that you've been appointed as the word police representative here and didn't like the word "globalist" . Are there any other words or parts of the English language which are banned ?
    What did you expect from a bunch of Guardian readers?

  11. #41

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    What are laws have we had that were foisted upon us?
    The lack of response says more than words ever could.

  12. #42

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Up yours! RonnieBird speaks sense. China don't have our best interests at heart, their long-term goal is world domination. They were bribing leading politicians who are also on the globalist bandwagon. The USA realised this, and they are seeking to readdress the trade imbalances that would have seen communist China become the dominant superpower.
    ****ing hell

  13. #43
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Anglia East
    Posts
    14,749

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    The lack of response says more than words ever could.
    It's the same old tired argument, try thinking for yourself and look at the bigger picture, you may find it liberating.

  14. #44

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It's the same old tired argument, try thinking for yourself you may find it liberating.
    We have apparently lost our sovereignty and can't come up with our laws. That's been said. What are they?

  15. #45
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Anglia East
    Posts
    14,749

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We have apparently lost our sovereignty and can't come up with our laws. That's been said. What are they?
    They've got you inside an invisible box, and you don't even realise it

  16. #46

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    They've got you inside an invisible box, and you don't even realise it
    You can't even tell me what they're doing to us? If you can come up with reasoned, well thought out points with facts, then you might change my mind. The EU has many, many faults. I personally think the benefits far outweigh these. I want to travel into Europe without restrictions, I want to work there without restrictions and I want our businesses and financial to trade without restrictions.

    You had said, you're in an invisible box and you don't even realise. So, I don't know what to believe.

  17. #47
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Anglia East
    Posts
    14,749

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    You can't even tell me what they're doing to us? If you can come up with reasoned, well thought out points with facts, then you might change my mind. The EU has many, many faults. I personally think the benefits far outweigh these. I want to travel into Europe without restrictions, I want to work there without restrictions and I want our businesses and financial to trade without restrictions.

    You had said, you're in an invisible box and you don't even realise. So, I don't know what to believe.
    There are certainly many benefits, but then there is also the underlying ideology. I may be cynical, but I can't help thinking that the benefits are being used to sell the ideology. This will only become apparent when we reach the point of no return. If they had stopped at the customs union, I don't think the idea of Brexit would have even materialised. If you doubt my words, then I suggest you take a look at history.

  18. #48

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    There are certainly many benefits, but then there is also the underlying ideology. I may be cynical, but I can't help thinking that the benefits are being used to sell the ideology. This will only become apparent when we reach the point of no return. If they had stopped at the customs union, I don't think the idea of Brexit would have even materialised. If you doubt my words, then I suggest you take a look at history.
    By history, do you mean the longest ever period of peace in Europe? We have our own borders apart from EU citizens (which is a benefit), we make our own laws by and large and we're in a customs union.

  19. #49
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Anglia East
    Posts
    14,749

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    By history, do you mean the longest ever period of peace in Europe? We have our own borders apart from EU citizens (which is a benefit), we make our own laws by and large and we're in a customs union.
    It's another sociopolitical construct, and there are many case studies from the past going back thousands of years.

  20. #50

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    By history, do you mean the longest ever period of peace in Europe? We have our own borders apart from EU citizens (which is a benefit), we make our own laws by and large and we're in a customs union.
    Seriously don't bother, it's not worth your time.

  21. #51

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Seriously don't bother, it's not worth your time.
    In the last 12 months, I've responded to him twice or maybe three times. It's far better not to encourage him and makes the site much more pleasant.

  22. #52

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    The number of people employed in manufacturing in the U.K. is at its highest level since September 2008.

    https://www.ons.gov.uk/file?uri=/emp...a01jun2019.xls

    Click on tab 6 and the numbers employed in each sector are tabulated.
    Barely an increase. Go back on tab 6. 4 million less in manufacturing since 1978. The sector's downward trend in employment continues. We import too many components which are now more expensive as a result of the post Brexit decline in the value if the £. Good luck to anyone manufacturing in the UK, using UK only components, selling overseas and wholly UK-owned. Sadly, not sufficient companies of that ilk.

  23. #53

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    In the last 12 months, I've responded to him twice or maybe three times. It's far better not to encourage him and makes the site much more pleasant.
    You'll never get a straight or coherent answer anyway, it's a waste of time.

  24. #54
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Anglia East
    Posts
    14,749

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    In the last 12 months, I've responded to him twice or maybe three times. It's far better not to encourage him and makes the site much more pleasant.
    You don't respond cos I whipped your arse, and you've been exposed as being an incompetent propagandist. The sad part is you don't even realise it!

  25. #55

    Re: BBC Remain

    How many people on here remember what Wales was like between the mines and steelworks closing and the Maastricht Treaty? It was grim. Wales has done very well from the EU. I can't understand why anyone living there what want to return to a centralized Tory government led by Cameron, May and now ****ing Boris Johnson controlling the purse strings.

  26. #56
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Anglia East
    Posts
    14,749

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    How many people on here remember what Wales was like between the mines and steelworks closing and the Maastricht Treaty? It was grim. Wales has done very well from the EU. I can't understand why anyone living there what want to return to a centralized Tory government led by Cameron, May and now ****ing Boris Johnson controlling the purse strings.
    They can be voted out.

  27. #57

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    You don't respond cos I whipped your arse, and you've been exposed as being an incompetent propagandist. The sad part is you don't even realise it!
    Imagine writing this in complete seriousness. Go get some fresh air ffs

  28. #58
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Anglia East
    Posts
    14,749

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Imagine writing this in complete seriousness. Go get some fresh air ffs
    There's nothing like a dose of truth to clear the air

  29. #59

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    They can be voted out.
    When the damage is done.

  30. #60

    Re: BBC Remain

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Why would you want to go to Barcelona when you can go to sunny Skegness?

    We also have to actually make stuff for any of this to work. We don't.
    It was my first thought the day after brexit.

    'thank ****, now the pound will crash and I can secure the kind of life i have always dreamed of, working in a sweat shop making t-shirts for people from Taiwan'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •