+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Alt Accounts

Re: Alt Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Wow - I didn't know there were any clips of Ronnie Bird but I've downloaded both to show my grandchildren , whom I bore with tales of old Cardiff City footballers.
    I was probably at both those games, but I can't remember them really. It wasn't so much his actual goals I remember ,but rather the style and determination he had, and when he did have a shot it was always like a missile, even if it went wide. By the early seventies he was hardly getting a full game but became the " super sub", coming on and injecting spectacular attacks to huge cheers from the crowd, whether or not he did manage to turn the game . I remember him playing away at Bristol City around Christmas in the snow one year and running circles around them.

I only chose Ronnie as a screen name quite randomly out of a number of old players and managers I used to like, so I'm not an expert on him. This being so I googled him and I was very sad indeed to see that he'd died quite young a good while back.Most of the stuff on Wiki about him was news to me in fact, and I might be quite wrong about this because it's not mentioned, but didn't he have a hairdressers shop in perhaps Churchill Way, Cardiff at one time ?

Now I think about it , both he and Sir Jimmy Scoular himself played in a friendly one year at Ton Pentre and I met both of them.
    I was at that match at Ton Pentre, there was a big crowd there that day.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So doesn't that mean that there were at least three from this MB there then?

I met Ronnie Bird, nice fella, he used to live in Llandaff North.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    So doesn't that mean that there were at least three from this MB there then?
    Depends if they are the same alt or not

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    He’s just googled Ronnie Bird and is just quoting lines from bob’s own article which is the second link

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/ronnie...ansea-rivalry/

No, you're doing it again aren't you ?
    You must spend hours forensically examining text to find similarities but as I told you earlier, people do often use similar phrases and refer to the same incident or fact.
    I'd never read the article which you linked to actually, and I expect the fact that Bob , ( if I can call him that ) , and I remembered Ronnie having a hairdressers in Churchill Way is more to do with the fact that he had a hairdressers in Churchill Way rather than any international conspiracy !

Incidentally, now that I've read it I think it's very good and not a thousand miles from what I said actually , ( again , because that's what happened rather than for any sinister reason).

You should stop this nonsense now Rudey. You made a stupid and false allegation and you're making yourself sound more silly by refusing to let go of it.

How strange - small world. I didn't think there was a huge crowd , but you're probably right. My memory is of standing right on the touch line. I'm pretty sure it was raining heavily ,but we didn't care.
    Sir Jim was getting a bit out of puff but he was tackling and running with about 300% commitment.

By the way, my chum Rudey has posted above an article which you apparently wrote which mentions Ronnie Bird's hairdressers in Churchill way. Ignoring the fact that he thinks I cribbed it from the article (!!!!) it means that my vague memory was right.
    The whole article was very good and I enjoyed reading it though, but I wonder if it's strictly correct that Ian Gibson displaced Ronnie because he was much more a midfield general than an attacker really .
    I wrote elsewhere that Harry Arter was probably the best midfielder I've seen in a Cardiff shirt EXCEPT Ian Gibson, who's exactly the kind of player we need now. I think we got him fairly cheaply from Coventry didn't we ? Again I'm trawling the deep waters of my memory ,( second fishing metaphor of the day), but didn't he have some kind of a heart problem at some point ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Ronnie Bird was my 1st City Hero, my dad wasn't a massive fan but did go on occasions, my 1st recall of being at NP was standing on the right hand side of the grange end with Ronnie bird going down the wing towards the Canton End, flowing blond hair!!.
    I wonder if you're thinking of Barrie Jones there, because Ronnie Bird had quite short black hair?

How strange - small world. I didn't think there was a huge crowd , but you're probably right. My memory is of standing right on the touch line. I'm pretty sure it was raining heavily ,but we didn't care.
    Sir Jim was getting a bit out of puff but he was tackling and running with about 300% commitment.

By the way, my chum Rudey has posted above an article which you apparently wrote which mentions Ronnie Bird's hairdressers in Churchill way. Ignoring the fact that he thinks I cribbed it from the article (!!!!) it means that my vague memory was right.
    The whole article was very good and I enjoyed reading it though, but I wonder if it's strictly correct that Ian Gibson displaced Ronnie because he was much more a midfield general than an attacker really .
    I wrote elsewhere that Harry Arter was probably the best midfielder I've seen in a Cardiff shirt EXCEPT Ian Gibson, who's exactly the kind of player we need now. I think we got him fairly cheaply from Coventry didn't we ? Again I'm trawling the deep waters of my memory ,( second fishing metaphor of the day), but didn't he have some kind of a heart problem at some point ?
    You're right, Ian Gibson and Ronnie Bird played in different positions, but the versatility of, for example, Peter King and Bobby Woodruff meant that others could play in Bird's position on the left wing.

Can't say I can remember Ian Gibson having a heart problem - more a bookie problem.

Did he ? I didn't know about that. I think there was something about his heart, but maybe I'm just melding the memory with Asa Hartford ?
    I think the bloke posting about Ronnie Bird running down the wrong side of the pitch with the wrong colour hair is still trying to catch me out , but maybe I'm now going nuts myself for even thinking about that.

International

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    He’s just googled Ronnie Bird and is just quoting lines from bob’s own article which is the second link

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/ronnie...ansea-rivalry/

Why does this obsess you so much? I see it as a bit of fun but you cannot let it go. Don't you have anything better to do with your time? I mean........really!

Specially since he's wrong. He's sat there googling Ronnie Bird's hairdressing shop to try and prove his theories.
    Why wouldn't WB know about Ronnie Bird incidentally ?

Specially since he's wrong. He's sat there googling Ronnie Bird's hairdressing shop to try and prove his theories.
    Why wouldn't WB know about Ronnie Bird incidentally ?
    I've met him! He used to live not so far from Bale's house.

I wonder if you're thinking of Barrie Jones there, because Ronnie Bird had quite short black hair?
    You have ruined a 50 year memory with this post

You're right, Ian Gibson and Ronnie Bird played in different positions, but the versatility of, for example, Peter King and Bobby Woodruff meant that others could play in Bird's position on the left wing.

Can't say I can remember Ian Gibson having a heart problem - more a bookie problem.

Did Woodruff play on the wing ? I remember us buying him from Luton and to be honest I didn't ever think he was up to much . Again I might be wrong because it's a long time ago but I thought Woodruff was a defensive midfielder. Peter King was another matter though - great player and I might just as easily have chosen that screen name.
    I see Woodruff in your photo, but I keep wondering about the one in the middle - is it Dave Carver with long hair ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    You have ruined a 50 year memory with this post
    Well Barrie Jones wasn't really a winger either, although I think he'd played in that position for Swansea, so maybe he reverted that day.
    He broke his leg away to Blackpool and never played again. I THINK I was at that game, but didn't realise how serious it was. He was a real icon of the club and though he certainly played in the same side as Ronnie Bird , his era overlapped Ronnie, but he was coming to the end as Ronnie was rising .
    See, I can't remember anyone with blonde hair except maybe Don Murray, and I can't imagine him running up the wing much. Mind you, I suppose you could say Brian Clarke had sort of blond hair ?