+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connolly , Healey, Smithies, Murphy

Connolly , Healey, Smithies, Murphy

I wonder what is going on with these three players. All three not travelled to America, Smithies ends up playing with the youth / under 23 team at Larkhall last night. We paid £3.5m for him and now prefer Joe Day! I know Day will be back up but he's League 1 at best. Surely Smithies must be on his way or has fallen out of favour with Warnock for whatever reason.

No Healey or Connolly in either squad. Connolly was Player off the Season a few years ago and where is he now. Maybe he is injured? Whatever has happened we've heard nothing from the club. Same goes for Healey, good enough for a Premier League squad last year but nowhere to be seen at the moment. Perhaps both are in talks to move elsewhere?

And Brian Murphy? Last I heard we were negotiating a new contract with him. Then we sign Joe Day and play Smithies in the youth team! Not a word from the club on Murphy either., I know he's only a back up 'keeper but he must have left I assume? And if Smithies goes we'll need another 'keeper too.

It's all gone quiet on these players.

Re: Connolly , Healey, Smithies, Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I wonder what is going on with these THREEplayers. All three not travelled to America, Smithies ends up playing with the youth / under 23 team at Larkhall last night. We paid £3.5m for him and now prefer Joe Day! I know Day will be back up but he's League 1 at best. Surely Smithies must be on his way or has fallen out of favour with Warnock for whatever reason.

No Healey or Connolly in either squad. Connolly was Player off the Season a few years ago and where is he now. Maybe he is injured? Whatever has happened we've heard nothing from the club. Same goes for Healey, good enough for a Premier League squad last year but nowhere to be seen at the moment. Perhaps both are in talks to move elsewhere?

And Brian Murphy? Last I heard we were negotiating a new contract with him. Then we sign Joe Day and play Smithies in the youth team! Not a word from the club on Murphy either., I know he's only a back up 'keeper but he must have left I assume? And if Smithies goes we'll need another 'keeper too.

I take it you missed the maths class

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I take it you missed the maths class
    Yes I added in Murphy later as I forgot about him. A bit like the club have.

Rhys Healey should be nowhere near our squad this season. He wasn't good enough for us in the Championship last time around, and has shown zero signs of improvement. He's not really that young either, he's 25 this December! Get rid asap, he continues to be a complete waste of wages. He would be a good addition for a league one team.

Yes I added in Murphy later as I forgot about him. A bit like the club have.
    I got what you meant ,Smithies is a strange one , I just feel Healey is not the real deal ,Ward is a better choice ,probably see an incoming striker whcih squeezes someone out ,think we have seen the best of Connolly ,who is probably still on a good contract and we could do with his wage in the back pocket .

CardiffCitySince1927

I wonder what is going on with these three players. All three not travelled to America, Smithies ends up playing with the youth / under 23 team at Larkhall last night. We paid £3.5m for him and now prefer Joe Day! I know Day will be back up but he's League 1 at best. Surely Smithies must be on his way or has fallen out of favour with Warnock for whatever reason.

Ok. So this is obviously from someone who doesn’t follow the club thoroughly enough to actually know these answers.

Connolly was player of the season a couple years ago however, he has been called something like twinkles toes or glass ankles by Warnock as a result of the numerous ankle injuries resulting in his inability to consistently play - he will play one match and get injured etc. Warnock knows his experiance so as a result probably keeps him as a dressing room player. He also is happy (as a result of these injuries) to not pkay week in week out.

Smithies picked up an injury towards the end of last season which resulted in him not being on the bench towards the end of last season (meaning Brian Murphy had to be on the bench). No word from the club has come of this which makes me suspect this is a long term injury or he’s being moved on, not being the quality Warnock expects of a goalkeeper (there was a Birmingham rumour recently)

I’d expect the latter reasoning is probably the reasoning behind Healey’s disappearance as he hasn’t lived up to any expectation and knocking on a bit.

The most embarrassing one you missed was that Brian Murphy was released by the club. He was “having discussions with the club” but having not heard anything from it from about 6 weeks ago - I presumed it ended without a result.

Do you really believe that any of these four players is better than any of the other players in their position in the rest of the squad ?. Connolly hasnt played more than a couple of games in the last two years and is nearly 32 now. Neither has Healey or Murphy (who is 36 by the way). There might be a discussion about Smithies but he's not going to push Etheridge out currently is he and he isn't going to want to stay warming the bench much longer, so is probably asking to leave. You appear indignant that none of them are regular starters but they are just part of the normal 'wastage' that occurs in every squad at this time of year. None of them is good enough to get a regular starting place this coming season.

CardiffCitySince1927

Sorry bit annoyed. Ignore the first comment I made

I see the Dai Sport write up on last night's U23 game says that Murphy has left the club

"Alex Smithies started in goal and it looks likely he will be third choice ‘keeper next season. Brian Murphy is out of contract and has left Cardiff, while Neil Etheridge and new signing Joe Day are with the first team in the USA."

