+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: City beat Valladolid on penalties

City beat Valladolid on penalties

FT: Cardiff City 1-1 Real Valladolid. Bluebirds win 4-2 after a penalty shoot out. Omar Bogle scored for City during the 90 mins. Joe Day saved twice in the shoot out as City are unbeaten on tour

First Team

Re: City beat Valladolid on penalties

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    FT: Cardiff City 1-1 Real Valladolid. Bluebirds win 4-2 after a penalty shoot out. Omar Bogle scored for City during the 90 mins. Joe Day saved twice in the shoot out as City are unbeaten on tour

One goal from open play in 270 minutes. And scored by the outcast Bogle.

Crisis? What crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    One goal from open play in 270 minutes. And scored by the outcast Bogle.

Crisis? What crisis?
    Don’t read too much into friendlies. Especially against sides so far away that we know not about and games played in 40 degree heat

All about minutes and giving players a run.

Lovely move for our goal, Ralls’ pass took 2 defenders out- lovely bit of skill, then nice cross from Cunningham and tremendous desire from Bogle to win the header.

Nice to see the likes of Coxe and Damour get game time.

Waite and Bolger also came on.

Day the penalty hero

My only worry is that we may have undercooked it a bit and could have had an extra friendly or 2- especially after having a bigger turnover of players than expected

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Don’t read too much into friendlies. Especially against sides so far away that we know not about and games played in 40 degree heat

Lovely move for our goal, Ralls’ pass took 2 defenders out- lovely bit of skill, then nice cross from Cunningham and tremendous desire from Bogle to win the header.

Day the penalty hero

My only worry is that we may have undercooked it a bit and could have had an extra friendly or 2- especially after having a bigger turnover of players than expected
    Another 2 friendlies in the next 7 days would have been good. A midweek plus one on the weekend. Gives opportunity for those who performed well at U23 to play with the first team.

It would be (Nice) to have another friendly and let the Bogle run free, a centre forward heading a ball is rare and (Nice ) treat indeed.

Heady days.

Day the penalty hero

I agree with your last paragraph, but, because the club have said nothing about the behind closed doors game with Forest Green, we know very little about who played in that match - perhaps another such game could be arranged within the next fortnight?

Also, I think the reference to a crisis earlier in the thread is a bit over the top. The US tour has tended to mirror what has always been clear, in the Championship at least, that is, we're a low scoring side (most teams that finish up as runners up in the second tier score more than sixty nine goals) under Neil Warnock, but we're also solid defensively.

Although he finished his spell at Cardiff as something of a figure of derision, Oumar Niasse was our first choice striker for much of the second half of last season and did turn in some impressive performances despite his lack of goals. At the moment, we've lost him, Zohore and Healey without bringing in a striker, while three first team midfielders have left with only one new one bought in. We are definitely weaker than last season as of now and more first team quality players are needed, but the situation does not become a crisis until the window closes without further additions to our squad and, even then, there will be the opportunity to make loan signings for a while I believe (though I'm not 100 percent sure of that).

I think the window for incoming loans and permanent signings is the same this year in the Championship - 5pm Thursday 8th August.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8911346.html

International

But many loans happen nearer the end of the window don't they, so lack of them now is not unusual.
    There is also the prospect of one or two of the youngsters actually getting a shot at first team football if the players on tour is anything to go by. But I won't hold my breath on that one.

Highlights of Cardiff City’s penalty shoot out victory against Real Valladolid at the link below

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...alty-shootout/

Caught most of the second half on stream but turned off before penalties as had no clue they were happening.

Who's the number 30 with the ponytail? They appear at 3 minutes in the video.

Penalties???? Did we win a trophy?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree with your last paragraph, but, because the club have said nothing about the behind closed doors game with Forest Green, we know very little about who played in that match - perhaps another such game could be arranged within the next fortnight?

Also, I think the reference to a crisis earlier in the thread is a bit over the top. The US tour has tended to mirror what has always been clear, in the Championship at least, that is, we're a low scoring side (most teams that finish up as runners up in the second tier score more than sixty nine goals) under Neil Warnock, but we're also solid defensively.

Although he finished his spell at Cardiff as something of a figure of derision, Oumar Niasse was our first choice striker for much of the second half of last season and did turn in some impressive performances despite his lack of goals. At the moment, we've lost him, Zohore and Healey without bringing in a striker, while three first team midfielders have left with only one new one bought in. We are definitely weaker than last season as of now and more first team quality players are needed, but the situation does not become a crisis until the window closes without further additions to our squad and, even then, there will be the opportunity to make loan signings for a while I believe (though I'm not 100 percent sure of that).
    I’d almost forgotten about Niasse 😂

Impossible for Madine or Bogle to contribute any less in terms of goals and assists than he did.

However with all due respect, I can’t see any of the strikers we’ve got getting more than a goal every 3 or 4 games and surely we can’t go up a 3rd time without a big scoring striker.

It’s such a shame as we have some real pace and creativity with Reid, Murphy, Hoillet , NML, Tomlin etc.. I also think we will see the best of Ralls with runners and movement in front of him and Vaulks to do the donkey work.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Who's the number 30 with the ponytail? They appear at 3 minutes in the video.
    Ciaran Brown.

Who's no 33 with a ponytail?

Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    Who's no 33 with a ponytail?
    33 hasn't got one but 30 is Ciaran Brown.

Maybe this week with the return of the manager we might see some progress or announcements about signings and even some clue about what we're generally up to.
    What I'd considered the obvious path to a fairly straightforward success in the Championship hasn't been followed and I'm hoping that he's got something else definite in mind - perhaps we're going to see a big surprise like the return of Camarassa or Arter ?

In any case, I hope something more constructive than that which we know about has been going on behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Ciaran Brown.
    Thanks.

First Team

Day the penalty hero

I did type it tongue-in-cheek. However, I can't help but draw a comparison with the other team I watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbfIijXdZhY

Phoenix are in the same league as New Mexico and San Antonio. And Austin are above both of those in the league.

Valladolid highlights

International

With the club split between us tours and west country tours I'd like to know what the more knowledgeable posters on here make of the youngsters being taken to US. Can we have any prospect of seeing some come through and if not what was the point of taking them?

Did Etheridge play any part in the game ?

Quote Originally Posted by dicey1966 View Post
    Did Etheridge play any part in the game ?
    No.

Looks like on tour Etheridge and Day played 45 mins each at San Antonio, Etheridge got 90 mins at New Mexico and Day got the 90 mins v Valladolid (with the added bonus of a penalty shoot out)