+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's the best Championship/Division 1 team you've seen City play

Who's the best Championship/Division 1 team you've seen City play

Apart from City !!

Mine would have to be West Ham 1980/81. Martin, Devonshire, Bonds, Lampard etc

Not sure why that team has always stuck in the mind...might be that they won the league at a canter and I think won the FA Cup soon after ?

Any others?

Re: Who's the best Championship/Division 1 team you've seen City play

For me it has to be Forest in November '76. 3-0 home defeat. Could have been a lot worse. They were awesome that day!

Reading 2005/6

Reading gets my vote too. They gave us two hidings that season.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Reading 2005/6
    This 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    For me it has to be Forest in November '76. 3-0 home defeat. Could have been a lot worse. They were awesome that day!
    100% first away side a applauded off,best side by a mile

We were in the same league as big Sam's notes county side who won the third division by an absolute mile in 1998, but I can't remember either game

Reading 05/06.
    Newcastle maybe 09/10, made it look easy against us at home without them getting out of first gear and battered us away.

I concur with the majority on here

Yep Forest and Reading for me too. Amazingly after we got walloped 3-0 by Forest, we won the away game 1-0, the last time Forest lost at home for over 40 matches I believe.

Think that 42 game unbeaten run included away games as well. Pretty impressive !

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Yes that one and also Chelsea the same season, when Ray Wilkins ran the game on his own. Also Middlesbrough 73/4? But we beat them I think. Reading in the 2000s too, and Newcastle twice in the last few years.

Warnock's qpr were a good team, lost count of the number of last minute winners they kept pulling out the bag

Bournemouth a few years ago were great

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I concur with the majority on here
    Can you remember that far back?

The pace / tempo was incredible. Goal kicks, corners, free kicks, throws all taken instantly. City came 3rd in both games that season.

Have to concur with Reading. Luton 1981/82 were also light years better than us. Also remember the Wigan team who got promoted playing us off the park

Manchester Utd

Spurs, season 1977-78. We actually did okay against them that season.. 0-0 at home and a narrow loss of 2-1 away. West Ham when they were in Division 2 (as it was then) played some slick football.

Pearcey is going to like this.. Reading were the most complete side I'd seen against us in 2005/6. They were strong in every department.

Got to be that Forest side under Clough, although that was division 2, don’t know if the OP was restricting it to the Premier Division era?

I can only say after we went up in play offs would go Reading and then Newcastle as 2nd

Reading in 05/06 were superb, and equally that Newcastle side in 09/10 just held us at arm's length and never let us have a sniff.

Interesting nobody is saying Wolvesalona, and rightly so in my opinion but the media would have you think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Yes that one and also Chelsea the same season, when Ray Wilkins ran the game on his own. Also Middlesbrough 73/4? But we beat them I think. Reading in the 2000s too, and Newcastle twice in the last few years.
    We beat that Middlesbrough team 3-2 after they had been promoted. Got be Reading 05/06 for me.

What no votes for the jacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Can you remember that far back?

The pace / tempo was incredible. Goal kicks, corners, free kicks, throws all taken instantly. City came 3rd in both games that season.
    It was a team that just blended. No really outstanding players but everyone knew their job. Sidwell and Harper in central midfield with Convey and Glenn Little playing wide. Upfront we had a young Kevin Doyle alongside Dave Kitson with Lita and Shane Long in support. Our full-backs were Shorey and Marty but my favourite player was Ibrahima Sonko at centre back. He was immense that season. Ingimarsson was alongside him with Hahnemann in goal.

We lost our opening game at home to Plymouth which was a poor result but from there we didn’t lose again until well into the New Year

The reading team that ran away with it really clicked and were playing pretty much at their peak. The Newcastle side with Nolan et al i think had more in the tank, they never should have been relegated with that team