+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rory McIlroy - what happened?

Rory McIlroy - what happened?

At the start of this decade, I was convinced that Rory McIlroy would turn out to be Britain's best ever golfer and, possibly, one of the real all time greats. He's still young enough to achieve the first of those targets and I suppose there's still just a chance he could manage the second. I don't pay as much attention to tournament golf as I used to, but I was not too surprised to see him start his 2019 British Open campaign with a 79 after making a quadruple bogey at the first.

Time was, a challenge like playing at an Irish venue in the Open would have been guaranteed to bring out the best in McIlroy, but there's a frailty to him these days which I think may date back to a decision years ago to take the money when he changed club manufacturers at a time when he was at the peak of his powers - I am right about that decision aren't I and does anyone else have a theory as to what's gone wrong with him?

Re: Rory McIlroy - what happened?

Too much hype and pressure put on him, people were talking of him being the next tiger. He's clearly a top golfer still and with some tweaking could win more majors but there are many just as good and fair few better.

Dropping 7 shots in 2 holes is what happened! Even I'm capable of that!

From I can deduce his long stick thingy hit the little ball , and it didn't go the right way .

Rory has found good form this year and is ranked #3 in the Official World Golf Ranking. There’s nothing wrong with his game. It’s clearly a mental problem where in the most high pressure situations he struggles to maintain his composure as demonstrated today. His decision making and course management doesn’t always seem to be the best. It’s often said having his best friend as his caddy doesn’t help. Maybe this relationship is too cosy and he needs a stronger character on his bag who can provide him with more guidance when things aren’t going to plan.

Think his brain has slipped to a position roughly three feet below where it should be.

Golf is an extraordinary game.
    It can bite anyone.
    I shot 88 gross today.
    First time I can recall Rory having two scores in his round that were worse than mine. 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    At the start of this decade, I was convinced that Rory McIlroy would turn out to be Britain's best ever golfer and, possibly, one of the real all time greats. He's still young enough to achieve the first of those targets and I suppose there's still just a chance he could manage the second. I don't pay as much attention to tournament golf as I used to, but I was not too surprised to see him start his 2019 British Open campaign with a 79 after making a quadruple bogey at the first.

Time was, a challenge like playing at an Irish venue in the Open would have been guaranteed to bring out the best in McIlroy, but there's a frailty to him these days which I think may date back to a decision years ago to take the money when he changed club manufacturers at a time when he was at the peak of his powers - I am right about that decision aren't I and does anyone else have a theory as to what's gone wrong with him?
    Absolutely right about changing his Clubs, and he’s not alone others have done the same, Nike may be the leading sportswear brand but they ain’t golf people and are an overrated brand, all glamour no substance.

Who cares?
    😷

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    At the start of this decade, I was convinced that Rory McIlroy would turn out to be Britain's best ever golfer and, possibly, one of the real all time greats. He's still young enough to achieve the first of those targets and I suppose there's still just a chance he could manage the second. I don't pay as much attention to tournament golf as I used to, but I was not too surprised to see him start his 2019 "British Open" campaign with a 79 after making a quadruple bogey at the first.

Come on Bob FFS it's called "The Open"

McIlroy's problem is that he always "goes for it". Lost patience with him years ago.

Im convinced that weight training has affected his game. Hes put on far too much muscle and his body shape has changed since he was younger.

Why some of these golfers hit the gym so much and bulk up I dont get. Change your body shape and its bound to change your swing slightly and theres fine margins in golf.

Hes not a good enough putter either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Absolutely right about changing his Clubs, and he’s not alone others have done the same, Nike may be the leading sportswear brand but they ain’t golf people and are an overrated brand, all glamour no substance.

Nike haven't produced golf clubs for some time, it appears he was far better when he had nike clubs.

Rory is an excellent player but he has been over hyped for so long people still talk about him being the best player based on no evidence.

Of course the NI players should be taking advantage but it seems like the pressure has got to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Im convinced that weight training has affected his game. Hes put on far too much muscle and his body shape has changed since he was younger.

Why some of these golfers hit the gym so much and bulk up I dont get. Change your body shape and its bound to change your swing slightly and theres fine margins in golf.

Hes not a good enough putter either.
    I understand what you are saying to a certain extent but then you look at Brooks who is the best player in the world currently.

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    From I can deduce his long stick thingy hit the little ball , and it didn't go the right way .
    It's not a stick thingy, it's a bat. Anything you hit a ball with is a bat. Fact!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    It's not a stick thingy, it's a bat. Anything you hit a ball with is a bat. Fact!!!
    Argh, okay, might explain why they dont run straight after hitting the little snooker white ball thingy.

They sort chuck thier bat at this other fella , who has a huge shopping trolley of others bats .

They were girly gloves as well ?

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Argh, okay, might explain why they dont run straight after hitting the little snooker white ball thingy.

They sort chuck thier bat at this other fella , who has a huge shopping trolley of others bats .

They were girly gloves as well ?

And poofter pants

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    And poofter pants
    And they march off angrily like a small child with a strope on sometimes , throwing thier bat down on the floor, only for that trolley chap to bend down like a obedient butler or parent and pick it up and then run after him carrying that huge bag which is twice the size of him , his back must be in pieces.

Got too big for his boots like most top pro golfers.

Just seen the 3 putt from 2 1/2 feet. Pathetic.