+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: True inclusiveness

True inclusiveness

Does the current England cricket side represent a true representation of a British side and country , and real inclusiveness exists and not a sound bite , where you have a captain saying Allah was definitely with us’.

“I said we had the run of the green , actually it epitomizes our team. It’s one with quite diverse backgrounds, cultures and people growing up in different countries. ""

Re: True inclusiveness

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Does the current England cricket side represent a true representation of a British side and country , and real inclusiveness exists and not a sound bite , where you have a captain saying Allah was definitely with us’.

“I said we had the run of the green , actually it epitomizes our team. It’s one with quite diverse backgrounds, cultures and people growing up in different countries. ""
    It needs a few more Scottish and Welsh players to be representative of Britain

International

And the match winner for England has just been nominated for the award of NewZealander of the year.
    You couldn't make it up.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    And the match winner for England has just been nominated for the award of NewZealander of the year.
    You couldn't make it up.
    You could quite easily make it up, people make up far more complicated things than that

As long as it's called England and not England and Wales then it cannot represent inclusiveness let alone true inclusiveness. They are denying Welsh representation at the highest stage.

Second point being how many are from state schools. Would I be correct in saying it's one player out of eleven? To be fair I genuinely don't know but this has always been a criticism within England and Wales cricket.

International

Why does every thread on here have to become a source of political/social/ethnic faux outrage or debate? Cant we just enjoy the good sport and the people who play it and make it so good?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    It needs a few more Scottish and Welsh players to be representative of Britain
    absolutely, but they have to be good enough,

We have many Welshman play and run EEC ,over the years ,recently we seem to have had a drought .

Not many Scots , Is it a sport that perhaps hasn't gripped them , as it has Wales / England , however I do remember the great Scot Mike Denness .

You couldn't make it up.
    yes, strabge one , as a New Zealander I'm not sure how I would take that

List
    Country of birth Number Players
    India 17 K.S. Ranjitsinhji, Teddy Wynyard, Richard Young, Neville Tufnell, Douglas Jardine, Duleepsinhji, Nawab of Pataudi Sr., Errol Holmes, Norman Mitchell-Innes, George Emmett, Colin Cowdrey, John Jameson, Bob Woolmer, Robin Jackman, Nasser Hussain, Vikram Solanki, Min Patel.
    South Africa 17 Basil D’Oliviera, Tony Greig, Ian Greig, Allan Lamb, Chris Smith, Robin Smith, Andrew Strauss, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, Jonathan Trott, Craig Kieswetter, Jade Dernbach, Stuart Meaker, Michael Lumb, Jason Roy, Keaton Jennings, Tom Curran.
    Wales 14 Johnnie Clay, Robert Croft, Jeff Jones, Tony Lewis, Austin Matthews, Hugh Morris, Gilbert Parkhouse, Pat Pocock, Greg Thomas, Maurice Turnbull, Cyril Walters, Steve Watkin, Allan Watkins, Simon Jones.
    Australia 10 Billy Murdoch, John Ferris, Sammy Woods, Albert Trott, Gubby Allen, Adam Hollioake, Ben Hollioake, Jason Gallian, Tim Ambrose, Sam Robson.
    Scotland 9 Mike Denness, Gavin Hamilton, Alec Kennedy, David Larter, Gregor MacGregor, Ian Peebles, Eric Russell, Dougie Brown, Peter Such.
    Republic of Ireland 5 Leland Hone, Sir Tim O'Brien, Frederick Fane, Ed Joyce, Eoin Morgan.
    Barbados 4 Roland Butcher, Gladstone Small, Chris Jordan, Jofra Archer.
    Northern Ireland 3 Joseph McMaster, Martin McCague, Boyd Rankin.
    Zimbabwe 3 Graeme Hick, Paul Parker, Gary Ballance.
    Germany 2 Donald Carr, Paul Terry.
    Guyana 2 Chris Lewis, Monte Lynch.
    Jamaica 2 Norman Cowans, Devon Malcolm.
    Kenya 2 Derek Pringle, Jamie Dalrymple.
    New Zealand 2 Andy Caddick, Ben Stokes.
    Pakistan 2 Usman Afzaal, Owais Shah.
    Trinidad and Tobago 2 Lord Harris, Pelham Warner.
    St Vincent and the Grenadines 2 Wilf Slack, Neil Williams.
    Zambia 2 Phil Edmonds, Neal Radford.
    Denmark 1 Amjad Khan.
    Dominica 1 Phillip DeFreitas.
    Hong Kong 1 Dermot Reeve.
    Italy 1 Ted Dexter.
    Papua New Guinea 1 Geraint Jones. ????????????
    Peru 1 Freddie Brown.
    St Kitts and Nevis 1 Joey Benjamin.

Why does every thread on here have to become a source of political/social/ethnic faux outrage or debate? Cant we just enjoy the good sport and the people who play it and make it so good?

