Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cricket World cup

Re: Cricket World cup

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    They'd have played tip and run with Stokes needing 2 to draw off the last. Who's to say what would have happened?

If you go through their innings, I'm sure you can find a no ball that NZ bowled that didn't get called, a wide that was harshly given or not given. These things happen.
    Or Boult could have clean bowled him leaving Stokes stranded at the wrong end for the final ball. We will never know but the Umpires messed up and the Kiwis to their eternal credit didn’t complain.It was a fantastic game with great sportsmanship from both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Or Boult could have clean bowled him leaving Stokes stranded at the wrong end for the final ball. We will never know but the Umpires messed up and the Kiwis to their eternal credit didnít complain.It was a fantastic game with great sportsmanship from both sides.
    We won't. Who's to say what could have happened? Chris Gayle got caught the ball after a massive no ball vs Australia in the world cup. It should have been a free hit, and he could have got them to victory. Umpires rarely calling front foot no balls is a bigger issue in fairness. The Kiwis have taken it well, the Australian and Indian media, not so much. Wonder why that is?

I don't think they did mess up. The run didn't come from the throw, it came from the act of hitting Stokes. The rule states the run counts if the the batsmen had crossed at the time of the throw or act. That's my take on it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Stokes wouldn't have been on strike if it was 5.
    I think he would have been on strike because the umpire would have signalled 1 short. You cant alter the fact that the ball reached the boundary, or the fact that they ran 2, so in order to award 5 runs hed have to signal 1 short and leave the batsmen where they are.

Haven't read this entire thread but just wanted to say, same as a lot of you I have a passing interest in a lot of sports - cricket is nowhere near my favourite and up until yesterday I did no more than keep an eye on the scores from this world cup, but that was the most dramatic, incredible end to a sporting event I've ever seen.

I genuinely still can't stop thinking about it today. Stokes having the entire world cup on his shoulders, dragging them through, that catch that turned into a six, the 2 that turned into a six, that super over. The pressure on Stokes whilst they were dropping like around him. Absolutely unreal. Sport is utterly amazing and I feel for people who don't experience the highs and dramas of it. And I say that as someone who didn't really care if England won or not

Not a massive Cricket fan, 5 day test matches bore the hell out of me, though saying that the shorter games are good ( in whatever form they take )

I often Watch my younger daughter play, she plays for the girls county team and its a decent standard

This World cup has been great to follow, of course the final few overs was great, I am up In Liverpool for the Netball World Cup and caught the last few overs in the bar of Jury Inn which is directly opposite the M&S arena where the Netball is being played, of course to improve the experience the hotel is full of Australians and Kiwi's ( inc both the netball teams ) the Bar was a great place, the Australians and Kiwi's cheering on NZ ( anything to beat the POMS ) when We won, it was good to give it back to them

Now got to beat them in the Netball aswell

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Not a massive Cricket fan, 5 day test matches bore the hell out of me, though saying that the shorter games are good ( in whatever form they take )

I often Watch my younger daughter play, she plays for the girls county team and its a decent standard

This World cup has been great to follow, of course the final few overs was great, I am up In Liverpool for the Netball World Cup and caught the last few overs in the bar of Jury Inn which is directly opposite the M&S arena where the Netball is being played, of course to improve the experience the hotel is full of Australians and Kiwi's ( inc both the netball teams ) the Bar was a great place, the Australians and Kiwi's cheering on NZ ( anything to beat the POMS ) when We won, it was good to give it back to them

Now got to beat them in the Netball aswell
    2 of my daughters played for Wales ... one at Hockey, the other Netball. It was fun watching them excel at these minority sports but as a family we all got more out of their brother playing county football.