+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T - Old Cycle Test Track @ Gabalfa

O/T - Old Cycle Test Track @ Gabalfa

Now being developed - anyone got any ideas whats being build here?
    My brother is thinking of moving near there and he likes the views but not sure if they are building student skyscrapers in the back garden!

International

Re: O/T - Old Cycle Test Track @ Gabalfa

Do you mean the old Empire Stadium? That was originally a sports arena. Track and field.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Do you mean the old Empire Stadium? That was originally a sports arena. Track and field.
    Na, he means the “cycle proficiency test centre”, which was next to the old Plaza cinema

It’s going to be a mixture of flats and houses, private and social housing. It’s not a student development, but there’ll be plenty of students for neighbours in the area with it being so near Heath Hospital. I live quite close, it’s a good place to live convenient for town, A470, M4 etc fairly quiet, loads of places to eat on Whitchurch Road. Houses tend to be cheaper than Heath or Whitchurch.

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Na, he means the “cycle proficiency test centre”, which was next to the old Plaza cinema
    Never even knew that existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Toggs View Post
    It’s going to be a mixture of flats and houses, private and social housing. It’s not a student development, but there’ll be plenty of students for neighbours in the area with it being so near Heath Hospital. I live quite close, it’s a good place to live convenient for town, A470, M4 etc fairly quiet, loads of places to eat on Whitchurch Road. Houses tend to be cheaper than Heath or Whitchurch.
    Thanks Toggs - do you know who the developer is?

It just says Cardiff Homes on the adverts around it, I think it’s a council project but I’m not sure whose doing the actual work.

Briardene used to be owned by the Highways Department of the Council and housed the Road Safety section which included running the School Crossing Patrol service. As has been pointed out already there was as area marked out for cycling proficiency tests. I remember doing that test in Junior School and got a yellow pennant to attach to the handlebars of my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Briardene used to be owned by the Highways Department of the Council and housed the Road Safety section which included running the School Crossing Patrol service. As has been pointed out already there was as area marked out for cycling proficiency tests. I remember doing that test in Junior School and got a yellow pennant to attach to the handlebars of my bike.
    Did you put wooden clothes pegs + cardboard on your wheels as well ?????

Great - thanks chaps

Didn't we all do that?

Most definitely!!

I remember the cycling proficiency centre well, I grew up just around the corner.
    It was called maindy not gabalfa in those days
    Seems like it's becoming a decent area these days, plenty of nice places to eat on Whitchurch road. Town is a nice walk through Bute park away.
    Only real downside is the school catchment isn't great

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I remember the cycling proficiency centre well, I grew up just around the corner.
    Seems like it's becoming a decent area these days, plenty of nice places to eat on Whitchurch road. Town is a nice walk through Bute park away.
    Cathays High was always a good School in my day? not now???

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Cathays High was always a good School in my day? not now???
    When was your day? I can't recall it ever being one of the better schools

I always thought that the Cycling Proficiency Centre was near St Mark's church, which is definitely in Gabalfa? Then you had further up Mynachdy, Cathays High school... from there to the rail bridge was the Maindy area. The Maindy pub used to be opposite Cathays High school (The College Tavern now, I believe?) and of course, just a little further up is Maindy stadium.

I had a mate who lived in Maelog Place, Mynachdy. Cathays High school was no more than a 5 minute stroll from his house, and yet due to the education authority's demarcation guidelines, he had to go to Glantaf High school, Llandaff North instead - that must be a good 40 minutes walk.. crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Now being developed - anyone got any ideas whats being build here?
    My brother is thinking of moving near there and he likes the views but not sure if they are building student skyscrapers in the back garden!

It's a small fracking test area being explored by Trump Industries which will operate for about 6 months and ,if successful be expanded to surrounding areas.

International

When was your day? I can't recall it ever being one of the better schools
    1961. Kids went there who had passed the 11 plus I think. It always seemed OK. I knew a couple of girls who went ghere from gabalfa estate.