I might start getting annoyed about the lack of recognition for Wales in the England cricket if there was a Welsh born player remotely close to meriting selection - as it is, there's only been three, at most, Welshmen in the Glamorgan team this season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I might start getting annoyed about the lack of recognition for Wales in the England cricket if there was a Welsh born player remotely close to meriting selection - as it is, there's only been three, at most, Welshmen in the Glamorgan team this season.
    Gosh I didn't realise that ,do you think its the rush to instant success or financial survival where big names sell shirts and bring in fans ??

Whats the under belly of Welsh youth cricket ,is it like Cardiff City youth issue ? and progression , which you have highlighted well over the years

Gosh I didn't realise that ,do you think its the rush to instant success or financial survival where big names sell shirts and bring in fans ??

Whats the under belly of Welsh youth cricket ,is it like Cardiff City youth issue ? and progression , which you have highlighted well over the years
    Based on the little I've seen of Glamorgan below first team level, I think there are some good, young prospects who might break into the first team eventually, but, rather like at City, it seems to me that Glamorgan are having trouble turning very good teenage potential into even moderate first team players.

Aneiran Donald's record in the four day game in particular in his last couple years at Glamorgan was dreadful and he often struggled to keep his place in the one day side, now he's gone to Hampshire and is scoring far more runs in the longer game while playing in a higher standard of cricket. Glamorgan have had a much better season this year, but it's been disappointing to see how little first team Cricket their best young batsman has played. Keiron Carlson began the season with a hundred, then had a few low scores and has barely been seen since - I can see Carlson moving somewhere else if his current situation continues and to lose him and Donald would reflect poorly on the county in view.

List
    Country of birth Number Players
    India 17 K.S. Ranjitsinhji, Teddy Wynyard, Richard Young, Neville Tufnell, Douglas Jardine, Duleepsinhji, Nawab of Pataudi Sr., Errol Holmes, Norman Mitchell-Innes, George Emmett, Colin Cowdrey, John Jameson, Bob Woolmer, Robin Jackman, Nasser Hussain, Vikram Solanki, Min Patel.
    South Africa 17 Basil D’Oliviera, Tony Greig, Ian Greig, Allan Lamb, Chris Smith, Robin Smith, Andrew Strauss, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, Jonathan Trott, Craig Kieswetter, Jade Dernbach, Stuart Meaker, Michael Lumb, Jason Roy, Keaton Jennings, Tom Curran.
    Wales 14 Johnnie Clay, Robert Croft, Jeff Jones, Tony Lewis, Austin Matthews, Hugh Morris, Gilbert Parkhouse, Pat Pocock, Greg Thomas, Maurice Turnbull, Cyril Walters, Steve Watkin, Allan Watkins, Simon Jones.
    Australia 10 Billy Murdoch, John Ferris, Sammy Woods, Albert Trott, Gubby Allen, Adam Hollioake, Ben Hollioake, Jason Gallian, Tim Ambrose, Sam Robson.
    Scotland 9 Mike Denness, Gavin Hamilton, Alec Kennedy, David Larter, Gregor MacGregor, Ian Peebles, Eric Russell, Dougie Brown, Peter Such.
    Republic of Ireland 5 Leland Hone, Sir Tim O'Brien, Frederick Fane, Ed Joyce, Eoin Morgan.
    Barbados 4 Roland Butcher, Gladstone Small, Chris Jordan, Jofra Archer.
    Northern Ireland 3 Joseph McMaster, Martin McCague, Boyd Rankin.
    Zimbabwe 3 Graeme Hick, Paul Parker, Gary Ballance.
    Germany 2 Donald Carr, Paul Terry.
    Guyana 2 Chris Lewis, Monte Lynch.
    Jamaica 2 Norman Cowans, Devon Malcolm.
    Kenya 2 Derek Pringle, Jamie Dalrymple.
    New Zealand 2 Andy Caddick, Ben Stokes.
    Pakistan 2 Usman Afzaal, Owais Shah.
    Trinidad and Tobago 2 Lord Harris, Pelham Warner.
    St Vincent and the Grenadines 2 Wilf Slack, Neil Williams.
    Zambia 2 Phil Edmonds, Neal Radford.
    Denmark 1 Amjad Khan.
    Dominica 1 Phillip DeFreitas.
    Hong Kong 1 Dermot Reeve.
    Italy 1 Ted Dexter.
    Papua New Guinea 1 Geraint Jones. ????????????
    Peru 1 Freddie Brown.
    St Kitts and Nevis 1 Joey Benjamin.
    Kepler Wessels (sp) opened for both Australia and South Africa!

Yeah Kepler played for the cons when SA were excluded from Test Cricket.

Kepler Christoffel Wessels (born 14 September 1957) is a South African-Australian cricket commentator and former cricketer who captained South Africa after playing 24 Tests for Australia.[3] Since retiring he has been a lawn bowls competitor.[4]

absolutely, but they have to be good enough,

We have many Welshman play and run EEC ,over the years ,recently we seem to have had a drought .

Not many Scots , Is it a sport that perhaps hasn't gripped them , as it has Wales / England , however I do remember the great Scot Mike Denness .
    Scotland have their own team...