+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bridgend Town Centre

Bridgend Town Centre

I had a bit of business to see to in Bridgend yesterday morning with my appointment being at 11:00am.

I left for the appointment early and decided to get a quick breakfast in a 'Spoons type pub near the bus station. I must say that I absolutely could not believe the state on people both in and outside of the pub.

This is the God's honest truth, there was a middle-aged woman in the pub surrounded by a load of middle-aged men who were clearly a few pints in, due to the empty glasses on the table. I couldn't help overhear their conversation about their benefit assessment and how they say that they can't leave the house as they're fearful of the outside world due to their mental health....This was 10:15am and they were sat in a pub.

Outside the window, there were three shirtless blokes stumbling all over the place before huddling in a corner. Eventually, one of them collapsed and an ambulance was called. With that, some of the 'benefit scrounger' group went outside to get a better view of the commotion and I could hear them comment that the three blokes are 'wastes of space', should get a job and a 'kick up the arse'.

It was a shame to see Bridgend like that because it could be a lovely town. After my appointment, I was approached by some kids doing a survey for their GCSE. They asked me to comment on my 'experience' of Bridgend Town Centre that day. I told them in no uncertain terms what I thought. The poor kids only wanted me to answer a few tick-box questions!

I saw plenty of other 'characters' along the way too.

I often wonder what's gone wrong in people's lives to end up like that. They were all little kids at one stage, kicking a football/climbing trees etc. They had no idea that they would turn out the way they have. Sad.

Re: Bridgend Town Centre

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I had a bit of business to see to in Bridgend yesterday morning with my appointment being at 11:00am.

I left for the appointment early and decided to get a quick breakfast in a 'Spoons type pub near the bus station. I must say that I absolutely could not believe the state on people both in and outside of the pub.

This is the God's honest truth, there was a middle-aged woman in the pub surrounded by a load of middle-aged men who were clearly a few pints in, due to the empty glasses on the table. I couldn't help overhear their conversation about their benefit assessment and how they say that they can't leave the house as they're fearful of the outside world due to their mental health....This was 10:15am and they were sat in a pub.

Outside the window, there were three shirtless blokes stumbling all over the place before huddling in a corner. Eventually, one of them collapsed and an ambulance was called. With that, some of the 'benefit scrounger' group went outside to get a better view of the commotion and I could hear them comment that the three blokes are 'wastes of space', should get a job and a 'kick up the arse'.

It was a shame to see Bridgend like that because it could be a lovely town. After my appointment, I was approached by some kids doing a survey for their GCSE. They asked me to comment on my 'experience' of Bridgend Town Centre that day. I told them in no uncertain terms what I thought. The poor kids only wanted me to answer a few tick-box questions!

I often wonder what's gone wrong in people's lives to end up like that. They were all little kids at one stage, kicking a football/climbing trees etc. They had no idea that they would turn out the way they have. Sad.
    I've moved around with work and covered many different towns in Wales, Bridgend town centre is a shithole, the people generally seemed down which is understandable, I couldn't wait to get out of there, I found it a very depressing place!

Used to live near there for about 30 years. Total shit hole.

Haven't been to Bridgend for years but it sounds just like Port Talbot. Typical of once thriving communities who have lost their sense of community and identity.
    Fortunately not all towns in Wales are like this.

Im about to make the same journey myself. Wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Im about to make the same journey myself. Wish me luck.
    DON'T DO IT
    🤔

Work there the odd day, maybe a few times over a year. Town is run down, regarding the people though you certainly see those types around Cardiff, just they blend in a little more due to the greater population.

McArthur Glenn basically ****ed Bridgend Town Centre though, if it wasn't already before.

This ongoing moral and social decay is why the upcoming World War 3 will be a blessing in disguise as it'll provide an opportunity to cull all the deadbeats through conscription by bunging them on the front lines. Older chavs who have been on the sick for 30 years straight with an ingrown toenail or mild anxiety can be put to work in decoy munitions factories nationwide for their locations to be leaked to ensure enemy bombers blow them to kingdom come. Naturally, such measures would only apply to those with white faces as subjecting people with a different skin colour to guaranteed slaughter would be racist (and Croesy Blue would have a fit).

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    This ongoing moral and social decay is why the upcoming World War 3 will be a blessing in disguise as it'll provide an opportunity to cull all the deadbeats through conscription by bunging them on the front lines. Older chavs who have been on the sick for 30 years straight with an ingrown toenail or mild anxiety can be put to work in decoy munitions factories nationwide for their locations to be leaked to ensure enemy bombers blow them to kingdom come. Naturally, such measures would only apply to those with white faces as subjecting people with a different skin colour to guaranteed slaughter would be racist (and Croesy Blue would have a fit).
    Classism is just as much as a problem as racism in this country. It's how you turn the working classes against each other, make people who earn £20k a year think they're millionaires compared to the poor sods who are on benefits.

