+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EXTINCTION REBELLION, council conspiracy!!!!!!!!

Re: EXTINCTION REBELLION, council conspiracy!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=xsnaggle;4989054]
    Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Do you have any proof of this? I wouldn’t think not being able to drive down st Mary’s has had a big affect on the number of people using the shops.[/QUOTE

You're entitled to think what you like. Carry on
    So there's no proof then?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I have a friend who is a councillor and he maintains that Cardiff Council, willingly wanted to shut off Cardiff City centre, to judge the impact on traffic.

They, the council, have for years, wanted to treat Cardiff like London and stop traffic going through the centre.

By letting EXTINCTION REBELLION, shut it off, EXTINCTION REBELLION, take the flack and the council get 3 days to test the feeling, without getting it in the neck.

Council won’t be happy until Cardiff city centre is all bus and bike lanes (deliveries in the night)

You can drive through most of London except you have to pay the climate bribe.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Who was driving to St Mary St to shop that doesn't go any more? You can still drive and park a few minutes walk away (Sophia Gardens and the multi storeys).
    Clearly have no idea about how people shop. Ever heard of the mantra location, location, location.

I've seen businesses fail because of customers of having to walk across a street or just around a corner.

If you think that parking in Sophia Gardens isn't going to deter a large number of people shopping then you're deluded.

The 'shopping centre' needs as much as it can to thrive, in light of online shopping, homogeneous out of town retail parks, car parking charges, huge rates and rents.

The days of town thriving with individualised shops, cafes and restaurants are long gone, as only corporates can afford to do so.

Most of Cardiff city centre is owned by London or off shore pension vehicles.

A desolate, shabby or 'corporatised' city centre will Cardiff and it's image any good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Clearly have no idea about how people shop. Ever heard of the mantra location, location, location.

I've seen businesses fail because of customers of having to walk across a street or just around a corner.

If you think that parking in Sophia Gardens isn't going to deter a large number of people shopping then you're deluded.

The 'shopping centre' needs as much as it can to thrive, in light of online shopping, homogeneous out of town retail parks, car parking charges, huge rates and rents.

The days of town thriving with individualised shops, cafes and restaurants are long gone, as only corporates can afford to do so.

A desolate, shabby or 'corporatised' city centre will Cardiff and it's image any good at all.
    Are you saying you used to park outside each shop you went to on St Mary St? Then drive over to another bit of town? Or did you walk?

As it happens, you've mentioned a lot of things which are undoubtedly genuine factors in the decline of SMS. If you think that being able to park outside the shops is the biggest factor then you're deluded.

Even the most pedantic of people wouldn’t pick up on the word STOP !!!!

Ok, maybe I should have used the word “DETER”, as the congestion charge deters some people from going through London, but it STOPS me !!!!!
    Never used it, never paid it (apart from coach companies, but that’s not me.

So that’s why I used STOP, as it STOPS me

Only last year, or council had a report done, on the impact of CHARGING to drive through Cardiff
    Did your mate tell you that too

You’ve undermined your whole point by then listing the genuine reasons

Think location location location means being able to park outside it too

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Are you saying you used to park outside each shop you went to on St Mary St? Then drive over to another bit of town? Or did you walk?

As it happens, you've mentioned a lot of things which are undoubtedly genuine factors in the decline of SMS. If you think that being able to park outside the shops is the biggest factor then you're deluded.
    I think it is a generational thing. I live neat to the town of Pontypridd and they seem to be in a constant battle of whether to pedestrianize the high street or not. Now they allow buses down the high street, instead of a stop 100 yards away.

Personally i dislike the shopping experience where you have traffic driving between you, cars parked, and limited space in on the walkways.

With Cardiff I love parking in Sophia Gardens, walking through Bute Park, and into the city centre. Coming back to the car laden with bags. It is all part of the shopping experience.

Got bored just reading the title

30 year old twaddle
    I imagine your brain is stuck in about 1980, so it's ahead of your time anyway.

Westgate Street the next to be pedestrianised.

And on this part - it's now quicker to cross St Mary St. I remember having to wait for ages for the lights at the Goat.

St Mary's Street pedestrianisation (is that a word?) has been a mess for me. Previously was a decent thoroughfare, can't see how that could possibly have any positive influence on footfall or the success of businesses in the area.

Most telling thing for me is walking through the arcades that run into the street, in a lot of the shop windows are the posters supporting the reopening of the street to traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Did your mate tell you that too
    No, I read it in the EGGO

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I imagine your brain is stuck in about 1980, so it's ahead of your time anyway.
    1960’s me if it’s not Motown, it’s not worth listening to

Lots of Cardiff city centre is actually owned by the council. They get a fair amount of rent from it too

International

I do love these keyboard adjudicators who demand "Proof" every time someone disagrees with anything they post.
    If they were like that with people in the pub they'd last about 2 minutes before they were billy no mates.

Oh hangon................

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I do love these keyboard adjudicators who demand "Proof" every time someone disagrees with anything they post.
    If they were like that with people in the pub they'd last about 2 minutes before they were billy no mates.

I don't think it's any worse than someone stating a "fact" they've pulled out of their arse.

I think all the shops on St Mary’s street are closing down because of all the old white men. Don’t @ me.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post

Have you got a link showing that people demand proof when you disagree with them ?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I don't think it's any worse than someone stating a "fact" they've pulled out of their arse.
    you are such a know-all the only thing that needs pulling out of your arse is your head. I don't say things are "Fact" I just say what I believe based on my life experiences and the things I see hear and read. I don 't research every little detail of every post before I press 'send'. i have better things to do with my life.
    I don't give a toss what you think. you're a keyboard all perfect anti anything slightly not PC defender. In any post you and people like you look for the slightest thing they you can pic at particularly if you can play the race card.
    You are a non-entity. Get a life, you are silly! And I said if you did what you do here in the pub, picking at every thing that is said, demanding "Proof" every time someone said something, you wouldn't last 2 minutes. But I suppose that's why your not in the pub.

International

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Have you got a link showing that people demand proof when you disagree with them ?
    As it happns I have but I'm going to post it as Wales Bales. That'll confuse them.

Ah you're a terrible man !

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Great, the sooner we get to an Amsterdam level the better.....
    Amsterdam has a good transport network, whereas Cardiff's is shite

International

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Amsterdam has a good transport network, whereas Cardiff's is shite
    don't beat about the bush man, say what you mean!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Or you create a city that requires less cars, and then diverts the access roads around Cardiff...
    Well there's a long way to go. I live 4 miles from the city centre and we get a bus service every 90 minutes. Just hopeless

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Well there's a long way to go. I live 4 miles from the city centre and we get a bus service every 90 minutes. Just hopeless
    I live 3 miles from the city centre and we get a bus every 10 minutes