+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looks like Rhys Healey is on his way to MK Dons.

Re: Looks like Rhys Healey is on his way to MK Dons.

Sol Bamber wasn't injured till after the January window , but if I remember correctly Sean Morrison was out having surgery, so that's wrong. In fact we cancelled Matthew Conolly going to Hull at the last minute for that reason didn't we ?

Same thing exactly in fact. We held on to Conolly as an emergency option just as we did Rhys Healey.

You mention a number of other options but they either weren't working for us, or were needed to fulfill other roles. I think Sir Neil was half intending to play Sala or Niasse as the central target man with Bobby Reid in behind him. If that'd worked ,then I'd say that Rhys Healey was the second choice for the Bobby Reid role.

If you'd started shifting all these other players right out of position to play centre forward, well then obviously that part of the team would suffer and you'd lose the shape entirely .

I think Sir Neil was hoping that Rhys might be so thrilled at the unexpected opportunity that he'd draw out a superhuman effort - a thing that can happen in such circumstances, and despite what you've said there, his options as a competent coach were very limited at that time.

In any case, we know that for whatever reason ,and despite everyone's best efforts, it didn't work out for the club or the boy himself , which is a pity , but I don't see anything is gained by assassinating his reputation when he's leaving or pulling the managers decisions apart with the benefit of hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Sol Bamber wasn't injured till after the January window , but if I remember correctly Sean Morrison was out having surgery, so that's wrong. In fact we cancelled Matthew Conolly going to Hull at the last minute for that reason didn't we ?

Same thing exactly in fact. We held on to Conolly as an emergency option just as we did Rhys Healey.

You mention a number of other options but they either weren't working for us, or were needed to fulfill other roles. I think Sir Neil was half intending to play Sala or Niasse as the central target man with Bobby Reid in behind him. If that'd worked ,then I'd say that Rhys Healey was the second choice for the Bobby Reid role.

If you'd started shifting all these other players right out of position to play centre forward, well then obviously that part of the team would suffer and you'd lose the shape entirely .

I think Sir Neil was hoping that Rhys might be so thrilled at the unexpected opportunity that he'd draw out a superhuman effort - a thing that can happen in such circumstances, and despite what you've said there, his options as a competent coach were very limited at that time.

In any case, we know that for whatever reason ,and despite everyone's best efforts, it didn't work out for the club or the boy himself , which is a pity , but I don't see anything is gained by assassinating his reputation when he's leaving or pulling the managers decisions apart with the benefit of hindsight.
    Who’s Sol Bamber?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Selling him outright?

Really, really glad we brought him on vs Fulham if 2 games later he's going to League One. Good job we didn't have 10m Bobby Reid getting splinters in his arse. Honestly, I will never, ever understand that decision and it gets stranger by the day.
    I’m sure that every City fan agrees. That was just bizarre.

I have always liked Rhys as he gave it everything.

I hope that he does well at MK Dons and that we have inserted a massive sell on clause in his contract. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I wonder if that's because you clearly have no idea why people are being critical? For a start, we signed him in 2013 when he was 18, not 21. He was then given the new deal in 2017 (while he was out with the long-term injury that you mentioned) and then never looked like playing for us again after a few cameo roles off the bench (before going on loan to a non-league club for the remainder of the season).

He suddenly reappeared in City colours 12 months later and played a grand total of 48 minutes for us while we were in a relegation battle.

I'm not overly bothered by him having the new contract, but I can certainly see why some people are a bit dubious considering he was only involved in 6 games for us after he was given the contract - none of which were from the start and only once did he play for more than 20 mins.

It could easily be deemed as a poor bit of business.
    Whether we bought him in 2013 or 2017 is irrelevant. We bought him for his potential as a young player and paid very little for him. It hasnt worked out for him here for a number of reasons, including him suffering a serious injury when he was just showing some promise. The club has moved on and signed better players over the last five years and now he has been sold, probably at a profit, to make room for other players in the squad. This type of thing happens regularly across all the leagues. clubs gamble on young players - some come off and others dont. Hopefully he will refind form at MK Dons. I dont think that he is a bad player at all but just not up to the level that was originally hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Sol Bamber
    We held on to Conolly as an emergency option
    Sol Bamber
    Conolly Still better than Connelly, mind.
    Also, Connolly was so much of an emergency option, we didn't bother registering him in the 25. Some strange things were going on in January, perhaps understandably.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I wonder if that's because you clearly have no idea why people are being critical? For a start, we signed him in 2013 when he was 18, not 21. He was then given the new deal in 2017 (while he was out with the long-term injury that you mentioned) and then never looked like playing for us again after a few cameo roles off the bench (before going on loan to a non-league club for the remainder of the season).

He suddenly reappeared in City colours 12 months later and played a grand total of 48 minutes for us while we were in a relegation battle.

I'm not overly bothered by him having the new contract, but I can certainly see why some people are a bit dubious considering he was only involved in 6 games for us after he was given the contract - none of which were from the start and only once did he play for more than 20 mins.

It could easily be deemed as a poor bit of business.
    None of which is his fault?

Why any City fan would wish him anything but good luck at MK Dons is strange.

I don't think anyone is wishing him anything but good luck, he seems like a good lad who works hard.

What people are questioning is why at 1 nil down against a relegation rival in the premier league warnock brought him on instead of Bobby Reid.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    I was livid that day - I really like Neil but he got it so wrong that day - Fulham were garbage and we just invited them on and bringing on Healey just to throw the ball in long was just down right barmy
    Didn't NW admit he got it wrong ,strangely I always thought we'd lose that one, cant get my head around why we only had to turn up to win .