+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New contract for Sol

New contract for Sol

Sky reporting the club is close to agreeing a contract extension with Sol:

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...n-new-contract

The report also mentions his agent - same agent that Emiliano Sala had. So no involvement by Warnock junior!

A lot of posters were very happy with the Glenn Murray rumoured signing despite increasing age and decreasing mobility - so shouldn't be too many dissenting voices on this one.

Personally, I'm happy with Sol extending his stay - but I would like to see how he is after the injury and would have questions if it is more than 2 years tops.

He's a great personality and good to have around the club - but Sol is clearly ageing and seems to be on his way to a life of punditry (is he doing coaching badges?) so maybe not mentally here for the long-term even if his level of performance is maintained into his late 30s.

Re: New contract for Sol

Sol is a bit of a strange one, have you ever seen anyone play like he does? I'm not sure how much football hw has played throughout his career or what his injury record is like, those would be factors in his longevity, he also has that ranginess in his body that seems to serve athletes well later in their career as oppossed to the stocky, powerful shape. I think that the question is with his injury, will he lose a yard or become a different player? If all goes well then i don't think that he'll become old overnight.

Another two years from now? Or from the end of his contact? Three years for a 34 year-old seems too long to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Another two years from now? Or from the end of his contact? Three years for a 34 year-old seems too long to me.
    Surely, that depends on the terms of the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We don't ever know the finer details of footballer's contracts though. I'd imagine that there would be something in there along the lines of him playing less games at some point through the duration of his contract and be willing to accept he may fall down the pecking order later on.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Sky reporting the club is close to agreeing a contract extension with Sol:

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...n-new-contract

The report also mentions his agent - same agent that Emiliano Sala had. So no involvement by Warnock junior!

A lot of posters were very happy with the Glenn Murray rumoured signing despite increasing age and decreasing mobility - so shouldn't be too many dissenting voices on this one.

Personally, I'm happy with Sol extending his stay - but I would like to see how he is after the injury and would have questions if it is more than 2 years tops.

He's a great personality and good to have around the club - but Sol is clearly ageing and seems to be on his way to a life of punditry (is he doing coaching badges?) so maybe not mentally here for the long-term even if his level of performance is maintained into his late 30s.
    Won't know the terms but he might take less money in wages in exchange for more long term security? Either way, it's good to keep him about. He's a big player on and off the pitch.

Maybe they want him till he retires with a view to keeping on the staff for a coaching role

A very entertaining footballer to watch for both good and bad.

Madness but hey this is Cardiff City

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Won't know the terms but he might take less money in wages in exchange for more long term security? Either way, it's good to keep him about. He's a big player on and off the pitch.
    That makes zero sense

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    That makes zero sense
    Say he's on 20k a week now, for one season. He might take 15k a week for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Say he's on 20k a week now, for one season. He might take 15k a week for 2 years.

Yeah ok

That makes zero sense
    It makes sense unless you have a mindset that if it were your business you wouldn’t offer him a new contract under any circumstance at all. If that’s the case ....fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Maybe they want him till he retires with a view to keeping on the staff for a coaching role
    that would be great shout i'd like him as our manager in the future

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It makes sense unless you have a mindset that if it were your business you wouldn’t offer him a new contract under any circumstance at all. If that’s the case ....fair enough
    Agreed. Its a very valid point.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    that would be great shout i'd like him as our manager in the future
    Sol had opportunity to move and make some £££ in January. He turned it down. Hes very happy in Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Agreed. Its a very valid point.

Sol had opportunity to move and make some £££ in January. He turned it down. Hes very happy in Cardiff.
    Dai Bamba , is a taffy la, la ,la,la

Been a great player for us, but how much do we think he'll actually be playing when be is 37!?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It doesn’t make sense from Sols point of view. Rip up a 1 year contract for 20k a week to sign 2 years at 15k a week is basically signing the 2nd year for a 50% pay cut. I don’t see him doing that. I can only see the logic in taking a 25% pay cut for 1 year if he’s guaranteed wages for at least another 3, maybe 4 years and then the % he’s losing gets smaller.

Doesn’t make sense from the clubs point of view either IMO. I wouldn’t have offered him any extension until he’s back from injury and got a few games under his belt.

Pushing 35 with a cruciate injury that younger players have struggled to come back from so he’s hardly going to be in demand at the moment. Why the rush to extend the deal?

It doesn’t make sense from Sols point of view. Rip up a 1 year contract for 20k a week to sign 2 years at 15k a week is basically signing the 2nd year for a 50% pay cut. I don’t see him doing that. I can only see the logic in taking a 25% pay cut for 1 year if he’s guaranteed wages for at least another 3, maybe 4 years and then the % he’s losing gets smaller.

Doesn’t make sense from the clubs point of view either IMO. I wouldn’t have offered him any extension until he’s back from injury and got a few games under his belt.

Pushing 35 with a cruciate injury that younger players have struggled to come back from so he’s hardly going to be in demand at the moment. Why the rush to extend the deal?
    All this is hypothetical as we don't know what the terms are.

In scenarios you've given there, the new contract could take effect after the cessation of the current which would guarantee him three more years of football, assuming that the new contract will be for two years. He'd be quids in.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    All this is hypothetical as we don't know what the terms are.

In scenarios you've given there, the new contract could take effect after the cessation of the current which would guarantee him three more years of football, assuming that the new contract will be for two years. He'd be quids in.
    Well, thats a different scenario.

I am explaining why I think the scenario put forward by Pedro doesn’t make any sense if that’s ok with you Bill?

As for your scenario that would be absolute madness from the club. He’s nearly 35, has a serious injury, and we’re going to give him 2 more years on top of the year he already has left to run??? Bonkers.

seems a bit odd to me when a player of that age is recovering from a serious injury to be offered that type of contract wish him all the best of course

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    seems a bit odd to me when a player of that age is recovering from a serious injury to be offered that type of contract wish him all the best of course
    I think agents see Cardiff City as an easy touch. The Bacuna deal is another crazy one.

don't get me started on the Bacuna contract . if it's true he's on a 5 year contract then some serious questions need to be asked . it's OK to blame agents but at the end of the day that contract needs to be signed by the club .

Lining him up for management? Although I think he's got a future on the TV. He always comes across very professional and informative

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Lining him up for management? Although I think he's got a future on the TV. He always comes across very professional and informative
    He’s had a few appearances on Sky so that’s not a bad shout