+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: England Cricket Team...time to go back home?

England Cricket Team...time to go back home?

I'm trying to work out whether your misbegotten brand of fatuous nationalism about a team composed of several players born overseas & captained by an Irishman is a) calculatedly stupid b) accidentally stupid c) a peculiar joke d) the result of a malevolent hack....Stephen Fry

England’s cricket team: An Irish born captain, a New Zealand born hero, two proud British born Muslims, players from West Indian and South African and Pakistani backgrounds. Diversity is what makes a brilliant team

What would Trump say?

😉 Yes I know. Our Welsh Rugby team has had its fair share of Jonny Foriegners as has our Welsh Football Team

Re: England Cricket Team...time to go back home?

Was that in response to Jacob Rees moggs bizarre comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It was yes

It just proves that people who hold beliefs towards nationalism and tribalism are idiots.

My favourite analogy is that had my mother given birth to me in another country, but had brought me up in the same place in Wales from a baby, would I be a different person? Of course not. I wouldn't technically be Welsh, but what difference would that make? Nationality, while I have no problem with having a sense of pride in being Welsh, I would never consider Welsh people better than others. Every country has people who think their country is better than any other. Either only one country is right, or they're all wrong.

And the world champions 2019 are England. No mention of Wales. Ireland and Scotland have their own teams. Think Wales should go it's own way too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    As a long time Clive Tyldesley critic, I have to say he's spot on in this piece;-

https://www.football365.com/news/cli...a-football-yob

Leaving the politics of what he says to one side, Rees-Mogg's tweet is timed as 7.42 on Sunday evening, so his only Twitter response within a half hour of the game, which he was at, finishing was to relate it to Brexit - all the proof you need that he does not appreciate, or get, the essence of great sport.

[QUOTE=the other bob wilson;4987135]As a long time Clive Tyldesley critic, I have to say he's spot on in this piece;-

Leaving the politics of what he says to one side, Rees-Mogg's tweet is timed as 7.42 on Sunday evening, so his only Twitter response within a half hour of the game, which he was at, finishing was to relate it to Brexit - all the proof you need that he does not appreciate, or get, the essence of great sport.[/QUjOTE]

I’ve always liked Clive for some reason. After reading this I like him more. What a superb article 👏👏

I agree with the main point in the article completely. I also agree with him when he says:

'As an Englishman, as a sports lover, there is a natural innate, organic attraction to a squad sporting a red cross or a trio of lions amid the rest of the branding on their kit'.

Which is why I cannot see the England cricket team as my own, even if I can appreciate the skill, guts and drama of their (maybe fortunate) win. Three lions, 'England' across the front, St George's cross, ECB (with a silent W).... whatever the history or the traditional backing from many Welsh cricket fans - they are ENGLAND and only represent Wales to the extent that they also represent South Africa, Ireland and other nations that have loaned them players, coaches or administrators.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As a long time Clive Tyldesley critic, I have to say he's spot on in this piece;-

Leaving the politics of what he says to one side, Rees-Mogg's tweet is timed as 7.42 on Sunday evening, so his only Twitter response within a half hour of the game, which he was at, finishing was to relate it to Brexit - all the proof you need that he does not appreciate, or get, the essence of great sport.
    Was just going to post this, great article by Clive in fairness, perfectly encapsulates stupid nationalists and arse hole football fans.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I agree with the main point in the article completely. I also agree with him when he says:

'As an Englishman, as a sports lover, there is a natural innate, organic attraction to a squad sporting a red cross or a trio of lions amid the rest of the branding on their kit'.

Which is why I cannot see the England cricket team as my own, even if I can appreciate the skill, guts and drama of their (maybe fortunate) win. Three lions, 'England' across the front, St George's cross, ECB (with a silent W).... whatever the history or the traditional backing from many Welsh cricket fans - they are ENGLAND and only represent Wales to the extent that they also represent South Africa, Ireland and other nations that have loaned them players, coaches or administrators.
    That is fine though, nobody has any right to tell you what team you have affinity for.

The ECB (and it is the ECB). Fund and run Cricket in Wales. It is the board responsible for it, as a Welsh Cricket Fan you can support Wales (in the minor counties) Glamorgan (the county team) or even your local club (Cardiff, St Fagans, Newport etc). If you feel little connection to the national team that represents the ECB, who really cares.

The qualification for the English Cricket Team is much tougher than what is needed to play for Wales in Football, and all the players playing are much more English Than Ashley Williams was Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Was just going to post this, great article by Clive in fairness, perfectly encapsulates stupid nationalists and arse hole football fans.
    If I was a nationalist I would be disgruntled to see some others being called the same.
    Often the so called nationalists are nothing more than bigots borne from ignorance, those who enjoy conflict for the sake of it whatever the reason or those that are too easily influenced.

I was surprised when I heard Rees Mogg,s comments but not disappointed as in my mind they portrayed him as he is.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    If I was a nationalist I would be disgruntled to see some others being called the same.
    Often the so called nationalists are nothing more than bigots borne from ignorance, those who enjoy conflict for the sake of it whatever the reason or those that are too easily influenced.

I was surprised when I heard Rees Mogg,s comments but not disappointed as in my mind they portrayed him as he is.
    Nationalist is supposed to be a negative term in fairness. There's nothing wrong with being patriotic, a nationalist is someone who is much more ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Really good article. Will see old Clive in a different light now.

I echo the above, Tyldesly is not a favourite of mine but an article that is excellent.

"Weird as it sounds, sport is the real world, politics is the pantomime."