+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Zohore to WBA - 8 Mil!!

Re: Zohore to WBA - 8 Mil!!

Shame we didn't play to his strengths often and shame our fans are shite at times in terms of who they support and who they turn against.

Class on his day, not the best of season's last year but never got going really

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    As has Gayle, and Rondon's off to China.
    Wonder if we can get him in on loan

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Shame we didn't play to his strengths often and shame our fans are shite at times in terms of who they support and who they turn against.

Class on his day, not the best of season's last year but never got going really
    He hasn’t got going since the first handful of games of the 17/18 season nearly two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I'm happy with that as long as we get a proper striker in with the cash.
    ^^This for me. Decent money for a striker who's had two good six month periods in three and a half seasons? As long as the replacement is of sufficent quality, this is good business.

Zohore is out of contract at the end of this season, so I think this is a good deal for us.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Zohore is out of contract at the end of this season, so I think this is a good deal for us.
    GOOD, GOOD, we’ve done a proper “Dick Turpin” on ‘um, in my eyes

Hardly prolific, was he

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Was talk of a new contract but things stalled. Clear why now.

Club have to accept that sort of money. We wont be far off a replacment im sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    Absolutely, I said this earlier in the thread and totally agree. Because he's big people assume he is a target man, I think he's much better when he's facing the goal and running at the defence. I also think he'd be excellent in a big man, little man system, but he would be Earnie rather than Thorne.

Get the tactics (and most likely attitude as well) right and I think he's nigh on unstoppable.
    His goal against Preston shows how good he can be. It just never happened oftne enough.

Cracking business, £8m for a striker who's scored 10 goals in the past 2 seasons and who's contract is running out in 12 months

How the feck have we managed that?

I hope it's true for the club and the player. He might possibly get it back with a change of scene.
    The only thing which makes me a bit dubious is that the Twitter item is talking about a medical , but the player is in the USA as is the manager who you might have thought would have been involved.
    If it's true I wonder who the agent was - I'm thinking Boycy from Fools and Horses !

If figure is true its decent business. Let's not forget at times last season Warnock chose to play a converted right back ahead of Ken.

He has potential but it always feels a bit "this time next year". Some day that may never come.

Change may do him well, certainly when wanting to impress he has skills.

I'm concerned however that we are now selling one of our limited amount of forwards. Who are we actually going to end up with upfront?

I've lost a bit of faith in Ken. Great on his day but not overly confident he would consistently deliver this season, whether that's due to playing style or his form I'm just not sure it would have clicked again. If the £8m is invested well in terms of a replacement can't say I'm too disappointed. He may do well elsewhere but not sure he'd turn it around here now.

CardiffCitySince1927

Sorry, I haven’t seen. Whose driving him because I definitely will! Or is Warnock going?

Most of us would drive him there for that money. Zohore has bags of talent and virtually nil application. For every 20 or so games he has played he may perform only once. If the £8m is true he should go. When his deficiencies are discovered he will spend next season on the bench unless (and it's a big unless) he puts in the effort which hitherto has not been the case.

Re: KEN IS OFF

Quote Originally Posted by dave1927 View Post
    Decent money for a player Neil Warnock seems to have run out of patience with.
    Bit of a shame if he goes really, on his day he is devastating. He just doesn't have enough of those days.
    I feel he is a luxury that we can't really afford to carry this season. We need a striker who puts in 7/8 out of 10 perrformances consistently over a season.
    £8m for Kenneth?!! As someone else said, I’d drive him there myself. Let’s hope that this doesn’t fall through at the last minute or any of the WBA scouting team read this board :-0

He had that fantastic run where he scored 12 goals in the same number of games (someone will correct me) and looked unstoppable.

But before and after that he hasn’t realised his potential which is a bit sad.

I’ll be sorry if he goes as he has been good for us at times, but that was a longer time ago now and £8m is a fantastic price to get for a striker with a very patchy scoring record.

Whether this is good business or not all depends on the quality of striker bought in to replace Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Whether this is good business or not all depends on the quality of striker bought in to replace Ken.
    Surely you must agree though that it is worth trying someone else now and that £8m could go some way to buying a striker who will potentially give us more than Kenneth has over the last 18 months?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Surely you must agree though that it is worth trying someone else now and that £8m could go some way to buying a striker who will potentially give us more than Kenneth has over the last 18 months?
    Yes but the Ken in the 12 months (ish) prior to that was the best striker in the division. Ken at his worst was still better than our other options.

For £8 million, if reinvested in the squad and preferably a striker, I would rip their hands off.

For a long time a lot of people were waiting to discover if he was a good striker having a bad spell or if he was an average striker who had a very good spell.
    As some have pointed out the evidence suggests that he had a purple patch in amongst being a very average striker who for some reason just doesn't seem at the races the majority of the time. His inexplicable lack of ability to head the ball while being head and shoulders above centre halves is mystifying and nothing that is going to change any time soon.

If West Brom get another purple patch out of him then good luck to them but he seem as far away from it here as he has ever been and I feel that they will be as bemused as this fanbase has been at times though and they will bemoan the fact that he seems to have all the tools but little by way of enthusiasm and application.

In short a good bit of business for me provided the money is reinvested into the squad.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Without adjusting for football hyper-inflation, is £8m our biggest ever receipt for a player? I think Medel went for 3/4 of his original price which would have been less than £8m. Mutch was around £7m; Chops about £5m?

Problem is - will £8m get us something more than a talented but erratic striker? The current market is insane.
    I think you have to consider we may have been going to pay an insane ammout for another striker even if he wasn't sold, so its not selling cheap and buying dear, its cutting your outgoings while the oppotunity presents itself

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think you have to consider we may have been going to pay an insane ammout for another striker even if he wasn't sold, so its not selling cheap and buying dear, its cutting your outgoings while the oppotunity presents itself
    I'm not saying it is him but we're linked with Mbwana Samatta (I'll believe it when I see it) but he's available for £10m. £2m to potentially upgrade your striker.

Let's not build him up as a world beater here.

He scored 1 in 19 games last season.

2 in 12 in 15/16.
    12 in 29 in 16/17 (His best season for us by far)
    9 in 36 in 17/18.

I think if the money is reinvested we could get much better than Ken. Sadly I think he seems a very difficult player to get in the mood and if Warnock can't then I'm not sure many other managers could.

I'd assume the 12 months left is a big part in this. We have been awful over the years at receiving fees for our players.

On a longer contract the fee is probably not very good. If even accurate, it's not going to be 8m this year or even over the next few, may even be based on goals, promotion. In today's market it isn't getting us much but its better than nothing next July.

Story seems to be firming up , but it means that we absolutely need to sign a striker now because we're getting short in that department. It's no longer a luxury

Charlie Austin has been put into the Southampton U23's and they are accepting bids of...........8M