+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EXTINCTION REBELLION, council conspiracy!!!!!!!!

EXTINCTION REBELLION, council conspiracy!!!!!!!!

I have a friend who is a councillor and he maintains that Cardiff Council, willingly wanted to shut off Cardiff City centre, to judge the impact on traffic.

They, the council, have for years, wanted to treat Cardiff like London and stop traffic going through the centre.

By letting EXTINCTION REBELLION, shut it off, EXTINCTION REBELLION, take the flack and the council get 3 days to test the feeling, without getting it in the neck.

Council won’t be happy until Cardiff city centre is all bus and bike lanes (deliveries in the night)

Re: EXTINCTION REBELLION, council conspiracy!!!!!!!!

How did it happen in the other cities in the UK? They also got their answer, absolute chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I have a friend who is a councillor and he maintains that Cardiff Council, willingly wanted to shut off Cardiff City centre, to judge the impact on traffic.

They, the council, have for years, wanted to treat Cardiff like London and stop traffic going through the centre.

By letting EXTINCTION REBELLION, shut it off, EXTINCTION REBELLION, take the flack and the council get 3 days to test the feeling, without getting it in the neck.

Council won’t be happy until Cardiff city centre is all bus and bike lanes (deliveries in the night)
    Where in central London stops traffic going through it?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Downing Street?

Even the most pedantic of people wouldn’t pick up on the word STOP !!!!

Ok, maybe I should have used the word “DETER”, as the congestion charge deters some people from going through London, but it STOPS me !!!!!
    Never used it, never paid it (apart from coach companies, but that’s not me.

So that’s why I used STOP, as it STOPS me

Only last year, or council had a report done, on the impact of CHARGING to drive through Cardiff

Isn't limiting the number of cars and improving the public transport into a city a good thing though?

Surely nobody would want to go back to queen Street not being pedestrianised?

Isn't limiting the number of cars and improving the public transport into a city a good thing though?
    NO

Not in the case of Cardiff, which is a coastal city, not a central drive through city.

We need more access roads, not less.

Less increases jams, thus increasing pollution

Wouldn't better trains, buses and park and ride schemes reduce traffic and pollution too though.

The pedestrianised part of Cardiff is the best bit of it.

Even the most pedantic of people wouldn’t pick up on the word STOP !!!!

Ok, maybe I should have used the word “DETER”, as the congestion charge deters some people from going through London, but it STOPS me !!!!!
    Never used it, never paid it (apart from coach companies, but that’s not me.

So that’s why I used STOP, as it STOPS me

Only last year, or council had a report done, on the impact of CHARGING to drive through Cardiff
    Your last sentence also says "Council won’t be happy until Cardiff city centre is all bus and bike lanes (deliveries in the night)"

Where are these access roads going to go? The only options are flyovers all the way or along the river. I doubt anyone wants this. More roads just means more traffic; the number of cars will never the stay the same, it'll only increase. Encouraging fewer cars to use the city centre is the only answer and the thing that always works best is charging money for the pleasure.

NO

Not in the case of Cardiff, which is a coastal city, not a central drive through city.

Or you create a city that requires less cars, and then diverts the access roads around Cardiff...

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Your last sentence also says "Council won’t be happy until Cardiff city centre is all bus and bike lanes (deliveries in the night)"

Where are these access roads going to go? The only options are flyovers all the way or along the river. I doubt anyone wants this. More roads just means more traffic; the number of cars will never the stay the same, it'll only increase. Encouraging fewer cars to use the city centre is the only answer and the thing that always works best is charging money for the pleasure.
    System of tunnels like Boston?
    Can't see anyone paying for that lot.

Jill, what do you think about the pedestrianisation of Cardiff city centre? I’ll be honest I’m dead against it. People forget that traders need access to DIXONS... They do say it’ll help people in wheEEEeelchairs…

International

Wouldn't better trains, buses and park and ride schemes reduce traffic and pollution too though.

The pedestrianised part of Cardiff is the best bit of it.
    I'd question the totality of this post and your previous one.
    yes less cars and more public transport is good but we know from experience we get one without the other. they will, if they get the chance stop cars but the public transport to compensate for that will not be funded and will not be in place.

The second comment is only partially true. Queen street has been pedestrian for so long its only olde duffers like me that can remember when it wasn't and its is OK, but the pedestrianising of St Mary street was and is a disaster. It ruined businesses and footfall of people who spend money fell. you only have to og there to see that shops are always closing . It was great before and allowed the passage of the public transport you advocate. If it was still open there would not be a lock-out when something was going on at the stadium, which drives even more shoppers out of the centre on top of the ones who don't come because of the event anyway. doing your shopping on a Saturday then finding the buses have stopped 3 hours before an event is scheduled, and having to carry your shopping to the far end of Tudor Street, and still pay the same fare, is not the way to bring people onto public transport.

Isn't St Mary's street being empty more to do with the indoor shopping centres rather than the pedestrianisation?

Who was driving to St Mary St to shop that doesn't go any more? You can still drive and park a few minutes walk away (Sophia Gardens and the multi storeys).

Great, the sooner we get to an Amsterdam level the better.....

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Who was driving to St Mary St to shop that doesn't go any more? You can still drive and park a few minutes walk away (Sophia Gardens and the multi storeys).
    What people can do and what they do do are different things. People walking into the centre tend to bypass the top of St Mary street because of the route they take. Also you used to be able to park in the evening if you went for a meal. But the worst part is the loss of the road to public transport which the council claim to want everyone to use

I'd agree with most above, City Centre is pretty much closed anyway, as it is we can just skirt it around the castle or Penarth road the other way, it would be crazy to close anything further though?

NO

You should read this. You're so wrong it's painful.

https://www.tsu.ox.ac.uk/pubs/1062-g...nny-stokes.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    What people can do and what they do do are different things. People walking into the centre tend to bypass the top of St Mary street because of the route they take. Also you used to be able to park in the evening if you went for a meal. But the worst part is the loss of the road to public transport which the council claim to want everyone to use
    Do you have any proof of this? I wouldn’t think not being able to drive down st Mary’s has had a big affect on the number of people using the shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    You should read this. You're so wrong it's painful.

https://www.tsu.ox.ac.uk/pubs/1062-g...nny-stokes.pdf
    Got bored just reading the title

30 year old twaddle

The other effect is the large financial business in Cardiff which up the economy and provide jobs , they were badly effected and at teems you have to be careful what you wish for

International

[QUOTE=rudy gestede;4989043]Do you have any proof of this? I wouldn’t think not being able to drive down st Mary’s has had a big affect on the number of people using the shops.[/QUOTE

You're entitled to think what you like. Carry on

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The other effect is the large financial business in Cardiff which up the economy and provide jobs , they were badly effected and at teems you have to be careful what you wish for
    No one is banning people from the city though.

Public transport just needs to be improved and people need to get less overly dependent on cars. The large financial institutions in London don't seem to be affected by people not driving to them.