Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
I agree with the main point in the article completely. I also agree with him when he says:

'As an Englishman, as a sports lover, there is a natural innate, organic attraction to a squad sporting a red cross or a trio of lions amid the rest of the branding on their kit'.

Which is why I cannot see the England cricket team as my own, even if I can appreciate the skill, guts and drama of their (maybe fortunate) win. Three lions, 'England' across the front, St George's cross, ECB (with a silent W).... whatever the history or the traditional backing from many Welsh cricket fans - they are ENGLAND and only represent Wales to the extent that they also represent South Africa, Ireland and other nations that have loaned them players, coaches or administrators.
That is fine though, nobody has any right to tell you what team you have affinity for.

The ECB (and it is the ECB). Fund and run Cricket in Wales. It is the board responsible for it, as a Welsh Cricket Fan you can support Wales (in the minor counties) Glamorgan (the county team) or even your local club (Cardiff, St Fagans, Newport etc). If you feel little connection to the national team that represents the ECB, who really cares.

The qualification for the English Cricket Team is much tougher than what is needed to play for Wales in Football, and all the players playing are much more English Than Ashley Williams was Welsh.