+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cricket World cup

Re: Cricket World cup

Superb sport, drama and entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    This is a home World Cup and I have no idea why they would prepare this sort of wicket. Bowling is definitely NZ s strength.
    My understanding is that theICC were in charge of pitch preparation for the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    God knows, I feel so sorry for New Zealand, the first six in the final over was a few inches away from being a catch, then the second one came when they ran two and the throw in hit Stokes' bat and ran to the boundary for four. I also don't get why when both sides get fifteen from the super over, the team batting second loses.
    England won because if its a tie it goes to who hit the most boundaries during the match.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My understanding is that theICC were in charge of pitch preparation for the competition.
    That would explain it.

That was so cruel on New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Is it fair to suggest this is something of a cock-up? A free-to-air final to show everyone the swashbuckling batting of England and they prepare a seamer's pitch. Or just NZ playing really well and one of those things?
    I had in mind that aside from not playing to England's strengths this was more an intriguing game for the purists rather than a slog-fest to bring in a new audience. But then it went nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Pity it wasnt Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    England won because if its a tie it goes to who hit the most boundaries during the match.
    So it’s like winning the World Cup in footy based on the fact a team has won more corners....what a sh1tty way to lose.

Been glued to it since 10:45 utterly brilliant

My kids had no interest in cricket until this world cup - they are now converts and want to go to a T20 at Glammy

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Yeah very harsh on them. Players very gracious in defeat too.

Four years of preparation paid off then. Think England used up an Ashe's worth of luck today.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Four years of preparation paid off then. Think England used up an Ashe's worth of luck today.
    Arthur?

Brilliant, brilliant drama. Even if you don't get cricket, you have to appreciate the theatre of what just happened, luck and all. And the mental strength to see that through is astonishing.

Amazing stuff. That is up there as one of the greatest finals I have ever seen in any sport.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Been glued to it since 10:45 utterly brilliant

My kids had no interest in cricket until this world cup - they are now converts and want to go to a T20 at Glammy
    Same with my wife. We've been lucky to attend some great matches during the group phase and she set up a picnic today so we could watch the match (on TV) in style. Superb game. one of the greatest finales to a televised sporting events ever.

England had that much luck I thought it was Arsenal.

First Team

Drama, bit of controversy and outstanding entertainment.

Congratulations to both teams for providing such a thrilling and hard fought final.

I know I should feel elated but it’s more a feeling of relief and that every get out of jail free ( no pun regarding Stokes intended) card has been played.

More importantly the match entices people back into this grand old game as it is dying on its feet in many places. Maya be the decision to make it free to air and the nature of the result will kindle some more interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    More importantly the match entices people back into this grand old game as it is dying on its feet in many places. Maya be the decision to make it free to air and the nature of the result will kindle some more interest.
    I didn't actually realise it was free to air and listened to 90% of it on the radio. It was only when the commentary team mentioned it was on terrestrial telly that I turned it on and saw the last 5 overs after a brief fight with the wife who was watching the Wimbledon final (another great one it would seem). I'd have got nothing done at all today if I had realised sooner that I could watch it!

Turned on the telly at 9 this morning. 12 hours later still watching it. What a fantastic final. I feel so sorry for the Kiwis but so pleased for Ben Stokes and the whole England team. And to have it available for all to watch must whet the appetite for the Ashes series.

If I was a youngster, then I'd be outside already trying to be Ben Stokes ( I,m left handed ,if not Tonight I'd be Jos Buttler).

Congratulations England

Astonishing sports final, perhaps one of the best.

NZ didn't deserve to lose as they defended a low score.
    England did so well, against the odds to stay in the game.

They did the sporting thing and didn't run the the over throws that hit the bat , but the umpire gave the 6 anyway.

The game gets tied.

England hit a decent amount in the super over .
    NZ lose by a yard in distance.

Astonishing.
    Well done Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Astonishing sports final, perhaps one of the best.

NZ didn't deserve to lose as they defended a low score.
    England did so well, against the odds to stay in the game.

They did the sporting thing and didn't run the the over throws that hit the bat , but the umpire gave the 6 anyway.

The game gets tied.

England hit a decent amount in the super over .
    NZ lose by a yard in distance.

Astonishing.
    Well done Stokes
    Unbelievable day of sport, Lewis Hamilton wins again at Silverstone has been relegated to a side show.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Tone View Post
    So it’s like winning the World Cup in footy based on the fact a team has won more corners....what a sh1tty way to lose.
    A ridiculous rule, just play another over

I don't agree with your wording of it but I do find it baffling that Welsh people are going along with this. I commented in a cricket thread that a west-country cricket pundit had questioned whether West-Country cricket fans would support a team called Wales/Glamorgan in the 100 ball tournament if it wasn't going to publicise that it actually represented the West-Country too, and that I couldn't see any reason that Welsh cricketer's aren't doing so on a national level. We even had one poster on here wanting to get rid of national anthems before the game (something which is part of Welsh history) so they could feel more comfortable supporting a side that almost totally refuses to mention they represent Wales?!?!

#weareengland trending again today shows you all you need to know. If you want to support the team then at least start vocalising the need for greater representation of the W part of the ECWB. Wales deserves that at least.

(posting in this thread too because I suspect they other will be deleted by morning).

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Unbelievable day of sport, Lewis Hamilton wins again at Silverstone has been relegated to a side show.
    Driving a car is not sport.

It’s as interesting as knitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    Driving a car is not sport.

It’s as interesting as knitting.
    Yet cricket is a sport but you stop half way through for a curry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Turned on the telly at 9 this morning. 12 hours later still watching it. What a fantastic final. I feel so sorry for the Kiwis but so pleased for Ben Stokes and the whole England team. And to have it available for all to watch must whet the appetite for the Ashes series.

If I was a youngster, then I'd be outside already trying to be Ben Stokes ( I,m left handed ,if not Tonight I'd be Jos Buttler).

Congratulations England
    More like WG Grace