+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Open

The Open

A new hero on the island of Ireland ()

Irishman Shane Lowry, 63 today and a lead of four shots.
    Be great to see him do it tomorrow

Re: The Open

Golf anyone?

Lowry just bogeyed 8 and 9 but still 5 clear of Fleetwood.

Dreadful conditions but same for everyone I suppose.

Today's poor quality compared to yesterday. Superb rounds all over the place yesterday on a benign sunny day. Weather has dominated today and everyone bar Lowry in reverse. Spectacular course, needs to stay in the rota.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    A new hero on the island of Ireland ()

A 63 year old winning a walking sport with sticks and girl pants ,madness .

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Today's poor quality compared to yesterday. Superb rounds all over the place yesterday on a benign sunny day. Weather has dominated today and everyone bar Lowry in reverse. Spectacular course, needs to stay in the rota.
    Tough out there today, as a spectator wanting to see the world's best perform, perhaps a bit of a let down.
    As a local from the island of Ireland, none of it. As a golf fan, fantastic.

Pure emotion at the end.
    Many brilliant millionaire golfers have walked the courses of this planet, not many have won a major competition.

Lowry's life will never be the same again.
    Excellent entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    A new hero on the island of

. happy birthday sean..you only look around 32

International

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    . happy birthday sean..you only look around 32
    Aw thank you

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Aw thank you

...shane

Glad that wasn't Royal Porthcawl, the London media would never let up about the 'Welsh' weather.
    There seems to be a love-in with the Irish though.
    As a spectacle it was utterly depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Glad that wasn't Royal Porthcawl, the London media would never let up about the 'Welsh' weather.
    There seems to be a love-in with the Irish though.
    As a spectacle it was utterly depressing.
    Guinness have done an utterly spectacular job of fuelling the Irish love-in. Would love to see the Open at Royal Porthcawl, if that could ever be a possibility, the organisers of the Open seem to be ultra-traditionalists.

A great win for Ireland and Shane. From a fantastic sporting family.

A really down to earth guy. That Davies female golfer describing him as a Brit yesterday, she couldn't even get the basics right. ;)

Up Offaly!

I've been a golf fan for decades, but I think I'm an unusual one because I've always preferred watching golf in conditions like yesterday's, as opposed to the flat, calm ones that produced a record low score for the leader after the first three days of the event. According to Ewan Murray, the conditions yesterday were awkward, but far from impossible as the course showed It's teeth for the first time to make it the contest between player, course and elements that a British Open should be - it was a contest that slowcoach JB Holmes lost spectacularly as his 87 took him from the penultimate group to sixty seventh in a few hours.

Shane Lowry proved himself the best in the field when it came to the target golf of the first three days and then, after a dodgy spell around the turn, did better than virtually every one else, while also coping with leading, in much more testing conditions to emerge as a thoroughly deserving winner in a manner which reminded me a bit of Darren Clarke's Open win in 2011 I believe it was.

Congratulations to the new Champion and credit to all involved in taking the tournament back to Portrush - it surely won't be another sixty eight years before it is held there again.