+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Alt Accounts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Alt Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I only asked because I'd never heard the phrase before .

What's your favourite Ronnie Bird goal then? This one has to be up there, but I can remember a beauty he scored against Villa as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqidJ_1pX-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex4ubY0JlH0

Wow - I didn't know there were any clips of Ronnie Bird but I've downloaded both to show my grandchildren , whom I bore with tales of old Cardiff City footballers.
    I was probably at both those games, but I can't remember them really. It wasn't so much his actual goals I remember ,but rather the style and determination he had, and when he did have a shot it was always like a missile, even if it went wide. By the early seventies he was hardly getting a full game but became the " super sub", coming on and injecting spectacular attacks to huge cheers from the crowd, whether or not he did manage to turn the game . I remember him playing away at Bristol City around Christmas in the snow one year and running circles around them.

I only chose Ronnie as a screen name quite randomly out of a number of old players and managers I used to like, so I'm not an expert on him. This being so I googled him and I was very sad indeed to see that he'd died quite young a good while back.Most of the stuff on Wiki about him was news to me in fact, and I might be quite wrong about this because it's not mentioned, but didn't he have a hairdressers shop in perhaps Churchill Way, Cardiff at one time ?

Now I think about it , both he and Sir Jimmy Scoular himself played in a friendly one year at Ton Pentre and I met both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Wow - I didn't know there were any clips of Ronnie Bird but I've downloaded both to show my grandchildren , whom I bore with tales of old Cardiff City footballers.
    I was probably at both those games, but I can't remember them really. It wasn't so much his actual goals I remember ,but rather the style and determination he had, and when he did have a shot it was always like a missile, even if it went wide. By the early seventies he was hardly getting a full game but became the " super sub", coming on and injecting spectacular attacks to huge cheers from the crowd, whether or not he did manage to turn the game . I remember him playing away at Bristol City around Christmas in the snow one year and running circles around them.

I only chose Ronnie as a screen name quite randomly out of a number of old players and managers I used to like, so I'm not an expert on him. This being so I googled him and I was very sad indeed to see that he'd died quite young a good while back.Most of the stuff on Wiki about him was news to me in fact, and I might be quite wrong about this because it's not mentioned, but didn't he have a hairdressers shop in perhaps Churchill Way, Cardiff at one time ?

Now I think about it , both he and Sir Jimmy Scoular himself played in a friendly one year at Ton Pentre and I met both of them.
    I was at that match at Ton Pentre, there was a big crowd there that day.

I was at that match at Ton Pentre, there was a big crowd there that day.

How strange - small world. I didn't think there was a huge crowd , but you're probably right. My memory is of standing right on the touch line. I'm pretty sure it was raining heavily ,but we didn't care.
    Sir Jim was getting a bit out of puff but he was tackling and running with about 300% commitment.

By the way, my chum Rudey has posted above an article which you apparently wrote which mentions Ronnie Bird's hairdressers in Churchill way. Ignoring the fact that he thinks I cribbed it from the article (!!!!) it means that my vague memory was right.
    The whole article was very good and I enjoyed reading it though, but I wonder if it's strictly correct that Ian Gibson displaced Ronnie because he was much more a midfield general than an attacker really .
    I wrote elsewhere that Harry Arter was probably the best midfielder I've seen in a Cardiff shirt EXCEPT Ian Gibson, who's exactly the kind of player we need now. I think we got him fairly cheaply from Coventry didn't we ? Again I'm trawling the deep waters of my memory ,( second fishing metaphor of the day), but didn't he have some kind of a heart problem at some point ?

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    How strange - small world. I didn't think there was a huge crowd , but you're probably right. My memory is of standing right on the touch line. I'm pretty sure it was raining heavily ,but we didn't care.
    Sir Jim was getting a bit out of puff but he was tackling and running with about 300% commitment.

By the way, my chum Rudey has posted above an article which you apparently wrote which mentions Ronnie Bird's hairdressers in Churchill way. Ignoring the fact that he thinks I cribbed it from the article (!!!!) it means that my vague memory was right.
    The whole article was very good and I enjoyed reading it though, but I wonder if it's strictly correct that Ian Gibson displaced Ronnie because he was much more a midfield general than an attacker really .
    I wrote elsewhere that Harry Arter was probably the best midfielder I've seen in a Cardiff shirt EXCEPT Ian Gibson, who's exactly the kind of player we need now. I think we got him fairly cheaply from Coventry didn't we ? Again I'm trawling the deep waters of my memory ,( second fishing metaphor of the day), but didn't he have some kind of a heart problem at some point ?
    You're right, Ian Gibson and Ronnie Bird played in different positions, but the versatility of, for example, Peter King and Bobby Woodruff meant that others could play in Bird's position on the left wing.

Can't say I can remember Ian Gibson having a heart problem - more a bookie problem.

You're right, Ian Gibson and Ronnie Bird played in different positions, but the versatility of, for example, Peter King and Bobby Woodruff meant that others could play in Bird's position on the left wing.

Can't say I can remember Ian Gibson having a heart problem - more a bookie problem.

Did Woodruff play on the wing ? I remember us buying him from Luton and to be honest I didn't ever think he was up to much . Again I might be wrong because it's a long time ago but I thought Woodruff was a defensive midfielder. Peter King was another matter though - great player and I might just as easily have chosen that screen name.
    I see Woodruff in your photo, but I keep wondering about the one in the middle - is it Dave Carver with long hair ?