+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: England win the world cup

Re: England win the world cup

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    At last.someone with an ounce of sence. Thank you for a proper reply surge 😎👍

...sence

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Romantically it would be nice to have a Welsh cricket team .

The reality of playing and being beaten a lot and not able to fund our national team would not be attractive .

Anyway I enjoy watching and supporting the English and Welsh cricket team and have done for many years, may it long continue .

So enjoyed today .
    Exactly.
    I'm not going to stop supporting the national team that I have done for the last 50 years just because the name doesnt suit me.
    Kids need heroes and this week, when they turn up to their clubs to practise and play a game, they'll aspire to play like their heroes like Stokes, Root and Archer. They'll also aspire to further their career and play at the highest level, and as things stand that is, for Welsh kids is to play for the team under the England banner. If they're told that the highest level they can aspire to is the worst ranked minor county, then they'll move to England and qualify via residency, which will kill any ideas of Wales having a decent cricket team on the international stage.
    I dont see any of the smaller Caribbean islands calling for them to be a separate cricketing nation, just because they dont feel that the West Indies team represents them.

Every other UK country? You mean Scotland?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    There you have it. 99% of the people complaining about the name of the cricket team aren't cricket fans at all.
    Bingo. As someone that played club cricket for years in South Wales from Pembrokeshire to Chepstow, this has never been an issue at cricket clubs. I played a final at Aberdare during the last day at Trent Bridge in 2005 and everyone, everyone, went mental went Giles scored the winning runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I'm not sure its just a romantic pipe dream. I bet Glamorgan CC are happy with the current set up, I guess they get funds from the ECB??? If Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands etc can run a team I'm sure Wales can. Without checking I bet we have more cricket clubs than any of those nations.

I'd rather support a team representing my country and lose regularly (like the national football team) than a team which represents England.
    How are you going to fund that team? What are Glamorgan going to do? Cricket Wales gets millions from the ECB, and Glamorgan is a pathway for our best players. I'm pretty sure if Wales were to start, their funding would go to about 30k. Add to this, the world cup is now a closed shop for the time being. Wales (and Ireland) will never, ever, get near.

Also, all of those nations have their best players go to play for other sides, are rarely on TV and get hardly anyone at games. Look at Morgan, Rankin, Joyce, Hamilton, Brown etc. I think there's a very strong chance an independent welsh team would be extremely detrimental to cricket in Wales. Cricket, like rugby, has one of the least level playing fields. Outside of the top 6 or so teams, because of the money on offer you can get to play for England, it is an absolute no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I'm not sure its just a romantic pipe dream. I bet Glamorgan CC are happy with the current set up, I guess they get funds from the ECB??? If Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands etc can run a team I'm sure Wales can. Without checking I bet we have more cricket clubs than any of those nations.

I'd rather support a team representing my country and lose regularly (like the national football team) than a team which represents England.
    I rather stay with what I have and enjoy, along with many Welsh cricket fans, who support and watch cricket, thankfully its not a sport that suffer from the anti English brigade, who cheer other countries when England play in Rugby or Football , ironically the footy England team garners favourable attachment from the same fans who flock , sofa support and watch the English Premiership clubs .