+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Young people ordering food in restaurants

Re: Young people ordering food in restaurants

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
    Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

Just remember that when you think your generation was more polite and more well spoken

'The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.'

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

Just remember that when you think your generation was more polite and more well spoken

Yes, but nowhere in that did the Greek kids stoop so low as to say 'Can I get'!

Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

Plato (424-347 BC)
    A student of Socrates, and presumably in the generation that he was complaining about ....
    “Our youth have an insatiable desire for wealth; they have bad manners and atrocious customs regarding dressing and their hair and what garments or shoes they wear.”

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    'The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.'

Yes, but nowhere in that did the Greek kids stoop so low as to say 'Can I get'!
    or **** off you old bastard when challenging shit behaviors

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Who'd have thought, that as more and more American tv programmes are watched on this side of the pond, that people are influenced by the language used?

Ps they're 'series' not 'seasons' btw
    The American English used in Boardwalk Empire was perfectly dated beautiful and flawless. They often use the language better than us.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Who'd have thought, that as more and more American tv programmes are watched on this side of the pond, that people are influenced by the language used?

Ps they're 'series' not 'seasons' btw
    Indeed, I work in Germany on a regular basis and they are saying the same. There is a major fear that as English is the language of the internet, the German Language is being undermined & bastardised via media.

I have staff of 26 different global nationalities working for me. For many English is taught at school as their 2nd language, however for many others, the common response is that they learnt their English via Nickelodeon, The Disney Channel or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Indeed, I work in Germany on a regular basis and they are saying the same. There is a major fear that as English is the language of the internet, the German Language is being undermined & bastardised via media.

I have staff of 26 different global nationalities working for me. For many English is taught at school as their 2nd language, however for many others, the common response is that they learnt their English via Nickelodeon, The Disney Channel or similar.
    TV has always been a great way of learning a language, it's why countries where they have subtitles not dubbed tv shows and movies usually has better English speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    TV has always been a great way of learning a language, it's why countries where they have subtitles not dubbed tv shows and movies usually has better English speakers.
    ...and American accents.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    ...and American accents.
    What's wrong with that? What accent should a foreign languagebe spoken in?

What's wrong with that? What accent should a foreign languagebe spoken in?
    I watched Keeping Faith (the "English" language version) last night and needed sub-titles!

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    Hypocrisy from the child who cries because someone dares to reply to his racist comment, followed by don't @ me.

You're funny, but not in a good way 🤪🤣🤣🤣
    Who dis?

Who dis?
    I think that one was Aristotle

Aris is right at least

People have been saying this for millenia, buck the trend and don't become a miserable old **** by believing it.
    English hasn't been around for Millenia.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    English hasn't been around for Millenia.
    People were saying this before there was English. In terms of the meaning, not the exact words.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

You should see what's happening to Welsh.

It's not only youngsters. I was at Big Pit recently and one of the guides, a former Miner, kept saying learn when he meant teach.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    "Back in the day......" It should only be allowed after dark.
    Marquee signing. A marquee is a big fugging tent
    "Complete the form and give it back to myself" grrrrrrrrrr.

I feel better now I've had a moan

A marquee player is an athlete who is considered exceptionally popular, skilled, or otherwise outstanding, especially in professional sports.[1] Its name comes from theater marquees, on which the names of the stars of productions in said theater are often emblazoned in order to draw spectators.

(Just looked it up 😆)