+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: England win the world cup

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: England win the world cup

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Romantically it would be nice to have a Welsh cricket team .

The reality of playing and being beaten a lot and not able to fund our national team would not be attractive .

Anyway I enjoy watching and supporting the English and Welsh cricket team and have done for many years, may it long continue .

So enjoyed today .
    I'm not sure its just a romantic pipe dream. I bet Glamorgan CC are happy with the current set up, I guess they get funds from the ECB??? If Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands etc can run a team I'm sure Wales can. Without checking I bet we have more cricket clubs than any of those nations.

I'd rather support a team representing my country and lose regularly (like the national football team) than a team which represents England.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I'm not sure its just a romantic pipe dream. I bet Glamorgan CC are happy with the current set up, I guess they get funds from the ECB??? If Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands etc can run a team I'm sure Wales can. Without checking I bet we have more cricket clubs than any of those nations.

I'd rather support a team representing my country and lose regularly (like the national football team) than a team which represents England.
    How are you going to fund that team? What are Glamorgan going to do? Cricket Wales gets millions from the ECB, and Glamorgan is a pathway for our best players. I'm pretty sure if Wales were to start, their funding would go to about 30k. Add to this, the world cup is now a closed shop for the time being. Wales (and Ireland) will never, ever, get near.

Also, all of those nations have their best players go to play for other sides, are rarely on TV and get hardly anyone at games. Look at Morgan, Rankin, Joyce, Hamilton, Brown etc. I think there's a very strong chance an independent welsh team would be extremely detrimental to cricket in Wales. Cricket, like rugby, has one of the least level playing fields. Outside of the top 6 or so teams, because of the money on offer you can get to play for England, it is an absolute no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

I rather stay with what I have and enjoy, along with many Welsh cricket fans, who support and watch cricket, thankfully its not a sport that suffer from the anti English brigade, who cheer other countries when England play in Rugby or Football , ironically the footy England team garners favourable attachment from the same fans who flock , sofa support and watch the English Premiership clubs .