+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assombalonga

Re: Assombalonga

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I don’t read too much into this as so many of his appearances have been from the bench.

His goals per minute as mentioned above is comparable with Assombalonga and he has a better assist ratio.

He’s ( Zohore) an excellent player, just not often enough.
    Or is he just an average player who has brief spells of being above average ?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Or is he just an average player who has brief spells of being above average ?
    He is a lot better than just "above average" when playing to his full ability - he's a very frustrating player, but I don't think we've played to his strengths for getting on for two years now.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He is a lot better than just "above average" when playing to his full ability - he's a very frustrating player, but I don't think we've played to his strengths for getting on for two years now.
    He’s not rhe big battering ram upfront that people want him to be and Warnock would like him to be.

He’s got decent feet for a big lad and getting him down the channel would be playing to his strengths not whacking the ball up to him head height.

It’s why Patterson looks more productive in a Warnock side as chasing lost causes and challenging for long balls in the air is up his street. Patterson would look awful upfront for a side who play football.

I think Ken would benefit from a Bobby Reid playing closer to him and maybe we will be able to afford more of that now we’re back in the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He’s not a big battering ram upfront that people want him to be.

He’s got decent feet for a big lad and getting him down the channel would be playing to his strengths not whacking this ball up to him head height.

It’s why Patterson looks more productive in a Warnock side as chasing lost causes and challenging for long balls in the air is up guys street. Patterson would look awful upfront for a side who play football.

I think Ken would benefit from a Bobby Reid playing closer to him and maybe we will be able to afford more of that now we’re back in the championship.
    Spot on Ken could be a great player:

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He signed for Boro two years ago for the same amount and has since scored 30 goals. I think it's a good deal.
    It's the same fee as Sala, isn't it? That's a player we thought could really compete at a higher level so if we feel that about Assombalonga it's a good fee but if we have doubts then it's too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    0.52 goals per 90 at this level is good

Zohore is at about 0.4 though even including his lean spells, and contributes a lot more assists.
    No he's not. Nowhere near.

Excluding last season's stats in the Premier League, he's made 80 appearances in Championship and cup, scoring 23 goals. That's an average 0.29 goals per game. He averages 1 assist in every 8 Championship games.

Assombalonga has indeed contributed less assists, but it's hardly as if Zohore is contributing heavily on that score, either.

He’s not rhe big battering ram upfront that people want him to be and Warnock would like him to be.

He’s got decent feet for a big lad and getting him down the channel would be playing to his strengths not whacking the ball up to him head height.

It’s why Patterson looks more productive in a Warnock side as chasing lost causes and challenging for long balls in the air is up his street. Patterson would look awful upfront for a side who play football.

Or playing alongside a big striker like at the 2nd half at Ipswich away when Madine came on and took the role of target man after Zohore had been dominated

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Excluding last season's stats in the Premier League, he's made 80 appearances in Championship and cup, scoring 23 goals. That's an average 0.29 goals per game. He averages 1 assist in every 8 Championship games.

Assombalonga has indeed contributed less assists, but it's hardly as if Zohore is contributing heavily on that score, either.
    Someone else falling into the ‘appearances’ trap

Someone else falling into the ‘appearances’ trap
    To be fair other than about 3 months of a 3 year contract Zohore hasn't turned up, whoever turned down the alleged 17 million bid should be publicly birched.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    To be fair other than about 3 months of a 3 year contract Zohore hasn't turned up, whoever turned down the alleged 17 million bid should be publicly birched.
    difficult to disagree with this.

At the time I don't believe there were any City fans who wanted to sell him.

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post

Too true - I can remember the story about a bid from Brighton breaking just before we beat Wolves 2-1 away and there was celebration on here when it emerged Zohore would be staying.

Another case of 20/20 hindsight vision by City fans .

Agreed and I’ve seen this so many times before when there’s been rumours of a big offer for a player an outcry, then the player fades and same people who say we shouldn’t sell then with the benefit of hindsight moan that we should have sold.

Not sure about the accuracy of that, but then despite being garbage for his first season and injured most of the last one he’s still scored a decent number of goals. On the rare occasion he came on last season he looked a threat. Single handed lay turned the game at St Mary’s..He’s got it all, but the biggest question is has he got the heart for it. Its been written that he is quiet and nervous , let’s not forget he wasn’t much more than a kid when he got here. He’s now mid 20s and has another chance to show what he can do.

Great if we can get Britt - although I doubt we will spend £15m on one player unless the Sala dispute has been sorted, so a lot still hangs on Zohore coming good and I’ve seen enough to think he can.

Agreed and I’ve seen this so many times before when there’s been rumours of a big offer for a player an outcry, then the player fades and same people who say we shouldn’t sell then with the benefit of hindsight moan that we should have sold.
    Cmon Tim that’s every football fans right to be hypocritical

Genuine question - was our style of football fundamentally different when Zohore had his sweet run of form under Warnock?

I’m not much of a tactician but have seen it stated that our style of play just doesn’t suit him. However at the time, as I recall, it was frequently suggested that Warnock had actually rescued his career from the wilderness.

Cmon Tim that’s every football fans right to be hypocritical
    I know 😂... I probably do it too.. but no harm in pointing it out 🙂

Correct! If we had sold him, it would have sent the wrong message to fans. The 'No ambition'/'Tan out' brigade would have been in full swing. Not selling at that time was the correct decision.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Per 90, not per appearance

Totally agree with you.

Means our midfield needs legs mind.

I can’t see us signing another striker until we move a few out. We currently have Zohore, Ward, Madine, Bogle and Healey. We’ll only play one up front and the most likely isn’t even on that list ( Paterson). I’m sure we would like to move Madine Bogle and Healey out but it’s not always that easy . Think we’ll start the season with Zohore or Ward upfront

Don't see a lot in Ward. Looks slow and disinterested to me. Bit like Kenneth but slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Don't see a lot in Ward. Looks slow and disinterested to me. Bit like Kenneth but slower.
    I thought he tried. He attempted a few decent things. Obviously off the pace and probably won't get many opportunities this season.

First Team

I thought we were better against SAFC when Ward came on. At least he tried, I don't think Ken jumped for a single header and his body language was that of a disinterested loner.

I also think it sent the right message that we were serious about promotion. In the end, whether it was the right call or not doesn't really matter as we got promoted. Ken started that season like a house on fire too, he was unplayable at times.