If we can move Smithies on; dont be shocked to see Murphy come back still.

Connolly is injured (again).

Healey was carrying a knock too; though imagine he will be nowhere near first team so presumably wouldnt have travelled anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    it was a bit bitchy

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post

Healey was carrying a knock too; though imagine he will be nowhere near first team so presumably wouldnt have travelled anyway.
    How does Connolly keep getting injured?

Is it through overzealous tweeting about obscure American sports?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    it was a bit bitchy
    Gosh yes helluva of bite , poor cardiff55 he was just showing some interest , just hadn't checked every detailed moment of the last two months , to be fair I didnt realised Murphy was released , so did a few others, as his name was cropping up when we signed Joe Day .

No excuse though , cardiff55 should be birched at dawn and made to watch the jacks for a full season

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post

Why? When on earth is anyone at Cardiff City going to show some faith in a youngster by including them in the first team squad?

When Neil Warnock spoke in February attempting to justify his decision to give Healey a new contract in October 2017 he said Healey is “an up-and-coming lad who I think has got a big future in the game”. The big future for Healey, who will be 25 this year, is presumably yet another loan spell at a lower league club.

If I see Rhys Healy play for us in a competitive match again I’ll support Swansea. No idea why he’s ever been rated

CardiffCitySince1927

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    it was a bit bitchy
    What I do best

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    That's Ok. My point was that there is no news on them. Maybe they are in discussions with other clubs, maybe not, but if they are fit then surely they should get a game to put them in the shop window. Personally I'd unload all of them but contracts are contracts.

CardiffCitySince1927

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    No excuse though , cardiff55 should be birched at dawn and made to watch the jacks for a full season
    That’s a harsh sentence - the disappointment of another Cardiff year will be bad enough

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Gosh yes helluva of bite , poor cardiff55 he was just showing some interest , just hadn't checked every detailed moment of the last two months , to be fair I didnt realised Murphy was released , so did a few others, as his name was cropping up when we signed Joe Day .

I don't think City commented about players who were released at the end of their contracts, just announce a retained list. SO we had to assume what was happening, but Connolly and Healey are still under contract. MAybe they should just put them on the transfer list if clubs still do that these days.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Do you really believe that any of these four players is better than any of the other players in their position in the rest of the squad ?. Connolly hasnt played more than a couple of games in the last two years and is nearly 32 now. Neither has Healey or Murphy (who is 36 by the way). There might be a discussion about Smithies but he's not going to push Etheridge out currently is he and he isn't going to want to stay warming the bench much longer, so is probably asking to leave. You appear indignant that none of them are regular starters but they are just part of the normal 'wastage' that occurs in every squad at this time of year. None of them is good enough to get a regular starting place this coming season.
    I'm not indignant at all, just wondering where they are as there is no news from the club, no explanation why they are not in the tour squad or playing for the youth/ under 23 teams, or injured . Nothing at all. It would appear Connolly and Healey are now unwanted by Warnock but we will struggle to unload them, although Connolly's potential loan move last year was stopped by Cardiff. I knew Murphy was out of contract but no confirmation he'd left, as the last statement from the club was that they were 'in discussions' with him. SMithies was a waste of money. I don't see how you can say I am indignant about them not being regular starters but that is wrong, however it would be useful to get an idea if they'll be leaving as Warnock stated last week that players would have to leave before we made new signings. But then that could be just press fodder.

CardiffCitySince1927

That's Ok. My point was that there is no news on them. Maybe they are in discussions with other clubs, maybe not, but if they are fit then surely they should get a game to put them in the shop window. Personally I'd unload all of them but contracts are contracts.
    Same here... Healey hasn’t lived upto expectations nor potential and is knocking on as a decent league two goalscorer.

I hope we get rid of a few of them... like Jazz Richards or something

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Why? When on earth is anyone at Cardiff City going to show some faith in a youngster by including them in the first team squad?
    What's the point of having a youngster as third choice keeper? Surely it's better they went out and played?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    If I see Rhys Healy play for us in a competitive match again I’ll support Swansea. No idea why he’s ever been rated
    That substitution away at Fulham, bringing him on before Bobbby Reid and instead of Harris full stop, was without a doubt the worst substitution I have ever seen from a Cardiff City manager. Miles, miles worse than DJ choosing to bring Etuhu on in the play off final. **** me, I still cannot believe Warnock brought him on to try and save our season

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    That substitution away at Fulham, bringing him on before Bobbby Reid and instead of Harris full stop, was without a doubt the worst substitution I have ever seen from a Cardiff City manager. Miles, miles worse than DJ choosing to bring Etuhu on in the play off final. **** me, I still cannot believe Warnock brought him on to try and save our season
    That was an utterly bizarre decision by Warnock