+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Expectations

Re: Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Bookies often get this division quite wrong, so I'll stick with bizarre. I'm sure it will be a lot tougher than 2 years ago.
    I know they do. But I think there is still a basis for people to think we’ll do well that can hardly be described as strange. Anyway, I think we’re agreeing it will be tougher this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I know they do. But I think there is still a basis for people to think we’ll do well that can hardly be described as strange. Anyway, I think we’re agreeing it will be tougher this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    They have us joint third behind Fulham and Leeds.
    Don't write off WBA

Since 2001 they have not finished outside the top six of the Championship, either automaticaly promoted, in the play offs or in the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Don't write off WBA

Since 2001 they have not finished outside the top six of the Championship, either automaticaly promoted, in the play offs or in the Premier League.
    STAT!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Don't write off WBA

That's who were joint third with.

Where are Fulham in the odds? I think with a striker like Mitrovic they are always going to be there or there abouts in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Bookies often get this division quite wrong, so I'll stick with bizarre. I'm sure it will be a lot tougher than 2 years ago.
    People always say this though, it's either the weakest division in a while, or the strongest (as it appears now). Personally, it's always a crazy division but the quality is about the same. It's going to be really tough but we've got a side we know can get promoted. That's not saying they will but with smart additions we should be in a position to challenge and I think that's the expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Yes it is.
    In short I suggested that we must have an intent rather than some vague and general hope of scraping in.
    Well you quite rightly implied that it might not quite turn out like that and I agreed with you that an intent isn't the same as a guarantee, but my point remains that we must be grimly determined to come first.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    My expectation therefore is that we can and must win this league outright and anything less is unacceptable.
    That reads as saying finishing in 2nd place is unacceptable, which is why I got a few cheap laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Where are Fulham in the odds? I think with a striker like Mitrovic they are always going to be there or there abouts in this league.
    2nd favourites behind Leeds, who are selling a lot of key players. Something isn't right at Elland Road if you ask me! Cue massive promotion push and a 100+ points tally. Although, I did call they'd burn out last season and I think a similar story will happen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    2nd favourites behind Leeds, who are selling a lot of key players. Something isn't right at Elland Road if you ask me! Cue massive promotion push and a 100+ points tally. Although, I did call they'd burn out last season and I think a similar story will happen this year.
    https://www.football365.com/news/lee...ely-by-default

This is a very good article on it, only bit I didn't like was

while Cardiff City will surely not overachieve so emphatically again

while Cardiff City will surely not overachieve so emphatically again
    Lazy comment though, we didn't overachieve as much as the journalists or Warnock says. Obviously we did a bit but that summer, most people thought we'd finish in or around the top 6. I'm pretty sure in Warnock's first season, after Jan 1st we had something like 2 points less than Newcastle and would have finished 6th.

I think when you look at wage bill and transfer fees paid we definitely over achieved. That isn't the perfect way of looking at it but before the season we went up people would have been happy with playoffs.

Top 6

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think when you look at wage bill and transfer fees paid we definitely over achieved. That isn't the perfect way of looking at it but before the season we went up people would have been happy with playoffs.
    I think our wage bill was a lot, lot higher than people would like to believe. That's my point though, it isn't a massive over achievement. We went up but I think most people expected top 6. Journalists seem to think we should have finished 15th, some were even tipping us for relegation before the season started which was frankly laughable.