+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Striker ?

Striker ?

Just thinking....
    We're all talking about signing a striker and everyone I speak to in other parts of the country says that Cardiff would be a great team if only they had a good striker.

Yet, in the past two seasons we've bought two strikers who've scored hatfulls in the Championship - we've already got them ,but they don't do it for us.
    I think Bobby Reid can and maybe will this year, and the evidence indicates that Gary Madine can too, but I wonder whether we should just accept that the way we play doesn't work for a prolific individual goal scorer.

I'm certainly not keen on changing a system which works ,although we'd all love to see a goalscoring maestro in the team .

Are we wasting our time then chasing more strikers ? Should we just concentrate on developing our present structure and rely upon goals coming from a lot of different players as they've done in the past rather than trying to fit a round peg into a square hole ?

Re: Striker ?

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Just thinking....
    We're all talking about signing a striker and everyone I speak to in other parts of the country says that Cardiff would be a great team if only they had a good striker.

Yet, in the past two seasons we've bought two strikers who've scored hatfulls in the Championship - we've already got them ,but they don't do it for us.
    I think Bobby Reid can and maybe will this year, and the evidence indicates that Gary Madine can too, but I wonder whether we should just accept that the way we play doesn't work for a prolific individual goal scorer.

I'm certainly not keen on changing a system which works ,although we'd all love to see a goalscoring maestro in the team .

Are we wasting our time then chasing more strikers ? Should we just concentrate on developing our present structure and rely upon goals coming from a lot of different players as they've done in the past rather than trying to fit a round peg into a square hole ?
    Bobby Reid isn't a striker. He's a forward, but not a striker in that sense... I honestly think he's our most talented forward player in the squad, but also well aware he's maybe not the easiest to fit into an 11, especially ours. I really hope he gets a key role in next seasons starting team because he has true quality imo.

RB , you raise a valid point as you point out our style of play won't alter too much , so would a huge spend on a striker make a difference, perhaps spending money in midfield is the answer.

I've not given up up Madine yet ,and Ward of he can stay fit looks a good forward.

And let's be fair other than players like Murray where will we find one ?

Maybe the test of all that will be whether Ken scores goals at WBA

Jonathan Kodjia

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Jonathan Kodjia
    Now that sounds like a confident prediction ?

I think we are also desperately short in centre midfield...3 gone and only 1 arrived following last season

I sincerely hope Danny Ward comes good.

He deserves some luck, as he always puts a shift in

Here’s hoping

Gary Madine has one season of scoring a hatful of goals in the Championship but I think he's more effective as a target man - just not as mobile as Zohore was.

Does our system really work? We didn’t score enough goals last season, did we!
    It’s been said by many (including Warnock) that promotion to the Premier League was unexpected - in fact, we were favourites to go down in season 2017/18.
    So for us to expect promotion this season is rather optimistic.
    What I’m saying is that our squad needs significant rebuilding so that we can challenge for promotion and then actually make a good fist of staying up.
    I see a manager bringing players that might be okayish at Championship level, but that’s about it, so I’m not terribly optimistic about who’ll be signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Jonathan Kodjia
    Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I sincerely hope Danny Ward comes good.

He deserves some luck, as he always puts a shift in

Here’s hoping
    Same here Tony. Fingers x he stays fit.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Yes please.
    Blimey both Des and Welshlad mentioning the same name. Must be something in it.

Just realised another ex Wurzels player!
    😀

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Gary Madine has one season of scoring a hatful of goals in the Championship but I think he's more effective as a target man - just not as mobile as Zohore was.
    Zohore, MOBILE !!!!!

I must have missed that game

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Yes please.
    That would be an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    It’s been said by many (including Warnock) that promotion to the Premier League was unexpected - in fact, we were favourites to go down in season 2017/18.
    What I’m saying is that our squad needs significant rebuilding so that we can challenge for promotion and then actually make a good fist of staying up.
    I see a manager bringing players that might be okayish at Championship level, but that’s about it, so I’m not terribly optimistic about who’ll be signed.

I think our system works in the championship , but that most teams in the Premieship can get around it. Otherwise I agree 100% with your comments.
    My thoughts would be that we should continue Warnockball this season and get promoted with it, but when that happens we'll have to quickly shift into a different system.

How bout this guy...
    Okay, playing in some mickey mouse league and, although unproven in the championship, may well be a Warnock-type player...

https://youtu.be/AhYWw_brsS8

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Zohore, MOBILE !!!!!

I must have missed that game
    Zohore is really quick

Does our system really work? We didn’t score enough goals last season, did we?
    By comparison, our goalscoring record last season wasn't too bad when looking at other relegated sides over many seasons. Defensively, despite an unusually high 11 clean sheets, our defensive record was absolutely shocking, especially at home.

Who knows if our woeful possession stats was a part of the reason for us conceding so many.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Zohore is really quick
    He is but he just didnt fit into our structure. he just went cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Goggles View Post
    He is but he just didnt fit into our structure. he just went cold.
    Yes we haven't played to his strengths for a while now. But he definitely has something about him.

There will be no serious re build until a new manager arrives