Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 46

Thread: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

  1. #1

    How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Unfortunately I was asleep, can’t find anything on here, very unusual! Or am I still half asleep?

  2. #2

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?


  3. #3

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    it ended 1 - 1

    Omar Bogle with this free kick to level


  4. #4

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    it ended 1 - 1

    Omar Bogle with this free kick to level

    Don’t you just love American commentators

    “Into the back of the net”

  5. #5
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    6,137

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    That's 2 goals from 2 set pieces then on tour. None from open play.

    This is starting to look familiar. Will we ever get someone ever again who can actually score goals relatively consistently?

  6. #6

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    That's 2 goals from 2 set pieces then on tour. None from open play.

    This is starting to look familiar. Will we ever get someone ever again who can actually score goals relatively consistently?
    What are you talking about ?????

    Tomlin and Madine are smashing in the goals in Pre-season friendlies

  7. #7

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    That's 2 goals from 2 set pieces then on tour. None from open play.

    This is starting to look familiar. Will we ever get someone ever again who can actually score goals relatively consistently?
    God, you like moaning dont you. A goal, is a goal, is a goal. How is a penalty a set piece by the way ? You make it sound like we are deliberately playing for penalties in games. Lionel Messi scores a lot of his goals from free kicks around the box but you dont hear the Barcelona fans, or anyone else, moaning about that do you.

  8. #8

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    God, you like moaning dont you. A goal, is a goal, is a goal. How is a penalty a set piece by the way ? You make it sound like we are deliberately playing for penalties in games. Lionel Messi scores a lot of his goals from free kicks around the box but you dont hear the Barcelona fans, or anyone else, moaning about that do you.
    A set piece occurs any time there is a restart of play following a foul or a ball going out of play.
    A penalty is counted as a restart of play following foul play and therefore classified as a set piece.

    Also Barcelona create lots of chances and score lots of goals from open play. We don’t and struggled to create many chances last season. Some posters are, quite rightly, a little concerned.

  9. #9

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    A set piece occurs any time there is a restart of play following a foul or a ball going out of play.
    A penalty is counted as a restart of play following foul play and therefore classified as a set piece.

    Also Barcelona create lots of chances and score lots of goals from open play. We don’t and struggled to create many chances last season. Some posters are, quite rightly, a little concerned.
    Ok. Technically by definition you are correct. However, when most fans talk about their team only scoring from set pieces, they mean free kicks, corners, throw ins etc and wouldnt include penalties. A penalty can result from a free flowing, expansive, section of play where the attacker is hacked down at the last second, just as he is going to score. A free kick from just outside the box, like Bogles last night, can be a thing of beauty lauded by everyone, a la Beckham, Messi, Suarez etc. To complain about Citys scoring record two games into a pre season tour abroad, in adverse conditions, against teams we know very little about and when the main objective is just to get the players fit is ridiculous.

  10. #10

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    A set piece occurs any time there is a restart of play following a foul or a ball going out of play.
    A penalty is counted as a restart of play following foul play and therefore classified as a set piece.

    Also Barcelona create lots of chances and score lots of goals from open play. We don’t and struggled to create many chances last season. Some posters are, quite rightly, a little concerned.
    Also the reason they have a lot of set pieces around the box is because they are so potent in open play so draw a lot of fouls.

  11. #11

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Ok. Technically by definition you are correct. However, when most fans talk about their team only scoring from set pieces, they mean free kicks, corners, throw ins etc and wouldnt include penalties. A penalty can result from a free flowing, expansive, section of play where the attacker is hacked down at the last second, just as he us going to score. A free kick from just outside the box, like Bogles last night, can be a thing of beauty lauded by everyone, a la WHITTS Beckham, Messi, Suarez etc. To complain about Citys scoring record two games into a pre season tour abroad, in adverse conditions, against teams we know very little about and when the main objective is just to get the players fit is ridiculous.
    Get your priorities right please

  12. #12

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Get your priorities right please
    Many apologies.

  13. #13

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Are we really going to aruge that a penalty is not a set piece now

    Goals from open play has definitely been one of our weeknesses at times, hopefully we aren't overly reliant on set peices this season.

  14. #14

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    So far this tour hasn't been very inspiring and the personnel changes going on at the same time at home are going in the direction of a loss of continuity.

