+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: San Antonio FC vs Cardiff City

Re: San Antonio FC vs Cardiff City

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    That game was a shocker, what was the City thinking agreeing to play a game on an awful pitch, 93 degrees heat and against a team containing 4 under 21s. Hope the fans that went are being treated like Royality because they deserve it. AS for the team preformance it was too hot to have any tempo and some of the subs were totally strange, Coxe playing out wide as a winger and Brown playing defensive Mid.
    That's what pre-season is about, testing things out. I'd rather 'our Neil play around with positions/formations now rather than in a few weeks when there's three points at stake.

I agree about the pitch though. It didn't exactly show San Antonio in a good light, did it? I was under the impression that there's money in yankee football.

Anybody watch the game. Who impressed?

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Anybody watch the game. Who impressed?
    Murphy, Reid & Manga. Sounds like a financial consultancy firm.

Murphy played an hour and looked the fittest of 'em all, but Morrison held his stamina very well too as you'd expect from the Capt.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    That's what pre-season is about, testing things out. I'd rather 'our Neil play around with positions/formations now rather than in a few weeks when there's three points at stake.

I agree about the pitch though. It didn't exactly show San Antonio in a good light, did it? I was under the impression that there's money in yankee football.

Don't think many Texans would like to be called Yankees , but it's pretty hot and dry there you know , so maintaining grass is very difficult. If you water it a lot the sun is likely to burn it and if you don't the dryness will kill it. Maybe you could have a covered stadium or fake grass but I expect that'd have its own problems.

For those that watched did Bolger make much of an impact?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    For those that watched did Bolger make much of an impact?
    No, I didn't think so, his name was barely heard in the commentary. I mentioned in the blog piece I did today that I saw very little passing in our midfield during the half hour I watched, but it should be pointed that, first, the pitch was not the best through the middle of the park, second, that the game was at the stage where endless substitutions meant it was hard for either side to build any continuity and, third, Bolger had Damour and, I think, Brown as his midfield partners in the closing minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    That game was a shocker, what was the City thinking agreeing to play a game on an awful pitch, 93 degrees heat and against a team containing 4 under 21s. Hope the fans that went are being treated like Royality because they deserve it. AS for the team preformance it was too hot to have any tempo and some of the subs were totally strange, Coxe playing out wide as a winger and Brown playing defensive Mid.
    The second half goalie was in HIGH SCHOOL. Made a couple of crucial saves too.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Don't think many Texans would like to be called Yankees , but it's pretty hot and dry there you know , so maintaining grass is very difficult. If you water it a lot the sun is likely to burn it and if you don't the dryness will kill it. Maybe you could have a covered stadium or fake grass but I expect that'd have its own problems.
    Fair point. I really know my history as well so I'm annoyed at myself for that.

Maybe they could water it during the evenings? I'm no groundsman. I think there was a lot of grass being smoked in the stand by the looks of some of their fans.

NYCBlue - When their sub 'keeper came on, I thought "who is this little boy?" then he made two great saves. I bet Ward took some stick afterwards. The 'keeper wasn't phased at all. He looked like he was settling down to a session of FIFA.

There was a lot of British links in their team last night. More accurately, English.

I fell asleep just after the goal so didn't see many of the subs.

I thought Reid, Murphy and NML were quite fluid in the first half when they got going. There was one point where Vaulks played a stunning pass to Murphy (I think) using the outside of his boot from the opposite side of the field. Landed right in his path.

If he's our new Gunnarsson, I've never seen Gunnarsson spray a pass like that. Looking forward to seeing more of our new number 6.

Just seen the highlights, that pitch is shocking!

First Team

First, thank you to the SAFC fans for the welcome. They provided free food, beer, music and a warm welcome. A lost Leeds fan turned up ... even he got a welcome (of sorts).

SAFC have a nice new stadium and a shocking pitch. Basically it was 2/3rds sprayed-green sand. If you like beach football ...

I live in Arizona and I was aghast when they announced two friendlies against USL teams in the SW. First, the standard of the league is not all that and secondly I'm sure the weather is nothing like we'll face in any game in the entire season. It wasn't just the heat that was a problem, it was the incredible humidity. Think sauna.

So the game. In short, very disappointing. I hope there are no inferences to be drawn about prospects because, playing a team that basically we should have hammered, we were woeful. It was reminiscent of all those scrapped away wins of the 17-18 season: give nothing away and scrape a 1-0 from very little. The midfield needs real work and although I think Zohore has potential, for me, he just doesn't try hard enough. USL teams don't exactly have defense as their forte, yet Ken was dominated.

For those interested, there was, given circumstances, quite a contingent of City fans there. 8 of us from AZ, several from NY/DC, one guy from Alaska and his son from SLC, Mike and his wife from Cal and numerous others. I'd guess 150+. Some even managed to get a box on the camera side.

One small request if City ever do this again - further North please.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    First, thank you to the SAFC fans for the welcome. They provided free food, beer, music and a warm welcome. A lost Leeds fan turned up ... even he got a welcome (of sorts).

SAFC have a nice new stadium and a shocking pitch. Basically it was 2/3rds sprayed-green sand. If you like beach football ...

I live in Arizona and I was aghast when they announced two friendlies against USL teams in the SW. First, the standard of the league is not all that and secondly I'm sure the weather is nothing like we'll face in any game in the entire season. It wasn't just the heat that was a problem, it was the incredible humidity. Think sauna.

So the game. In short, very disappointing. I hope there are no inferences to be drawn about prospects because, playing a team that basically we should have hammered, we were woeful. It was reminiscent of all those scrapped away wins of the 17-18 season: give nothing away and scrape a 1-0 from very little. The midfield needs real work and although I think Zohore has potential, for me, he just doesn't try hard enough. USL teams don't exactly have defense as their forte, yet Ken was dominated.

For those interested, there was, given circumstances, quite a contingent of City fans there. 8 of us from AZ, several from NY/DC, one guy from Alaska and his son from SLC, Mike and his wife from Cal and numerous others. I'd guess 150+. Some even managed to get a box on the camera side.

One small request if City ever do this again - further North please.
    I didn't think you had humidity in AZ. I thought it was a "dry heat". So when it's 115F, it's also humid? Jesus!

I thought he was referring to the San Antonio conditions

First Team

Correct.