And that last sentance even if you're joking the fact that's where you mind goes says more about you than me

I've worked in Bridgend for years on the outskirts on one of the Industrial Estates.
    Its a weird place as all the suburbs, housing and schools are pretty good and nice places to live. Plenty of Buisiness's thriving (albeit the recent Ford Closure which is going to have a big effect) but everything else on the outskirts shopping areas seem busy and normal.
    Just the town centre really. Its like many across South Wales which seems to have boarded up buildings, lots of graffiti / vandalism and just general messed up people.
    But travel 1/2 mile out of the centre and its all quite normal and respectable.
    Odd place.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Classism is just as much as a problem as racism in this country. It's how you turn the working classes against each other, make people who earn £20k a year think they're millionaires compared to the poor sods who are on benefits.

And that last sentance even if you're joking the fact that's where you mind goes says more about you than me
    I think you need to read more of OM’s posts.
    It’s a joke, he’s very good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post

Jesus. My suggestion was going to be to bring back the old pub licensing laws...

The sad thing is if the Ford factory shuts and nothing takes its place it can only get worse.

Obviously I’m from Bridgend, yes it’s gone down hill thanks to the drop in centre and flats they have built near by to help the w⚓️S. I work in Newport and every day after walking about Newport, I think Really Bridgend ain’t so bad. The boys I work with from Port Talbot and Neath feel the same.
    Everywhere seems to be on a downward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by Penybont Blue View Post
    Obviously I’m from Bridgend, yes it’s gone down hill thanks to the drop in centre and flats they have built near by to help the w⚓️S. I work in Newport and every day after walking about Newport, I think Really Bridgend ain’t so bad. The boys I work with from Port Talbot and Neath feel the same.
    Everywhere seems to be on a downward spiral.
    You really are 'living the dream'�� (sorry mate, I couldn't resist).

I work in one of the IND estates near Bridgend, you're not far off the mark, sh!t hole. but still better than Swansea.

I’ve lived in Bridgend for 25 years and kind of like the place!
    It’s a fairly well to do place on the whole, new developments around brackla, broadlands, coity, couchurch and lalesten all these areas are nice working/middle class areas. Good schools as mentioned. 10 minutes drive from ogmore-by-sea and 10 minute drive into porthcawl. I live about 1 mike away from mcarthur glen so do all my shopping there

Good golf clubs (ideal for me) and the top end of town by the tennis club/ newbridge fields has some good pubs full of Cardiff city fans.

I work in the US but honestly enjoy going
    back home

It's really sad when locals lose love for their town and stop looking after it. So much litter left on the streets everywhere.

It sounds very much like Newport, it's a massive shame as high streets are struggling enough without having to put people off. I for one wouldn't take my kids into the town centre .

Businesses are struggling because less people are visiting because of events like this.

Maybe the people enjoy their lives, once you get past the acceptance of not giving a shit and leaving your integrity at the door you are not working and spending time with friends

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    It sounds very much like Newport, it's a massive shame as high streets are struggling enough without having to put people off. I for one wouldn't take my kids into the town centre .

Businesses are struggling because less people are visiting because of events like this.

Maybe the people enjoy their lives, once you get past the acceptance of not giving a shit and leaving your integrity at the door you are not working and spending time with friends
    Doesn't that behaviour just create a cycle though? Day drinkers, families not wanting to go into town, local businesses struggling and/or failing, greater unemployment, day drinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Doesn't that behaviour just create a cycle though? Day drinkers, families not wanting to go into town, local businesses struggling and/or failing, greater unemployment, day drinkers.
    Yes of course but the op asked wondered what had gone wrong in their life to be so sad, but ultimately what one person finds sad another finds enjoyment.

There's a big problem In lots of town centres I don't know what the answers are but ultimately it's up to local councils to work on and provide a solution. The businesses should be putting pressure on the council's to change something

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Yes of course but the op asked wondered what had gone wrong in their life to be so sad, but ultimately what one person finds sad another finds enjoyment.

There's a big problem In lots of town centres I don't know what the answers are but ultimately it's up to local councils to work on and provide a solution. The businesses should be putting pressure on the council's to change something
    The answer is to convert all the empty commercial properties into nice homes! Most people now shop out of town because of free parking and the convenience but if more people lived in the Town centres there would be more custom for the local shops?
    I live in Laleston but rarely go to the Town centre nowadays because It’s unfortunately become a dump but outside town there are some outstanding areas as previously described.

I've found the centre of Newport to be much worse than anywhere else in South Wales for the past 20 years or more, though it's eons since visiting Swansea and keep hearing it's just as bad. We've always had pockets of poverty and deprivation but this general malaise is accelerating and most visible by the number of drug addicts, pissheads, beggars and rough sleepers (who in reality are more hopeless addicts) operating in public spaces with increasing impunity because 22,000 coppers have been elbowed since 2010 and the British prison estate is permanently operating at just several hundred places below maximum capacity that's resulted in magistrates and judges grasping at any mitigating circumstance not to imprison those who should be locked up. Serial shoplifters, as an example, have to commit scores of offences before finally receiving a token month in clink.

Is bound to be someone else fault , in this world of blame ,and its not my fault .

It seems pride and self esteem have completely left some .

Eh?