  15. #15

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Not to say we won't struggle for goals from open play, it'sbeen a weakness for a while, but I wouldn't look for clues in how we play glorified training matches just as I won't be taking much from our 2 nil win at old Trafford on the last day.

    I'll assume we will get back to being prolific from set pieces this season, absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'll assume we also have forwards and midfielders coming in and as such we may look a bit different come the first match or then end of the window.

  16. #16

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Not to say we won't struggle for goals from open play, it'sbeen a weakness for a while, but I wouldn't look for clues in how we play glorified training matches just as I won't be taking much from our 2 nil win at old Trafford on the last day.

    I'll assume we will get back to being prolific from set pieces this season, absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'll assume we also have forwards and midfielders coming in and as such we may look a bit different come the first match or then end of the window.
    The first game and the end of the window is about a week apart

  17. #17

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    The first game and the end of the window is about a week apart
    I didn't realise.. But I mean a lot changes on deadline day for some

  18. #18

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I didn't realise.. But I mean a lot changes on deadline day for some
    Yes Warnock does seem to like a bit of late business.
    I remember the 10/11 season where we didn’t seem to do much business at the start but then had Koumas, Bellamy, Olofinjana and Keogh by the end of it.

  19. #19
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    6,137

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    God, you like moaning dont you. A goal, is a goal, is a goal. How is a penalty a set piece by the way ? You make it sound like we are deliberately playing for penalties in games. Lionel Messi scores a lot of his goals from free kicks around the box but you dont hear the Barcelona fans, or anyone else, moaning about that do you.
    Me like moaning? What planet are you on ?

  20. #20

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    It was nothing more than a run out. There wasn't much cohesive play. The players looked uncomforbale and overheated. Lots of long balls including kicks from the goalie and crosses were overhit, I'm assuming due to the heat and the altitude.

  21. #21

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Watched the whole game live. It was a tough watch to be honest, but it really was just a training session. Players weren’t getting subbed and staying off - seems like a system of rolling subs was pre-agreed. Nobody stood out

  22. #22

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    God, you like moaning dont you. A goal, is a goal, is a goal. How is a penalty a set piece by the way ? You make it sound like we are deliberately playing for penalties in games. Lionel Messi scores a lot of his goals from free kicks around the box but you dont hear the Barcelona fans, or anyone else, moaning about that do you.
    Barcelona scored 90 goals last season. And won the league. And they still moan.

  23. #23

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Yes Warnock does seem to like a bit of late business.
    I remember the 10/11 season where we didn’t seem to do much business at the start but then had Koumas, Bellamy, Olofinjana and Keogh by the end of it.
    in 2010/11 we were under a transfer embargo until the end of the transfer window, so we had no choice.

  24. #24

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    God, you like moaning dont you. A goal, is a goal, is a goal. How is a penalty a set piece by the way ? You make it sound like we are deliberately playing for penalties in games. Lionel Messi scores a lot of his goals from free kicks around the box but you dont hear the Barcelona fans, or anyone else, moaning about that do you.
    I'd say it was more raising a valid point than moaning.

  25. #25

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    I'm glad we have put to bed the age old argument, "Who is better from open play, Barcelona or Cardiff City?"

  26. #26
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    6,137

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I'd say it was more raising a valid point than moaning.
    Come on now don't be silly. We all know that anyone who disagrees with or questions dml is moaning by definition
    (hmmm I wonder if dml is rudy's alt account? Better not mention that.)

  27. #27

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Come on now don't be silly. We all know that anyone who disagrees with or questions dml is moaning by definition
    (hmmm I wonder if dml is rudy's alt account? Better not mention that.)
    I can assure you I am not Rudy. I just joined for a bit of chit-chat, and to reminisce about my favourite player Dathanial Mendes Liang

  28. #28

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    I can assure you I am not Rudy. I just joined for a bit of chit-chat, and to reminisce about my favourite player Dathanial Mendes Liang

  29. #29
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    6,137

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    I can assure you I am not Rudy. I just joined for a bit of chit-chat, and to reminisce about my favourite player Dathanial Mendes Liang
    Gotta love it

  30. #30

    Re: How’d We Get On Last Night/Early Morning?

    As long as we get through the tour without any injuries it will be a success. I'd have to think the only reason for being there is down to fitness, all that work in the extreme heat and altitude can only set them up well. They could've found much better competition in North America (and quite frankly better cities).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •