I had a bit of business to see to in Bridgend yesterday morning with my appointment being at 11:00am.

I left for the appointment early and decided to get a quick breakfast in a 'Spoons type pub near the bus station. I must say that I absolutely could not believe the state on people both in and outside of the pub.

This is the God's honest truth, there was a middle-aged woman in the pub surrounded by a load of middle-aged men who were clearly a few pints in, due to the empty glasses on the table. I couldn't help overhear their conversation about their benefit assessment and how they say that they can't leave the house as they're fearful of the outside world due to their mental health....This was 10:15am and they were sat in a pub.

Outside the window, there were three shirtless blokes stumbling all over the place before huddling in a corner. Eventually, one of them collapsed and an ambulance was called. With that, some of the 'benefit scrounger' group went outside to get a better view of the commotion and I could hear them comment that the three blokes are 'wastes of space', should get a job and a 'kick up the arse'.

It was a shame to see Bridgend like that because it could be a lovely town. After my appointment, I was approached by some kids doing a survey for their GCSE. They asked me to comment on my 'experience' of Bridgend Town Centre that day. I told them in no uncertain terms what I thought. The poor kids only wanted me to answer a few tick-box questions!

I saw plenty of other 'characters' along the way too.

I often wonder what's gone wrong in people's lives to end up like that. They were all little kids at one stage, kicking a football/climbing trees etc. They had no idea that they would turn out the way they have. Sad.