+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bananas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Bananas

Of course I've always been concerned about Jamaica as well as other many countries with a long historical connection with ours, but whose economies don't get the boost from British trade which they deserve, and which also benefit us.

I'd have to say specifically that anyone connected with South Wales who wasn't both knowledgeable and concerned about trade with the West Indies isn't well informed , since it was a huge part of the local economy and employment for decades. Obviously though, I mention Jamaica here specifically because the subject is bananas, and the banana trade was a big part of the trade between South Wales and the Commonwealth. Had it been oil, I'd have spoken of Trinidad, which I've also always been concerned about.

Of course I'm primarily concerned with the interests of the U.K, but where it's possible to benefit other countries in the course of trade and exchange we should put that in the direction of people who have been loyal friends in the past rather than those who have historically tried to invade and enslave us .

If you've been to the West Indies, you'll be aware that society there is still very British "themed" and they are very hurt that we've turned to our common former enemies as preferential trading partners.

Re: Bananas

What part of East Anglia are you from? I only ask as you seem to have such a rudimentary grasp of agricultural trade and particularly the causes of the demise of Jamaican (and more generally ACP banana production and exports) that perhaps you come from a more urban part of that wonderful region?